PDA

View Full Version : Highway Named for Emery

thedrifter
10-09-08, 07:31 PM
Highway Named for Emery
Reported by: Adam Paluka
Thursday, Oct 9, 2008 @06:31pm EST

MARIAN TOWNSHIP, CENTRE COUNTY - A year and a half ago DJ Emery's life changed forever. A suicide bomber in Iraq tried kill Emery and his fellow Marines.

On Thursday, a five mile stretch of State Route 26 was renamed in honor of marine sergeant DJ Emery.

State Representative Mike Hanna and State Senator Jake Corman sponsored the bill to get the highway named after the Purple Heart recipient.

“He represents courage, not only courage to join the Marines and go and fight for our country, but when wounded as he was significantly, losing both legs and some other injuries as well, the courage to persevere through that,” Senator Corman, ( R ) 34th District, said.

For Emery the honor is a little strange; he travels the stretch of road at least once a week.

“Last week, I was on my way home from therapy, and I saw the sign on the bypass up there that was partially covered up and it . . . I don’t know it felt weird,” he said.

Corman said Emery’s highway, and others like it, is a reminder that our veterans deserve our appreciation.

“It is important for us to remember those people who have put their lives on hold and fight for our country,” Corman said.

As for Emery, he said he is doing well. He is in a wheel chair, and is looking forward to walking with the help of prosthetics.

A special guest was also that ceremony, Emery's daughter Carly, he said he is very thankful for her.

“In the hospital, when I found out I lost my legs, that was one of my biggest concerns. How was I going to provide for her, and just be able to go in the yard and play with her and stuff. But really now that I’m healthy we can do everything. There's nothing that me and her cant do together.”

At the ceremony, the Emery family made sure to thank the countless number of people from across the region who helped their family in DJ’s time of need.

Ellie