PDA

View Full Version : Question About Personel File Discrepancy

imapatriot08
08-18-08, 06:31 PM
This is a hypothetical question. Let's say a recruiter a Staff Sgt. received an NJP for "misappropriate use of government property". Basically he was using his govt vehicle to visit his "friend" on overnight visits. He got caught because of a GPS in the vehicle. He lied to his command and said that he was spending the night at a friends house not his mistress, who was a recruit's mom, yes he was having an affair, but that is beside the point. They believed his lie. So anyway, he received an NJP and was pulled from the recruiting field and assigned to only work in the office to finish out his recruiting duty or until he received orders to go back into the fleet. Also during this time he had his papers in for a promotion to WO, his MOS is crew chief on a helicopter, they also pulled his paperwork for WO. So anyway fast forward about a year or so, he is back in the fleet. He is getting his security clearance updated because he is getting ready to deploy to Iraq. There is nothing in his personnel file about the NJP. How would this happen and would he have to worry about it catching up to him? Like could someone report this discrepancy or something.

Phantom Blooper
08-18-08, 07:26 PM
hypothetical question

This sounds not like a hypothetical.....it sounds like scuttlebutt and over hearing by poolees and wannabees at a recruiting office.

You would be better to keep the drama in Hollyweird and just concentrate on becoming or supporting the Marines! We have our fair share of Peyton Place soaps and Desperate Housewives....we don't need anymore hypothetical dramas!

Ask Oprah!

AND FILL OUT A PROFILE OR DON'T POST AGAIN! READ THE RULES!

:evilgrin:

Haffner
08-18-08, 07:55 PM
If I may be this forward, SSgt, it doesn't sound like scuttlebutt overheard by a Poolee, it sounds more like a SSgt that was on recruiting duty trying to anonymously solve his problem on an internet forum because he knows that if he asks his co-workers they'd have some dirt on him.

There is WAY too much info. in that and it is far too straight forward to be a curious Poolee.

I'd bet $$ that's not a Poolee or wanna-be. It's a Marine.

Phantom Blooper
08-18-08, 08:06 PM
You may be correct...however this does sound like some of the hypothetical situations in the Poolee Hall of Fame and Ask A Marine.:beer:

:evilgrin:

SlingerDun
08-18-08, 08:07 PM
....would he have to worry about it catching up to him?Nope, it only leads to stomach problems and white hair, yet somebody knows the debris...
Like could someone report this discrepancy or something.see

thewookie
08-18-08, 08:24 PM
This is a hypothetical question. Let's say a recruiter a Staff Sgt. received an NJP for "misappropriate use of government property". Basically he was using his govt vehicle to visit his "friend" on overnight visits. He got caught because of a GPS in the vehicle. He lied to his command and said that he was spending the night at a friends house not his mistress, who was a recruit's mom, yes he was having an affair, but that is beside the point. They believed his lie. So anyway, he received an NJP and was pulled from the recruiting field and assigned to only work in the office to finish out his recruiting duty or until he received orders to go back into the fleet. Also during this time he had his papers in for a promotion to WO, his MOS is crew chief on a helicopter, they also pulled his paperwork for WO. So anyway fast forward about a year or so, he is back in the fleet. He is getting his security clearance updated because he is getting ready to deploy to Iraq. There is nothing in his personnel file about the NJP. How would this happen and would he have to worry about it catching up to him? Like could someone report this discrepancy or something.

Did he hypothetically get a Fitness Report along with the NJP? If it is in a Fit Rep then it's on micro fiche, and someday it will find him again.

I'm no admin guy, but I think a NJP triggers a Fit Rep?

thewookie
08-18-08, 08:31 PM
I know a change of duty station for a Sgt. or above triggers Fit Rep, maybe not a change in assignment, but if that changes your CO then I think you get one any way?

Marine84
08-18-08, 08:36 PM
Patriot - I think you told on yourself with the "nothing is in his personnel file"..............how would you (but a mere Marine "friend") know?

C'mon man, fess up and say something about it. Maybe S-1 just backed up as Immigration with that crap, who knows?

DIBLO7
08-18-08, 10:37 PM
If someone gets NJP'd they get an adverse fitrep. Its mandated by CMC, look in the PES manual, I don't want to take the time to look it up, but its in there. The occasion is DC.

And if there is nothing in his "personnel file" then it just means the dumba$$ recruiter pulled his page 12 or "UPB" out of his SRB. The problem with that is when he goes somewhere else and someone pulls his legal history screen in 3270 and something pops up, but doesn't have any documentation in his book he will get crushed again for trying to hide his NJP from his command.

imapatriot08
08-18-08, 11:40 PM
Diblo7, The way I understand what happened is that when he went to get his security clearance updated. His computer file was pulled up on a screen. The computer operator said everything was GTG. The recruiter asked, "Is there anything in there?" or something along those lines. Computer operator says "No should there be?" Recruiter says, "No just curious". Is this exchange what you are talking about when you say someone "pulls his legal history screen"? So maybe I was wrong and the discrepancy isn't in his SRB, but actually on the computer. What happens down the road when he does reapply for WO, could the two things not matching up cause problems? I'm checking on this for my sister it is her husband who was the recruiter. I'm just trying to look out for my baby sis, and see what kind of trouble he may be bringing them in the future.

CplGiraffe
08-18-08, 11:47 PM
I am not Marine and have no knowledge on this but I am pretty sure Honesty is a large part of being a Marine. Hiding this whether it could or could not come back to bite him is probably not good because if it did come back, it will be worse than if you didn't hide it.

Haffner
08-18-08, 11:49 PM
This would probably be alot easier if you were just honest.

I mean, sure, I could be wrong. This may be exactly as is stated.

I personally believe you are that Marine though. Whether that is the case or not, I'm sure the reception to this question would beget more attention if our perception was in a state of perfection, otherwise there will be many misconceptions on the alleged inception due to an abundance of discretion and protection.

Petz
08-18-08, 11:57 PM
it's the poolee of the mistress!!!! hahaha, that'd be funny.

if he got an NJP like the wookie said he'd get an adverse fitrep, that cannot be hidden, though there are many things that can happen in an NJP like... I'm giving you an NJP and I'll hold the paperwork... if you mess up one more time I'm running both of them.... then he'd just get a crappy fitrep, they pull his WO package and he's punished.

this would happen if he was a good recuiter... so NO, this would not come back on him if that were the case because the CO made a descretionary call and punished the Marine accordingly.

as it was said previously... there are many variables... I'm only giving you an obvious one that could cover all the points you brought up.... the only people who know what happened are the CO, the Marines in on the NJP the Marine being NJP'd and the Admin who ran it.

DIBLO7
08-19-08, 11:52 PM
Diblo7, The way I understand what happened is that when he went to get his security clearance updated. His computer file was pulled up on a screen. The computer operator said everything was GTG. The recruiter asked, "Is there anything in there?" or something along those lines. Computer operator says "No should there be?" Recruiter says, "No just curious". Is this exchange what you are talking about when you say someone "pulls his legal history screen"? So maybe I was wrong and the discrepancy isn't in his SRB, but actually on the computer. What happens down the road when he does reapply for WO, could the two things not matching up cause problems? I'm checking on this for my sister it is her husband who was the recruiter. I'm just trying to look out for my baby sis, and see what kind of trouble he may be bringing them in the future.

First, the Marines that have access to the "system" are limited. With few exceptions its only the admin guys or the Marines 1stSgt who would be looking up the information. So for someone to be looking up the legal screen wouldn't exactly be a common thing. The admin guys probably wouldn't look up his info unless they were bored, since its not something you look up on an audit, and they probably wouldn't do it in front of the Marine. I can't say for sure about a 1stSgt, but I would imagine that he would look up the info on his Marines. Depending on who was looking into the information changes the consequences of his choice of words.

Second, as for the exchange if the information is in the system and not in his book, I go back to my previous statement of the dumba$$ recruiter.

If there is nothing in his book and nothing in the system then officially nothing happened. There could be numerous scenario's where this could happen, one being just like Sgt Petzold said.

I'm not sure if my rambling made sense, but its the best I can do 10 minutes before I go to bed, and with limited information. Hope it helps.