PDA

View Full Version : Im in a weird situation...

poleemaxwell
08-26-08, 12:25 PM
Im in kind of in a weird position. I am suppose to graduate from high school in 2009, but I already finished my course work so I can graduate early. Unfortunetly Texas has a stupid state law that every one must pass a test called TAKS in order to graduate. I am suppose to ship out to boot camp after I take it, but i wont get my results until I get out of bootcamp. If I don't pass it, will the marine corp give me an opportunity to get my diploma from a High School where ever I get stationed at?

Marine84
08-26-08, 01:20 PM
Uh................you're probably going to have a little bit of a problem.

AL49BGN
08-26-08, 01:27 PM
Check With Your Recruiter Because That Sounds Like If You Don't Pass You Will Have A Problem.good Luck!!!

Chumley
08-26-08, 01:41 PM
Im in kind of in a weird position. I am suppose to graduate from high school in 2009, but I already finished my course work so I can graduate early. Unfortunetly Texas has a stupid state law that every one must pass a test called TAKS in order to graduate. I am suppose to ship out to boot camp after I take it, but i wont get my results until I get out of bootcamp. If I don't pass it, will the marine corp give me an opportunity to get my diploma from a High School where ever I get stationed at?

If you can't at least capitalize Marine and spell Marine Corps by now then I don't like your chances of passing this test. I'd be worried too.:mad:
ATTENTION TO DETAIL will be good for you.
Good luck!
C

poleemaxwell
08-26-08, 01:44 PM
I've already taken the test and it has four parts to it, English, Science, History, and Math. I mastered english and science, and I even got commended on History, but I failed the math part by 32 pts and I needed 2100 to pass. Cant I just get my diploma from a school where ever I get stationed at? I finished every single class i needed to take, but that stupid test (math part) is the only thing thats holding me up. Or would I be better off just getting a GED after bootcamp?

Chumley
08-26-08, 02:15 PM
If it's an USMC requirement, and you fail, and even find out during or after Boot Camp you will have a problem. It might be mis-construed because, essentially, you won't have a diploma - they could...

poleemaxwell
08-26-08, 02:25 PM
Ok.

poleemaxwell
08-26-08, 02:27 PM
Will do.Thanks. Im suppose to retake it on Oct 22.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-26-08, 02:39 PM
I don't know how you think you could get a diploma. The Marine Corps doesn't send you to boot camp, give you a place to live, and pay you so that you can attend high school near your duty station.

There some odd things that happen from time to time. I had a guy in my unit that didn't have a diploma, or a GED. I don't know how he managed to enlist, but he did. It was a huge pain for everyone, because there are things you just cannot do in the Marine Corps without that piece of paper. He ended up taking night classes and getting his GED pretty quickly, but it didn't make him anyone's favorite.

Study for the exam, make sure you're prepared for it this time. You've got an advantage, you have taken the thing once. You know what is expected of you and what types of questions are on the exam. There really isn't any excuse for not being able to pass it when you have two months to prepare.

Marine84
08-26-08, 07:40 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh the plot thickens. Now we find out that you already know you failed and won't get that diploma. Geez...............another one that wants something for nothing!

poleemaxwell
08-26-08, 09:09 PM
actually I'm trying to graduate a year ahead of my time, and I was wondering if I could just get my diploma after high school, I am not trying to get "someting for nothing." I know that I failed the math part once, but they want me to wait for months to retake it and then wait for months to get the results back. I guess my point is I don't want to wait for several months to just retake a test, when I can go to bootcamp and then get my diploma.

poleemaxwell
08-26-08, 09:14 PM
Echo_Four_Bravo I talked to my recruiter and he said that there is away for me to get my diploma after H.S since I finsihed my all my classes I can enroll into a school just to get my diploma. I'm suppose to talk about it more with him tomarrow.

davblay
08-26-08, 09:21 PM
actually I'm trying to graduate a year ahead of my time, and I was wondering if I could just get my diploma after high school, I am not trying to get "someting for nothing." I know that I failed the math part once, but they want me to wait for months to retake it and then wait for months to get the results back. I guess my point is I don't want to wait for several months to just retake a test, when I can go to bootcamp and then get my diploma.

The Marine Corps requires a High School Diploma or a GED with 15 hrs college, PERIOD! That doesn't mean you can join up, go to boot camp while hoping that you pass that test. That would be like join now and graduate later.......not in MY Corps!

Dave

poleemaxwell
08-26-08, 09:27 PM
ok see your point...I should just be patient and just wait to retake the test and then go to boot camp.

Wyoming
08-26-08, 11:23 PM
ok see your point...I should just be patient and just wait to retake the test and then go to boot camp.

You could solve your whole problem by going to basic training (http://www.goarmy.com/flindex.jsp?#?channel=&video=).

Wyoming
08-26-08, 11:27 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh the plot thickens. Now we find out that you already know you failed and won't get that diploma. Geez...............another one that wants something for nothing!

Kim, I had to re-read his post twice or thrice to figure out what the **** he was trying to say.

And then, when he can't pass a test, it is all the fault of the State Of Texas, for having a 'stupid state law' holding him back.

Wyoming
08-26-08, 11:29 PM
polee[/color]maxwell;382851]Will do.Thanks. Im suppose to retake it on Oct 22.

... and tell me, pray tell, what is a polee?

Marine84
08-27-08, 08:15 AM
... and tell me, pray tell, what is a polee?

Ain't that one that slides up and down a pole?

Chumley
08-28-08, 09:35 AM
Ain't that one that slides up and down a pole?

Pole dancer??? Don't ask, don't tell!

AL49BGN
08-28-08, 11:03 AM
Pole dancer??? Don't ask, don't tell!
HE NEEDS TO GO TO BASIC TRAINING FOR THAT.I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT OUR BELOVED CORPS HAS A MOS FOR POLE DANCING.I BELIEVE THAT SCHOOL IS OVER AT FORT JACKSON