PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary?

PhantomLord
08-11-08, 06:34 PM
I have a few quick questions.

Is it necessary to stay over night while at MEPs if i have the ability to go back home? My step father said he was able to go back home, but then again, he was Navy.

Also, do we take our first PFT at MEPs or is that the one you do when you first get to boot camp? I keep getting conflicting answers to that one.

BR34
08-11-08, 07:00 PM
You need to ask your recruiter about the first question.

I've heard of poolees doing a IST at MEPS (pull ups, crunches, 1.5 mile run) but I didn't do mine until around the 4th or 5th day of boot camp. I don't think you will do a PFT at MEPS.

PhantomLord
08-11-08, 07:03 PM
You need to ask your recruiter about the first question.

I've heard of poolees doing a IST at MEPS (pull ups, crunches, 1.5 mile run) but I didn't do mine until around the 4th or 5th day of boot camp. I don't think you will do a PFT at MEPS.

Thank you LCpl. Thats what I needed.

Brewer0311
08-11-08, 09:46 PM
I think they usually make people run the IST if they are having trouble with weight or trouble on the IST while a poolee.

It's a little hazy for me though.

On personal accounts I never ran an IST or PFT at MEPs and I don't know anyone that has had to.

It is always possible though.

PhantomLord
08-11-08, 09:48 PM
Thank you Cpl. I havent read anything from my research that was very clear about it. I had heard of the IST's but i was just curious about the actual first PFT you take.

Brewer0311
08-11-08, 09:50 PM
First PFT will be at bootcamp unless your recruiter gets you to run one.

Third Phase I believe. You can get the training matrix off the Depots website and it will tell you for sure.

PhantomLord
08-11-08, 09:55 PM
First PFT will be at bootcamp unless your recruiter gets you to run one.

Third Phase I believe. You can get the training matrix off the Depots website and it will tell you for sure.

Thank you again Cpl. Its much appreciated.

Garrett90
08-11-08, 10:10 PM
How are you a Poolee if you havent gone to MEPs yet? I thought you werent a Poolee until you were done with MEPs, unless I'm mistaken?

PhantomLord
08-11-08, 10:18 PM
I'm not a poolee, not yet anyhow.

MontySpecial
08-11-08, 10:41 PM
You will stay at a hotel for one night, then head to MEPS that morning. If you're lucky you'll go on a day with little people or prepare to be there for a long time. My recruiter picked me up (and said, "congratulations") and dropped me off (at my house when I was finished).

You wont do an IST there, just a simple physical.

PhantomLord
08-11-08, 10:47 PM
You will stay at a hotel for one night, then head to MEPS that morning. If you're lucky you'll go on a day with little people or prepare to be there for a long time. My recruiter picked me up (and said, "congratulations") and dropped me off (at my house when I was finished).

You wont do an IST there, just a simple physical.

Thank you sir. i'm hoping to go on one of those short days but we'll have to wait and see I guess. Thanks for the info.

lagrand
08-12-08, 10:23 AM
Monty is correct. I've been to MEPS twice and neither the first nor second time did I do an IST/PFT. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong Marines, you don't do a PFT until a few weeks into Recruit Training.

Oh, and don't fall asleep at MEPS...On the other hand...I dare you to try.

Semper-1775-Fi
08-12-08, 10:42 AM
They had me max out sit-ups in 2 minutes, but when I hit sixty he told me to stop, then I maxed out pull-ups, no running though.

slimmy07
08-12-08, 11:03 AM
You dont really have to stay the night at the hotel prior to your MEPS physical or inspect, but it is sometimes easier for the recruiter. Recruiters work long days, so instead of getting up at 330am to have you at MEPS at 530am it works out better that they drop you off at the hotel the night prior so they dont have to get uip so early, plus it does make sure that there are no problems in the morning and that your on time. Things can happen in the morning, like traffic, accident, you or the recruiter waking up late, staying at the hotel ensures your on time. ABout the pft/ist. Every RS is diffferent, but when I was a recruiter they just did pull ups and crunches at the RS after you DEP in. There was no run. You did the run back at the offfice at a later date with the recruiter. I hope this helps.

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 11:06 AM
You dont really have to stay the night at the hotel prior to your MEPS physical or inspect, but it is sometimes easier for the recruiter. Recruiters work long days, so instead of getting up at 330am to have you at MEPS at 530am it works out better that they drop you off at the hotel the night prior so they dont have to get uip so early, plus it does make sure that there are no problems in the morning and that your on time. Things can happen in the morning, like traffic, accident, you or the recruiter waking up late, staying at the hotel ensures your on time. ABout the pft/ist. Every RS is diffferent, but when I was a recruiter they just did pull ups and crunches at the RS after you DEP in. There was no run. You did the run back at the offfice at a later date with the recruiter. I hope this helps.

Thank you SGT. That helps a lot. That def. makes sense with just staying at the hotel. I guess its one less thing I would have to worry about.

slimmy07
08-12-08, 11:18 AM
Your very welcome.

TypeOrange
08-12-08, 11:32 AM
I didnt stay the night at MEPS. One day i went up there at noon to take my ASVAB, came back home, then the next day i was up at 0300 with my recruiter driving to MEPS to be there by 0430.

When I was at MEPS i got Disqualified for my weight and i had to do a little IST up in the main office. Just crunches and Pullups. I bombed it because i was a fatbody, but i still got my waiver.

BR34
08-12-08, 11:48 AM
When I was at MEPS i got Disqualified for my weight and i had to do a little IST up in the main office. Just crunches and Pullups. I bombed it because i was a fatbody, but i still got my waiver.

That's awful!

Semper-1775-Fi
08-12-08, 11:53 AM
It isn't that bad staying the night at the hotel. I was there when something like 23 other Marines were shipping off, so I got to talk to all them about what DEP was like and what their MOS' were. Good stuff.

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 12:02 PM
I've also heard that some times when you go your able to socialize after your done and your at the hotel, but I have also heard that once you hit the hotel its pretty much on lock down. No talking, no tv, curfew at 0900, etc. Doesn't really bother me much but it would be nice to chat with some of the other poolee's

Garrett90
08-12-08, 12:04 PM
I got to sit and listen about all the bonuses the Army guys were getting, then after I took the Oath, I got to sit and listen to the Army Warrant Officer tell the Army Poolees to not ship until they got a reasonable signing bonus. I was just thinking to myself, what are they going to do when they go and blow all that bonus money, and they realize they are Government property? lol

Garrett90
08-12-08, 12:06 PM
I've also heard that some times when you go your able to socialize after your done and your at the hotel, but I have also heard that once you hit the hotel its pretty much on lock down. No talking, no tv, curfew at 0900, etc. Doesn't really bother me much but it would be nice to chat with some of the other poolee's

At the Charlotte MEPs Center they have a few arcade games and a pool table. Then when we went to the Hotel, we were allowed to go out and do whatever, or stay inside in this room they had for us and watch tv, go on the computer, or play XBOX 360 and PS3, but the game room closed at 10 and we had to be in our rooms at 11. I don't know how other MEPs centers run it, but mine wasn't bad at all.

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 12:08 PM
At the Charlotte MEPs Center they have a few arcade games and a pool table. Then when we went to the Hotel, we were allowed to go out and do whatever, or stay inside in this room they had for us and watch tv, go on the computer, or play XBOX 360 and PS3, but the game room closed at 10 and we had to be in our rooms at 11. I don't know how other MEPs centers run it, but mine wasn't bad at all.

Wow, i wasnt expecting that, haha.

Garrett90
08-12-08, 12:14 PM
Yea, they had a weight room and pool too. I met an Army Rambo future Airborne Ranger in the weight room. All gung ho on his treadmill, looking forward to Ranger school. Then I found out he was still in the 11th grade. Either he can look into the future and see that he will go to Ranger school, or hes another idiot. My guess is idiot.

BR34
08-12-08, 12:16 PM
They can go to basic training between junior and senior years. Then they go to AIT after they graduate. Army strong comin' at ya.

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 12:18 PM
Well some people know and some people think they know what they are going to be in life. You can't blame a person for having dreams.

Remember, unattainable dreams are the best kind. Obviously no dream should be unattainable but you get the point.

Garrett90
08-12-08, 12:19 PM
They can go to basic training between junior and senior years. Then they go to AIT after they graduate. Army strong comin' at ya.

Yea I didn't know that until at my Senior Awards night, some guy in my class got called up for some award, then they said he already completed Basic Training over the summer and was headed to AIT after graduation....i was like WTF??? lol. Honestly, I think thats one of the more retarded things I've ever heard.

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 12:20 PM
Yea I didn't know that until at my Senior Awards night, some guy in my class got called up for some award, then they said he already completed Basic Training over the summer and was headed to AIT after graduation....i was like WTF??? lol. Honestly, I think thats one of the more retarded things I've ever heard.

Ahahahahaha

Books
08-12-08, 01:52 PM
Staying overnight or not really just depends on the distance from where you live to where the MEPS is. There is no possible way I can come home from Albany after day 1 of MEPS and get back in time for the beginning of day 2, unless I drove all night and all morning, and by the time I got home, I would have to leave immediately.

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 01:53 PM
ya, I'll prolly just end up staying at the hotel. Might as well right.

Garrett90
08-13-08, 02:00 AM
I live 20 minutes from MEPs and still stayed the night. Its your best bet to make sure you're on time.

KevinR90
08-13-08, 12:45 PM
My recruiter picked me up from my school's winter concert (i play the trombone, my recruiter played the tuba- brass rules!!!) so I didn't get to the hotel until around 11pm- got to my room with lights out already in effect. Woke up the next morning at 3:30am, had breakfast, went to MEPs, when all was said and done, went over to the Baltimore HQ and got my welcome aboard stuff, did pullups and sit ups but no run, then went home.

Some people get to the hotel and are there for an entire day, that night, and go to MEPs the next morning- I think most hotels have enough to keep you busy- TV, PS2 if you're lucky. I don't think we were allowed to leave the hotel at all, and guys were not allowed on the 3rd floor (the females of course).

Prepare to be bored out of your mind though.

Nate catlett
08-13-08, 01:00 PM
I have been to MEPS twice and both times were pretty cool. We stayed at a really nice hotel and they had PS3, and XBOX 360 and the hotel had a pool and weight room. The days at MEPS suck though. Up at 3:30 and didn't leave MEPS until 4:00. Usually people do some pull-ups at MEPS, but the liason didn't make me because it was about 30 degrees and there was no tape on his bar. MEPS was kind of like all the Marines on here say "hurry up and wait".

JJA1990
08-13-08, 01:23 PM
MEPS isnt too bad of an experience at all.. I have been twice.. The first was pretty uneventful because I didnt get to the hotel until about 11. But the second time I was there it was great-there were more Marine shipper/processors then for any other branch. We just spent the day/night wandering the hotel, playin guitar hero, watchin movies, and chasing a few good lookin girls.

MontySpecial
08-13-08, 04:26 PM
My recruiter picked me up from my school's winter concert (i play the trombone, my recruiter played the tuba- brass rules!!!)

Ha, I played the Tenor Sax!

went over to the Baltimore HQ and got my welcome aboard stuff, did pullups and sit ups but no run, then went home.

Darn, I didn't get a "welcome aboard" package. Oh well!

coltie52
08-13-08, 11:18 PM
They had me max out sit-ups in 2 minutes, but when I hit sixty he told me to stop, then I maxed out pull-ups, no running though.
Same here

UsmcMotorT
08-14-08, 06:31 AM
Why not stay overnight. I stayed in a hotel, it was a hotel part:Dy