PDA

View Full Version : Marines, marching band make music together

thedrifter
10-04-08, 05:18 AM
Marines, marching band make music together
By Shane Robinson / For the Hi-Desert Star
Friday, October 3, 2008 11:56 PM PDT

YUCCA VALLEY — Musicians from the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center helped Yucca Valley High School band members hone their skills at a clinic held at the high school Tuesday.

The Marines aided band members in marching, playing techniques, tone production and other key aspects of music.

Covering almost three hours, the clinic included performances by both the Marine and the Trojan marching bands.

At the beginning of the clinic, the Marines split up into groups with the high school students according to instruments. The high schoolers said they enjoyed the format because it gave them an opportunity to go one-on-one with the Marines.

“The coaching helped me a lot with my breathing and technique,” said Trojan band member Ryan Fauls, echoing a general theme of what the band members had to say about the event.

Said Marine Sgt. Andrew Haig, “The experience was really rewarding for both the Marines and the students. You could tell that the students were actually absorbing the material. I had a great time and hope to participate in a teaching experience again soon.”

Teacher Bill Barrett, the leader of the Trojan marching band, was happy to see the Marine band coming out to help his kids in the culmination of a plan that began when Barrett met Warrant Officer Stephen Giove during a job shadowing in May.

Giove offered to bring the Marines over to Yucca Valley to help Barrett’s band students and stage performances by both of the bands. Barrett was only too happy to take him up on his offer.

Ellie