PDA

View Full Version : Deployment Question

Loggerhead
09-21-08, 10:55 PM
How long did it take for you to deploy from the end of bootcamp to you getting deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan and how long was your tour?

rvillac2
09-22-08, 02:40 AM
You may deploy as soon as you join your unit after your MOS school or not ever. There is no standard timing. Length of tours is however long it takes. We don't disclose troop movements here. Your real name could be Haji.

Pete0331
09-22-08, 03:14 AM
How long did it take for you to deploy from the end of bootcamp to you getting deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan and how long was your tour?

From the day I graduated ITB it was one month to the day that I was in Kuwait waiting to go into Iraq. Deployment was 9 months.
That was back in 2003.

0231Marine
09-22-08, 12:07 PM
You may deploy as soon as you join your unit after your MOS school or not ever. There is no standard timing. Length of tours is however long it takes. We don't disclose troop movements here. Your real name could be Haji.

Well, they publish the unit locations and deployment schedules in Marine Corps Times and USMC.MIL so it's not classified information.

Back on topic though, I hit the fleet in July 2003 and I was in Kuwait on February 14th 2004. Drove up to Ramadi 2 weeks later in a soft back HMMWV...lol. This was before IED's of course. The deployment lasted 7 months and my unit began an annual rotation of 7 months deployed and 5 in CONUS for the next 4 years.

jinelson
10-04-08, 12:42 AM

Good question Loggerhead and welcome aboard!

Jim

bgsuwoody
10-04-08, 03:25 AM
I've known people who it who deployed 1 month after SOI and I am deploying 10 months after bootcamp it all depends on the needs of the Marine Corps.