PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Pattyq
08-15-08, 07:33 AM
:):):)

Hello

My name is Patty. My son Bobby left for Bootcamp, Parris Island on 7/15/08. He turned 18 on 7/9.

He joined the DEP when he was 17. He has been talking about being a Marine since he was in the eighth grade. So now he is living his dream. His letters home are upbeat.

I'm looking forward to going to SC and seeing him offically become a Marine. I wasn't thrilled with this decision and for 4 years tried to talk him into going to college. I do reliaze that it his life and his dreams so I'll support him in any way that I can.

In one of his letters he mentioned not to send anything that had to be signed for, yet didn't tell me what had to be signed for. Anyone know anything about that?

I was a bit suprised to hear is going to Church and reading the Bible. He moaned and complained about going to Chruch with me. Now he has a goal to complete the whole Bible, he is an above average reader, however this just seems so strange to me. Anybody know why he would have this sudden interest in his relgion? He was brought up Catholic and never had any interest in it before.

Any suggestions on how to best show support?

Thanks

Patty

yellowwing
08-15-08, 07:52 AM
Welcome Aboard Patty! I am glad to see your son is a dedicated motivated individual. That's what we look for in a Marine.

I'm sure others will shed light on your Church and mail package question.

When I was in Boot Camp letters from home really kept me going.

davblay
08-15-08, 09:08 AM
In one of his letters he mentioned not to send anything that had to be signed for, yet didn't tell me what had to be signed for. Anyone know anything about that?

I was a bit suprised to hear is going to Church and reading the Bible. He moaned and complained about going to Chruch with me. Now he has a goal to complete the whole Bible, he is an above average reader, however this just seems so strange to me. Anybody know why he would have this sudden interest in his relgion? He was brought up Catholic and never had any interest in it before.

Thanks

Patty

There is no one there to sign for any packages, so just keep it narrowed down to letters and such unless he ask for something specific. As Far as going to churh and reading the Bible.......well Ma'am, Boot came is a life altering event and when you're there you feel the need to be closer to the maker, believe me! He is fine, but he feels like he needs a little extra push from the almighty every once in a while. That and the fact that he feels like he's going thru hell, LOL! :evilgrin:

Congratulations on having a Son that is willing to serve in My Beloved Corps, I am sure he will be a fine Marine!

Semper Fi,

Dave

MGySgtSki
08-15-08, 09:24 AM
Patty,

I'm guessing what he means by things that need to be signed for is registered mail and things like that. Standard shipping on packages and letters should be just fine.

As far as church, from my personal experience in boot camp, I went to church because it was the most friendly atmosphere on the Island. It was a place you could actually talk and laugh with fellow recruits and, the best part, there were NO drill instructors there!!! Boot camp has a way of changing everyone and everyone is a little different. Maybe he's using church as an escape from the squad bay or maybe he's developed a true interest in religion.

Just my .02

S/F

:):):)

Hello

My name is Patty. My son Bobby left for Bootcamp, Parris Island on 7/15/08. He turned 18 on 7/9.

He joined the DEP when he was 17. He has been talking about being a Marine since he was in the eighth grade. So now he is living his dream. His letters home are upbeat.

I'm looking forward to going to SC and seeing him offically become a Marine. I wasn't thrilled with this decision and for 4 years tried to talk him into going to college. I do reliaze that it his life and his dreams so I'll support him in any way that I can.

Thanks

Patty

AL49BGN
08-15-08, 09:48 AM
We all wish your son the best of luck in earning his title of Marine.It was a long time ago but when I was at Boot Camp we were able to recieve packages.I believe he means registered mail but check with his recruiter they would have the most up to date information.Do write your son ,mail will be something that he would look foward to recieving.Recieving letters from my family and freinds kept me going.

marinemom
08-15-08, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the family of Marine parents - you are embarking on as mcuh of a learning curve as your son is right now.

Best way to show support - write, write, write and then write some more. Funny cards - clipped out cartoons you think he may get a chuckle from - anything, but the mail is so important to them - they need the touch from home a lot duirng Boot.

DO NOT SEND FOOD!!!! Not unless you want to hear how much of the package he had to eat in under 30 seconds while being supervised by the entire Instructor team - not a good thing at all.

As far as going to church - it is the one time during the 24/7 week that they have some time without an Drill Instructor over their shoulder and some time to actually sit down. My son was also raised Catholic - and like yours, was kinds tepid during his teens - but, one thing that all recruits realize during Boot is that they do need the help of the Lord a lot to get through. Do not sweat it.

Just keep writing - tell him you love him and support his decision in life - and be prepared to have your jaw drop when you see him walk across the Parade Deck at graduation.

Pattyq
08-15-08, 11:08 AM
Marine Mom I love the "before boot camp, thre was Mom.

To late on the food he asked for and I sent power bars and gator aid, oops. Plus I sent a big bag of Lyndt chocolates. MY bad won't do it again.

yellowwing
08-15-08, 11:51 AM
Marine Mom I love the "before boot camp, thre was Mom.

To late on the food he asked for and I sent power bars and gator aid, oops. Plus I sent a big bag of Lyndt chocolates. MY bad won't do it again.
Well he will get to eat it. :banana:

Pattyq
08-15-08, 11:53 AM
Yes he will get to eat it not sure in the manner he was hoping for LOL

MGySgtSki
08-15-08, 12:01 PM
Yes he will get to eat it not sure in the manner he was hoping for LOL

Oh, he knows exactly what he's in for if he gets caught....he has, after all, been on the Island for a month now.....

jinelson
08-15-08, 12:08 PM
The only person meaner than a Marine is his Mom! So keep them happy at all times.

Jim

marinemom
08-15-08, 12:49 PM
Not nice Jim - all Marine moms are sweet, kind, charming, shy and retiring.....and we can make the Heavy look like a kindergartener.

marinemama
08-15-08, 01:07 PM
Not nice Jim - all Marine moms are sweet, kind, charming, shy and retiring.....and we can make the Heavy look like a kindergartener.

hee hee....totally agree!

Welcome Pattyq to you and your son. As others have mentioned...write, write, write...please tell him thanks from me!