PDA

View Full Version : Just another shot

DevsDad
09-12-08, 02:00 PM
Guys, my son was home for a few days last week. It sure was great to see him. He shared an event with me of something that happened to him that I wanted to pass along to you. It had never happened before and hasnt happened since but was a profound event for him and he is a better Marine for it. I couldnt figure out exactly how to tell it so I wrote it as a lttle story. I may not have all of the specifics right (arms position, order of the service), but the jist is there. I hope its OK to post here.

It was just another “shot”, another funeral at Arlington for the detail from 8th and I. The team had already done 2 that day, 7 for the week, 15 for the month and so on and so on. They had all perfected the blank stare, focusing on something straight ahead but outside of the immediate field of vision thus avoiding direct eye contact with the family of the Marine being laid to rest. World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, it doesn’t matter what conflict only that a Marine is going home. They don’t know the name, don’t know the family but that doesn’t matter either; they have earned the best that the detail can give, he was their brother.

Stay professional, stay focused, no mistakes.

The service goes smoothly; the detail has honed their skills from countless repetitions. They work together as a unit, each doing their part.

Body Bearers
Chaplain
Shot Team
Bugler

The volleys are completed, arms at rest, snap turn, and then it happens.

The Lance Corporal’s eyes lock with those of the widow, only for a moment, a few brief seconds. But in those seconds the woman mouths the words “Thank You”.

A tear comes, then another, he can’t blink them away, can’t wipe them away. He must maintain ceremonial composure. So they run down his face. He shifts his gaze back out to infinity and they are gone.

But he remembers them. They reinforce to him the importance of what he does. The honor he has been given to be allowed to provide this final salute to someone’s hero.

“Don’t tell me I don’t know about death. I deal with death every day"
LCpl Devin Cloud

CplKJSpevak
09-12-08, 02:36 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing that sir!

jinelson
09-12-08, 03:25 PM
Wow great post sir. Its a tough duty.

Jim

Mikewebe
09-12-08, 04:09 PM
Well that one made me shed a tear

SGT7477
09-12-08, 08:25 PM
Thanks for sharing, Semper FI.

Wyoming
09-12-08, 09:34 PM
Wow!! Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
09-12-08, 09:38 PM
You placed the heart of your son here in your posting. Hands down of the best I have read and it was from the heart.

Semper Fi

Gunny out
:usmc:

ecfree
09-12-08, 09:44 PM
God Bless your son sir,he is a very special Marine,and you are a special Dad.....:thumbup:

ScottsMom
09-13-08, 06:45 AM
Beautiful story. I'm proud of your son...

davblay
09-13-08, 07:19 AM
It's a tough job, and an honor to do it for our young Marines, Semper Fi,

Dave

Corpspapa
09-28-08, 10:40 AM
Years from now, when he looks back on his military days, I'm sure this event will remain clear in his memory. Thanks for sharing fellow Dad.

jrhd97
09-28-08, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the story.

Pattyq
10-05-08, 04:52 AM
Your story touched my heart. I ofen forget the reality of what my son has signed on for, I think I forget intentionally as I couldn't get thru the day if I was always thinking about what could happen. God Bless your son.

Patty

Corpspapa
10-05-08, 10:28 PM
I was part of an Honor Gaurd back in my Air Force days. I was a rifle-bearer (21-gun salute). We used the old M-1's, and sometimes they wouldn't fire, but, of course, the training was that we went through the motions for the 2nd or 3rd volley as though it was working properly.

I don't expect that sort of thing happens with the 8th & I. All professional, all dedicated, all Marine. If there ever was a Knights of the Round Table, it is now the 8th & I.

cloud1usmc0311
07-03-09, 02:13 AM
dad... i will never forget that day.. it was a hard one. and thanks you for sharing it with everyone.

LivTooley
07-03-09, 03:03 AM
Thank you for sharing. Brought a few tears for me too.

usmcdanno
07-04-09, 06:27 PM
I still vividly remember my father's funeral in 1973 at age 11. I remember looking at those guys and wondering what they were thinking. Of course I know now. If this story does'nt make you shed a tear, nothing will. A military funeral, and especially a Marine Corps conducted one, is the most profound and sad thing you will ever witness. The Marine Corps does'nt take lightly the death of our brothers as evidenced by our funeral ceremonies. In particular one done by 8th & I. God bless you sir, and thank you for your son's service to this great country.