PDA

View Full Version : My son left on August 25 for MCRD

LcplT
09-04-08, 04:12 AM
Hi everyone, My son Kyle let on the 25th of Aug.. he got dropped to his platoon last week sometime. He was supposed to give me a call when they were picked up out of receiving. I don't remember getting a call but this must be something new. He did not call me. I am not worried, he is a good kid.....maybe he got it wrong and they don't give them a call. anyway I am a little worried but nothing too bad, I went throught it in 88 so ... I just need to talk a guess...I haven't got a letter yet either.

Semper Fi,
Lcpl T.

www.myspace.com/Aaron_Taormino (http://www.myspace.com/Aaron_Taormino)

OB MSG
09-04-08, 09:31 AM
Your son should have contacted you by phone when he got there. That's one thing I distinctly remember. The Forming DIs line you up in front of about 8 phones and you have enough time to call, say your there, "safe" and will send more info later. Later we sent home a letter with our Platoon info and address.

If you haven't heard anything yet, just go to his recruiter. They will be able to get info on your son pretty quickly. They have to be able to so that they can update their records on each person they send to the Depot and that persons status there.

I'm sure he's fine and things just got squirrely with the snail-mail, but it never hurts to ask.

Good Luck! and send your son some from us!

davblay
09-04-08, 11:10 AM
Normally they get that one call when they get there...that's all. Some recruits assume they can call when they get assigned, but they can't. You'll probably get a letter in a day or two, just hang ing there Brother.

Dave

LcplT
09-04-08, 06:27 PM
Ok hey thanks for the replys. I just got a letter from him today it had a type written letter from his commanding officer.. just bascis telling me all was ok and gave a rundown on his training. I guess all parents get this letter. Was it that different when I was there in 88? I can't remember. Wow how time flies and the minor details just fly out just as fast. lol. It was good to know and now I can worry anout his training...He is in for some great times...LOL. Semper Fi brothers.

Mikewebe
09-04-08, 06:42 PM
Hey Lcplt, keep in mind if there was something wrong you would have been notified. Maybe you weren't there when the call came I don't know. But Mom don't worry he's in good hands. Take care of yourself at this point and know he is safe, and as posted above call the RS and ask.

js3
09-21-08, 10:02 PM
Lcpl T. ~ My son left for MCRD-SD on Aug 18th, just one week prior to your son's ship date. Tomorrow is the start of our week #6, and waiting for letters can be frustrating, especially that first one...glad you received the form letter. This website is a great source of information and lots of support here! Another good site is RecruitParents.com, you can connect with other family/friends with Recruits in the same platoon as your son! Best of everything to your Recruit!

Corpspapa
09-28-08, 11:10 AM
LCpl T. ~ I highly recommend recruitparents.com. It was my life line when Blake was in boot last year. Everyone is in the same boat, learning together. And your prior service will be a great help to other members. Posts aren't immediately posted, as they are read by the moderators for recruit safety and OpSec, then approved. Could take a couple of hours to see your post. But, the support is amazing.

Thank you for your service, and for your son's comittment.

Joni ~ Thank you for your son's comittment, also.

LcplT
09-29-08, 04:21 PM
Update on Kyle...: He made Guide 2 weeks ago or week and a half ago so I am pretty sure if they continue to improve in drill he may keep it till the end.....But as we all know this can change in a second.. Squad leader and guide positions changed like 10 times b4 we graduated but in the end the best ones will be there for the graduation day. I hope that he makes it in any position... up front..Squad leader or guide all good and honerable.....rank and file good and honerable too, just more if you in front.

Mikewebe
09-29-08, 06:24 PM
Grats to ya hope he does EVEN better;)

ForeverMarine
09-29-08, 06:47 PM
I maybe send 3 letters home the whole entire time I was in boot camp while I got a letter everyday it seemed like from my mom and dad......So just bc it hard and painful since this is the first time most likely that your not in control and dont know what is going on, your son or daughter IS ok! Marine Corps Boot camp is no joke and then only time you get to write letters is at night time (which the recruits decison to sleep or write....and trust me from training dusk til dawn and getting their body slayed like never before...sleep is crucle!) and sunday if you chose not to go to church you can write while they are at church, but most people go to church.....

And OB MSG is correct, once the recruits get to receiving there is a room full of phones where they get to call home to say they arrived safetly, and for the recruits that didnt get a hold of their rents they send a hand typed letter from the CO with their signature stating they are ok.....Now as forward as training, If they get hurt or fail a certain course in training and get dropped, they do get to call you to tell you they are dropped basically to tell you again everything is ok, but the graduation date is changed....Marine Corps does not want the parents to fly to graduation and their son is not there graduating.....

but yea your boy is good to go!