PDA

View Full Version : expenses

briansmom
05-23-03, 04:23 PM
I read somewhere that you are charged for everything, and I mean everything, to the point that after 3 months in boot they might have 600-700 dollars left out of their paychecks? this cant be true,...

Barrio_rat
05-23-03, 04:37 PM
I don't know current pay scales and such but what I do remember is that they "set aside" a certain amount so that a new Marine will not arrive to their first duty station/schooling flat broke. He will also be required to buy his plane ticket home (it doesn't matter if you are going to be there to pick him up and drive him home - if you do this, he will be reimbursed at his next duty station) and to the nearest airport to his next assigned post. That takes a great deal out of the pay check. And yes, in the Marines we pay for all of our uniforms - they are the best, so they ain't cheap. I'm sure Sixguns will be able to fill you in much more than I can. It'll give him something to do now that he has all that free time...

Also, something for him (and any of you others who are going to Boot Camp) to know is, when you get to your first duty station he'll have to fill out dates and times of arrival and departure from the time he graduates to the time he arrives at his duty station. This is done every time a Marine makes a change of duty station but is a bit overwhelming when done for the first time - there also tend to be a few more stops along the way, if driving.

Hope this helped

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-03, 09:58 PM
Barrio Rat hit on an important point. He will need to know the times and other details of all transportation for a travel claim. If he already has this information available, it will make things easier.
As for the pay. I know when I graduated I didn't have $2000 coming to me, and I spent over a month extra at MCRD. Yes, there are expenses that will be deducted from his pay. Yes, he will have to pay for hair cuts, hygeine supplies, and other essentials. Things don't come free, the Marine Corps isn't funded well enough to do that. With that being said, he will still have a nice amount of money coming to him. By now, it may even be $2000, someone else would be better prepared to tell you how much. But, as a new enlistee in the Marine Corps, taking care of a family would be a struggle at best. This is why several years ago there were some issues about allowing those with that responsibility to enlist. Privates and Privated First Class are not well paid, it is sad, but a fact.

Sixguns
05-27-03, 06:59 PM
True.

A recuit will have uniforms and oher issued items deducted from his final pay. In a sense, he will get three months of pay, but probably only come home with two months pay. All recruits gat a debit card to pay for goods and services while in training. About the last week of training the bills are settled and the recruit is given his final pay. His travel isreimbursed by the government. We provide all tickets from MEPS to Parris Island. When he leaves MCRD, he is only getting paid from his duty assignment to his next duty assignment. So, in other words, Parris Island, SC to Camp Geiger, NC. Not a lot of money at .34 a mile. Any travel he does outside of point A to point b is at his own expense (going home on leave).

SF,

SIXGUNS