PDA

View Full Version : Question for some of the poolees

sshrader
08-15-08, 10:18 PM
Hello everyone, one of my real good friends is a recruiter in Idaho I was going to have him recruit me but I live in Arkansas. His SSgt told him that he could try to fly me up there and join but it would probably be easier to join here in Arkansas. So tomorrow im going to go by the office and hopefully they will be open. I was wondering what were some of the questions I should ask. Im going to join for sure, but I need to wait until after October because my brother is getting married and im the best man. My buddy said that he will give the recruiters a call and talk to them. He also wants me to talk to him before I make any decisions to make sure im not going to be getting screwed anyway. Thanks everyone!

JdnSmith
08-15-08, 10:52 PM
Hello everyone, one of my real good friends is a recruiter in Idaho I was going to have him recruit me but I live in Arkansas. His SSgt told him that he could try to fly me up there and join but it would probably be easier to join here in Arkansas. So tomorrow im going to go by the office and hopefully they will be open. I was wondering what were some of the questions I should ask. Im going to join for sure, but I need to wait until after October because my brother is getting married and im the best man. My buddy said that he will give the recruiters a call and talk to them. He also wants me to talk to him before I make any decisions to make sure im not going to be getting screwed anyway. Thanks everyone!
Well, I don't believe recruiters are going to be screwing you over. And as far as questions go, what things do you want to know? What is important to you? I don't believe us poolees can tell you the proper questions to ask. Take some time to sit down before you go and really think about some things that you would like to know. Recruiters are there to help you and to answer any questions you may have. Just go into the meeting prepared.

-Poolee Smith

sshrader
08-15-08, 11:15 PM
Thanks, I didnt mean like screw me over, I want to know that I will be going in getting in the 03XX MOS. I have a degree in CIS and I dont want that to make the Marines have me doing a computer related job ive been doing that for 2 years and I hate sitting infront of computers. So I guess the main thing is I want to make sure i get in the 03XX mos. Is it possible I sign the papers and possibly get DEP'd till the end of October November? But I will get these answers tomorrow.

PhantomLord
08-15-08, 11:21 PM
You have up to a year in DEP I believe.

CplGiraffe
08-16-08, 12:12 AM
You have 365 days in DEP to ship unless you get waivered or can't ship for some reason. As for the questions, I would just ask things about what kinda of opportunities you get and ask things pertaining to why you want to join the Marine Corps. On a side note, lately all I have heard from just about everyone is that there are no 03xx jobs, so check into that.

sshrader
08-16-08, 02:24 PM
Well I just went and spoke with the recruiter, i need to drop 22 lbs to be able to enter DEP. So im going to be running every night and on thursdays all the DEP'rs meet up and they have Warrior training and he has invited me to come up there and work out and run, he gonna have me strap the alice pack on. So ive tooken the first major step to becoming a Marine, now time to go PT some!

RockSteady85
08-16-08, 04:13 PM
If you have a question, ask it. There are no stupid questions to ask when it comes to something like that.

Integrity57
08-16-08, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't trust a recruiter as far as I could throw him, but at the same time, their job isn't to screw you over. Just be sure of the MOS you want and get as much info on it as you can so you can make an informed decision when it comes time to sign your contract. Above all, make sure you're taking on this commitment for the right reasons, decide what's important to you because there's no taking it back once it begins and there's no time outs.