PDA

View Full Version : Marine visits Plainfield school to thank children for their support

thedrifter
09-26-08, 07:29 AM
View from the front
Marine visits Plainfield school to thank children for their support

September 26, 2008
By LOUISE BRASS lbrass@scn1.com

Under a colorful display of flags from 60 nations hanging in the school cafeteria, Sgt. Chris Bay of the U.S. Marine Corps shared lunch and chatted with seventh- and eighth-grade students recently at Ira Jones Middle School in Plainfield.

"He's a hero," said Alana Saad, a student at the school. "I think if you support the troops and the Army then you are doing a very important thing, because we are getting an education right now, and we don't have to worry about being bombed."

The 26-year-old Marine said he believes America's mission in Iraq is an important one.

"I think our forces being over there has prevented them from coming over here," Bay said. "They are so busy worrying about us over there that they don't have time to plan something over here."

The devotion shown by the students and staff was appreciated, he said, including writing to him while he was serving overseas.

"Especially now, because now you don't see the ribbons on all the cars, or flags on all the houses," he said. "You know it takes a little more now for someone to do this because it's not something they think about all the time. It takes a lot for someone to do all that."

The students had many questions for the Marine, including about life overseas, why he went and what students are like in other countries.

Brian Smith said he was impressed with Bay.

"He was telling us like how we should be. He's cool," he said.

"I feel like I have a guy to look up to. He helped our country and helped people," said Garret Ryan after meeting Bay.

"I think he's very brave," Katey Donaldson said.

The platoon leader served in Iraq in 2004 and then again this year for six months. He is a native of Tinley Park and joined the Marines after the United States was attacked Sept. 11, 2001. It was a turning point for him.

"They are very proud to be over there protecting America because they love the country they are fighting for," his mother said, looking up at the flags in the school cafeteria.

The students wanted to make sure that the members of the Armed Forces know that they care, so they sent hundreds of letters and about 19 care packages to the troops thorough the YMCA Caring And Sharing Team program, said Kristy Davies, spokeswoman for the Joliet YMCA.

"A lot of the kids don't remember Sept. 11, but some of them do," Davies said.

Bay talked with the students about their favorite sports and asked how they were doing in school. He especially thanked them for remembering those who fight for them.

It's a fight that America and its allies are winning, Bay told the Plainfield Sun.

"It's a total turnaround. In 2004, when I was in Iraq, it was a country at war and now businesses are starting up again, the schools are back in (session), everything is being rebuilt. It's just a turnaround.

"There wasn't a whole lot for us to do as far as fighting. It was nice to be able to concentrate on helping the people out there," Bay said.

When he returned from Iraq in August, one of the first things he did was set a date to meet with the students at Ira Jones, because the kids have been so generous to the troops, he said.

Principal Ed Boswell said the students and staff were very excited about the visit.

"I think now-a-days, the students are more informed. They tend to know more than we think. School is such a great place for kids to talk. Our teachers can guide them through conversations that can be sensitive in nature and really understand the role of America around the world, and the role of true heroes like Chris Bay," Boswell said.

"His coming back to visit us is such an honor. Now instead of just writing a letter to someone's name, now they can put a face to a name and really meet him," Boswell said.

Ellie