PDA

View Full Version : Thousands turn out to remember vets who fought, won World War II

thedrifter
10-06-08, 09:18 AM
Thousands turn out to remember vets who fought, won World War II
By Deb Kelly
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — The roar of plane engines and the sight of propellers spinning on the air field were just one part of a weekend in which thousands of people stepped back into an era of Big Band, war bonds and rationing.

The spirit of the 1940s was alive Sunday on the final day of the first Victory Days at the Terre Haute International Airport-Hulman Field.

Women in World War II-era hats and dresses walked past vintage cars and military police in original military uniforms from that time period. On loud speakers across the air field, big band music played. In a hangar, men dressed in 1940s-era suits did an Abbott and Costello routine before a microphone, part of a radio show viewed by a captivated audience. In another hangar, women sat at a kitchen table, surrounded by the appliances, cookbooks and dishes of the same bygone era.

Outside, across the shimmering expanse of runway, massive World War II-era bombers towered over awed spectators, and applause suddenly erupted as paratroopers began jumping from silver jets in the sky.

On a grassy area adjacent to the runway, dark green military tents housed re-enactors portraying soldiers and other key figures from the time. A full-blown M.A.S.H. unit featured original medical equipment and vehicles.

William Hulett, a World War II veteran who fought with the Air Force and was stationed in Tokyo, sat in a lawn chair most of the day Sunday, watching the planes take off and perform maneuvers.

Hulett, who lives in Worthington, said he came to Victory Days “to see what was going on and to see all the old, familiar aircraft.

“I started out in the Army Air Corps, stationed in Tokyo, Japan, starting in the Japan occupation,” Hulett said. “I saw [General Douglas] MacArthur, saluted him every morning on my way to work.”

Dan and Jerry Hulett, who came with their father, said when they heard about Victory Days, they knew it was something they would attend.

Dan Hulett said, “We love air shows … like Jerry always says, we grew up at the end of the runway; we just love planes.”

Jerry Hulett chimed in, “Especially the World War II planes.”

“We got pretty excited about this,” William Hulett said with a grin.

Jerry Hulett, who is from Indianapolis, added, “What I particularly like about this one is the whole World War II era dress, the whole ambience, it’s amazing, I love it.”

In addition to original uniforms worn by military re-enactors throughout the event, some participants and visitors wore civilian fashions of the 1940s.

Julie Coffin, along with her daughters Elizabeth, 15, Evelyn, 13, and Eleanor, 10, strolled around the air field dressed in original vintage dresses, hats and shoes of the era.

The family, who traveled from Spencer to attend, took part in a style show in the Home Front component of Victory Days. They wore borrowed clothing from an extensive 1940s collection of Deb Jordan, also out of Spencer.

Coffin’s youngest daughter, Eleanor, said in addition to dressing the part, she really enjoyed “watching all the planes.”

Julie Coffin, whose father is a World War II veteran, said she appreciated the historical nature of the event.

“It’s been really neat being here,” she said as a group of planes flew past.

“Thinking about the fact that my father is 84,” Coffin added. “It’s so important for people to be aware of this, because pretty soon, there won’t be anyone left to talk about it who was there.”

That sentiment was echoed by Darrel Zeck, media director for Victory Days, who also piloted a vintage Stinson plane as part of the festivities.

“We’re losing a thousand of these guys a day,” he said, referring to World War II veterans.

Mayor Duke Bennett attended Sunday with his wife Pam. Bennett also spent time at Victory Days on Friday.

“It’s very neat,” Bennett said. “My dad was a World War II veteran, he fought in the Marines. It’s just a real important time in our history, it’s so great for the kids to get to come and learn about.

“We really hope to build on this next year,” he added.

Zeck said it was difficult to give a number of tickets sold or spectators who attended the program through the weekend, as organizers needed to debrief at the close of Victory Days.

However, he said the event had been successful and that it is “absolutely staying here” for the following year.

“I can say we had a good turnout,” he added. “Everybody that was here, from what I could see, had a big smile on their face.”

The event has been in the planning stages for several years, but it was only about four months ago that the original location of Columbus, Ind. became unavailable due to the summer flooding.

Organizers quickly had to switch gears, find a new location and pull the massive undertaking together.

With 35 World War II-era planes – “seven of which are P-51 Mustangs,” Zeck said proudly – a large amount of war-era memorabilia, re-enactment equipment and personnel, vintage cars, entertainment acts, and hundreds of volunteers to organize, Victory Days was no small feat.

Zeck said in future years, one goal would be to increase safety precautions on the runway so spectators could have plenty of time to spend up close with the planes. Another goal would be to improve transportation for visitors on the ground so that “when they step through that fence, they step into the time period,” Zeck said.

Visitors were able to travel around the air field at no cost on golf carts, and some got rides in vintage vehicles or on trolleys pulled by vintage tractors. Zeck would like to see the golf carts slowly disappear, and even more 40s cars at the event to transport spectators, he said.

“I gotta say it’s successful,” Zeck added. “The first year especially, you’ve got to stay away from focusing just on one number and saying that’s how you determine success. For us, the amount of participants, the amount of visitors that walked away from here learning something, going ‘Oh, wow,’ or totally excited – that, for me and the rest of the staff, says that this event was successful.”

For more information about Victory Days, visit www.victorydays.org.

Deb Kelly can be reached at (812) 231-4254 or deb.kelly@tribstar.com.

Ellie