PDA

View Full Version : We Have Orders!!!

DobbinsBlythe
08-10-08, 02:38 PM
Looks like My Cpl will be reporting to 1st Intel BN, Camp Pendleton.. we're lookin' at January-ish.

How exciting!!!!

Wyoming
08-10-08, 04:02 PM
Maria, it's cold, it's rainy and there is no housing in Pendleton this time of year. Tent City.

Seriously, glad you two are getting back together.

DobbinsBlythe
08-10-08, 05:41 PM
What do you mean back together? We're together right now....?? Oh and we're not getting there until January.

SlingerDun
08-10-08, 05:50 PM
Maria, it's cold, it's rainy and there is no housing in Pendleton this time of year. Tent CityBring yur own burn barrel. They on the electrical grid yet?

DobbinsBlythe
08-11-08, 07:46 AM
Seriously though.. that bad?

Wyoming
08-11-08, 09:23 AM
Definately!! You are gonna spend more time crying than enjoying.

Like Slinger said, electricity, hope you get housing close to the main line. You may have to pay more, but your little fridge should continue to run. Maybe, just maybe, there will be enough power for your hot water heater and a window fan.

DobbinsBlythe
08-11-08, 09:28 AM
Oh I know I'm going to be crying a lot.. the hubby's going to be deployed 7 months out of the year every year until we're out... but from what I've seen in housing, it looks pretty nice. We can't stay on base at all b/c of our pets.. but I've found a few nice houses off base. It's just tough trying to find something a bit cheaper. :D

SlingerDun
08-12-08, 04:23 PM
Heard it's gotten a bit crowded around there which definitely effected rental property's and it doesn't surprise me, the topo of that region is quite pleasant where desert meets the ocean, warm breezes and sunshine if your down with that. Winter inland can get a little chilly with wind, enough to wear a coat but not likely you'll need anti-freeze or tar chains.

Public transportation is lame and driving and parking in socal is rude. Everybody's in a hurry to get nowhere 30 seconds before the rest, don't worry about it. People tend to get dressy when they leave the condo whether a casual night at a concert, a trip to the DMV or Carl's Jr

--->Dave

DobbinsBlythe
08-13-08, 10:31 AM
It's not going to be much different from Tampa if the whole get out of my way so I can get to the next traffic light before you thing is still going on. I think we'll be fine. Housing is the big issue.. finding some. We have three pets.. the limit on Pendleton is 2.

Here are some things that I need to know....

What type of allowances will we receive or assistance pertaining to relocation?

I know that we will have travel expenses and lodging reimbursed and he will be able to take PTAD.

Do we find out at the TMO about allowances and such? Or is that the finance office?

I know a lot of spouses really want to know this info too (especially new spouses). Personally, I want to help my husband as much as possible to make this a smooth move. Last time we had a week to prepare and didn't know what the heck was going on. ... We still don't know what the heck is going on haha.

I'm really scatterbrained right now. I've got a million different checklists that are VERY helpful by the way from *************... here are links just because I know how crazy things can be without being organized..
(We get to move in a 99 acura integra --the Cpl wants us to drive b/c of the animals.. two cats, and a large breed pup who is now five months.. will be 9 months old when we move. VERY CRAMPED)

http://www.*************/Resources/ResourceFileView?file=Relocation_Checklist.htm

As far as costs.. we're lookin' at first months' rent, security deposit (equal to one month rent) and pet deposits, utility deposits, etc...

1 month rent in Oceanside, CA for the average 2/2 Townhome or SOMETHING small with a yard is about 1500 bucks. BAH for a Cpl is about 1550.... Not a good deal haha.

Initial costs up front.. about 4000 (1500x2, 600 for pets, 400 for Cable, utilities, refridgerator re-stocking.. etc)
WOW...

Ok, so any insight would be really helpful.

:confused:

Petz
08-13-08, 11:34 AM
Seriously though.. that bad?

they're scaring you about pendleton... back about 30 years ago they didn't have the barracks that you may know of, and the housing was slim pickins...

it's much better as of 3 and a half years ago, and my buddy over there right now says they put in a few new sub-divisions... so most of everything there is pretty nice.

but your man being a Cpl and all, well he should submit his request for housing now... it's based on rank and availibility... and when you requested the housing.

DobbinsBlythe
08-13-08, 12:48 PM
they're scaring you about pendleton... back about 30 years ago they didn't have the barracks that you may know of, and the housing was slim pickins...

it's much better as of 3 and a half years ago, and my buddy over there right now says they put in a few new sub-divisions... so most of everything there is pretty nice.

but your man being a Cpl and all, well he should submit his request for housing now... it's based on rank and availibility... and when you requested the housing.

We still can't live on base b/c of the number of pets we have. :(

That's ok though. It's better for us to live off base due to my husband's firearm collection anyway. (Yes we know we have to leave certain things in Alabama... like things labeled "assault rifle" and things with magazines carrying over 10 cartridges)

There's just a lot to do.. and a lot I don't know. Mostly entitlements.. >.<

Petz
08-13-08, 01:01 PM
I would recommend with the cost of living and the cost of gas, that you leave your pets.

the renters raise rent everytime BAH is raised... it's crappy.

and gas is over 4 dollars a gallon, and it's a lot of commuting. so go ahead and live off base... hope you're ok with working just so the both of you can make it to work.

Big Jim
08-13-08, 01:25 PM
We still can't live on base b/c of the number of pets we have. :(

That's ok though. It's better for us to live off base due to my husband's firearm collection anyway. (Yes we know we have to leave certain things in Alabama... like things labeled "assault rifle" and things with magazines carrying over 10 cartridges)

There's just a lot to do.. and a lot I don't know. Mostly entitlements.. >.<

MARIA!!!!!!!!!! HUGS AND KISSES HONEY!!!!!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! HEY, I CAN ANSWER SOME OF THOSE QUESTIONS FOR YOU BUT ITS BEST IF YOU JUST GO TO THOSE DEPARTMENTS FIRST AND FIND OUT HOW THEY'LL BE COORDINATED...START LOOKING FOR A HOUSE SOON AND SAVE YOUR $$$!!! YOU'LL DO OK...I KNOW YOU WILL!!! MISS TALKING TO YA!!! GIMME A CALL SOMETIME!!

SlingerDun
08-13-08, 05:33 PM
Can't escape that high regional rent. A commute south to the borderlands and the hood or inland a 100 miles NNE is where the cheaper housing is, otherwise the pets appear as the biggest liability.

Being on the cleaning and renovating end of Pop's rental properties over 30 years, whenever somebody moves out we take a hit, more so with pet owners.

The security/cleaning deposits never come close to covering materials and time off work i need to tear out and replace floors and carpet, repair holes in walls scratched up door frames...interior paint is about the only surefire way to rubout large animal smells. Then theres exterior damage...

Maybe we'll allow a parakeet and a turtle. But it's so much more economical and practical to say NO PETS! A monumental exuberant pet deposit deflects most potential customers

Good Luck

DobbinsBlythe
08-13-08, 06:01 PM
Can't escape that high regional rent. A commute south to the borderlands and the hood or inland a 100 miles NNE is where the cheaper housing is, otherwise the pets appear as the biggest liability.

Being on the cleaning and renovating end of Pop's rental properties over 30 years, whenever somebody moves out we take a hit, more so with pet owners.

The security/cleaning deposits never come close to covering materials and time off work i need to tear out and replace floors and carpet, repair holes in walls scratched up door frames...interior paint is about the only surefire way to rubout large animal smells. Then theres exterior damage...

Maybe we'll allow a parakeet and a turtle. But it's so much more economical and practical to say NO PETS! A monumental exuberant pet deposit deflects most potential customers

Good Luck

That being said... I'm a meticulously crazy woman that has the need to clean all the time (neat freak) and I have a high power carpet shampooer.. even when the Cpl comes home and doesn't take off his boots (I'm part korean too.. so I keep up with the "you take your shoes off in my house or I'll kick your a**!!!") I shampoo like a madwoman. I think special cases should be taken into consideration. I completley understand the liability b/c I've seen neighbors and friends who allow their dogs to piddle and scratch and all sorts of things.... but I don't allow my dog to do any of that and I think she'd let her bladder explode before she has another accident (she stopped about a month ago and she's 5 month's old).

It's just frustrating. I am NOT leaving my animals at home. My puppy helped me through my second miscarriage and kept me sane during David's last deployment. The kittens are David's and they're not going anywhere. During the short time we've had our pets.. they've become part of us. They're not going anywhere...

We're just going to have to live off base, which isn't bad b/c the guns are coming along.. and no way is David going to let the armory get a hold of collectable WWII rifles.

As soon as his orders get revised.. We'll get to the TMO and get everything squared away. I've got a calendar going of when we want everything to happen.. Looks like David will be taking about 25 days of leave... We're going to spend a lot of time with family over the winter holidays since we probably won't be seeing any of them until I get knocked up and have a baby.

Fun times!

FistFu68
08-13-08, 11:36 PM
:evilgrin: DEAL WITH IT,QUIT WHINING;YOU ARE A MARINES WIFE(LOL):D :iwo:

Petz
08-14-08, 12:35 AM
uh, you know people break into apartments right.... you should consider getting renters insurance if you plan on having expensive toys like that... USAA has great insurance plans and I love their customer service.

DobbinsBlythe
08-14-08, 08:49 AM
Already ahead of you on that one.. we already use USAA and have renter's insurance through them. The only thing we don't do is Bank with them... but that's going to change here in the next month.

That's one piece of advice that came in VERY handy.

MAKE SURE THE BANK YOU BANK WITH HAS A BRANCH OR AN ATM IN THE LOCATION YOU WILL BE MOVING TO! If there isn't one, make arrangements to bank with someone else.

My other main concern is just that everything moves smoothly. I don't know if I'm allowed to go to the finance office with my husband or not, but I'd really like to. It would make things easier since I'm the one who HANDLES our finances. Money makes or breaks you when you move.. so I'm hoping to make sure we're prepared.

Oh.. and Jack? Who's whining? I'm doing my job! :P (I hope you and your girls are doing well :D )

FistFu68
08-14-08, 02:32 PM
:evilgrin: CARRY ON D.B. A WIFES WORK IS NEVER ENDING ;) :thumbup:

SlingerDun
08-14-08, 04:41 PM
I think special cases should be taken into consideration....NO SOUP FOR YOU!

hehe nawww just expect a smaller market and higher deposits

I'm not sure what the USMC policy is on reimbursement for moving/traveling expenses and i realize you all don't pay much in taxes but what ever is left over and comes with a receipt during time in and preparing for transit, may very well be tax deductible. If The Corps pays cents on the mile per vehicle then you may be able to deduct your gasoline costs, oil change and truckstop meals with the IRS, u-haul trailer and hitch? etc...receipts are golden!

DobbinsBlythe
08-15-08, 12:31 AM
That's great advice! I'll remember that! Receipts! :D

Petz
08-15-08, 01:25 AM
you'd need a special power of attorney from your husband to handle ANYTHING to do with disbursing or pay... otherwise he'll have to do what you tell him to do.

it's the way the system works... can't get around it.

though I don't see why you couldn't just go WITH him, unless they do a confidentiality thing.

never had this problem before so, I hope this helped.

DobbinsBlythe
08-15-08, 08:07 AM
That's good info. I won't need the PoA. I'll have to talk to the husband about asking if I can go with. He's leaving for two weeks, so as soon as he comes home we should be able to get EVERYTHING squared away.

Achped
08-15-08, 11:48 AM
even when the Cpl comes home and doesn't take off his boots (I'm part korean too.. so I keep up with the "you take your shoes off in my house or I'll kick your a**!!!")

Ohhhhhhhh

DobbinsBlythe
08-16-08, 10:36 AM
Ohhhhhhhh

HAHAHA are you surprised with your experience with the Korean bagger ladies?

Maybe I should work at the commissary at Pendleton HAHA.

SGT7477
08-16-08, 10:44 AM
Ohhhhhhhh

Shoe shining is out?:flag: