PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Ticket while in DEP

procjr
08-10-08, 11:01 AM
Last night me and a friend were caught trying to get away from a party that had been busted and the cops caught us. I was charged with a under age Possession of Alcohol charge. I was very cooperative...

Wyoming
08-10-08, 11:11 AM
****ed up didn't you?

You were warned.

What is 'i' - 'sept' - 'havent' - 'sunday' - 'etc'.

Are these words or laziness or dumbass?

Oh yeah, WONDERFUL profile.

See an army recruiter ASAP.

SGT7477
08-10-08, 11:12 AM
You might have to join the army get in contact with the recruiter ASAP.

procjr
08-10-08, 11:21 AM
That's it? You don't think I could get a waiver?

BR34
08-10-08, 11:22 AM
Hate to tell you this but a summons is NOT a ticket. A summons is an arrest on paper, without hand cuffs. Trust me, I've been down that road. <br />
<br />
You were arrested last night. You need to call your...

BR34
08-10-08, 11:24 AM
That's it? You don't think I could get a waiver?

They're giving you a hard time because you made such a huge mistake so close to your date of departure. CALL YOUR RECRUITER!!! Didn't you have to sign something saying if anything happened/changed in your life you would call your recruiter and let him know ASAP?

DO IT NOW!

MontySpecial
08-10-08, 11:26 AM
The police will not care (especially since you're a MINOR?) if you joined the Armed Forces, you still have to follow rules like everyone else who drives a freaking car. You know better than to be putting yourself at that kind of risk. I myself agree with the Marines above me, even a Poolee like myself would rather not meet up with the likes of you. You gives us (Poolees) a bad name!

fjmas1976
08-10-08, 11:49 AM
YOU NEED TO TELL YOUR RECRUITER. If you don't show for Court that day, a default warrant will be issued for your arrest. Most likely you will have a pre-trial/show cause hearing with a Judge or Clerk...

JoeSzynal
08-10-08, 12:09 PM
Poolees let this be a lesson. O'l boy here may have just screwed himself out of a great enlistment/career because of the decision he made. This subject hits home with me as I've got four Marines in my company pending legal separation due to incidents with underage drinking (some with MULTIPLE incidents!! Are you kidding me???). Two of them just got to the fleet within the last four months which is pathetic, and they came in with NJPs - at SOI!!!. One of them deployed with me last time and was a stellar Marine in the field, but a DBag in garrison. Another was a boot who got all tuned up on booze and decided to bug out in the barracks and (try to) fight the Duty, then the SOG, then the OOD and then various members of his command at the hospital (he was admitted after suffering a head wound from falling off the catwalk).

Becoming a Marine does not give you any extra protection from the law when you decide to be a dumbA$$. Depending on the infraction, you are actually twice as liable as a civilian (federal/state law, and then the UCMJ). Your time in the DEP, along with weekend libo at SOI and the remainder of your underage time in the fleet... it is crucial for you to be on your best behavior. Whether you are driving or not, you're "drunk" at %.01..

Being away on leave does not give you any sort of cushion either. Get arrested a thousand miles away and the police discover you're a Marine.. guess who's getting a call. Stand by.

Every unit is different. Our 1ST SGT had enough after this latest barrage of incidents and put the barracks on dry status for a significant amount of time.

TRUST ME, YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE THE PVT OR PFC RESPONSIBLE FOR A DRY BARRACKS WHEN YOU'VE GOT A HUNDRED OVER-21 SENIOR LANCES OR CPLs LOOKING TO GET AFTER A COUPLE BEERS AFTER A WEEK IN THE FIELD, ESPECIALLY HERE IN 29 PALMS... THAT'S ONE OF OUR FEW RELEASES. THERE'S NOTHING OUT HERE.

You're underage and you get in alcohol trouble, forget promotion.. forget any sort of leadership billet, and forget the respect of your command (which many here know is the one that stings the most, I've seen great Marines spiral after one DUI/NJP/Demotion). Once you get that "turd" label it's VERY tough to shake.

My point, if you are underage and you decide to drink, you are rolling the dice. I am not even going to address drugs... that's a decision so ignorant it does not warrant any sort of explanation.

JoeSzynal
08-10-08, 12:15 PM
One thing I forgot to mention above, DO NOT be the Marine or Poolee who supplies alcohol to anyone underage. In the fleet you will be standing tall in front of the man alongside the underage Marine in all the same trouble.

MontySpecial
08-10-08, 12:53 PM
Cpl. Joe that was very well said.
About the Marines with multiple accounts: that's really embarrassing to think people don't learn from their mistakes like that!

I thought signing a drug waiver was embarrassing as it is, but it seems getting in trouble RIGHT BEFORE your ship date couldn't be topped.

fjmas1976
08-10-08, 01:00 PM
Cpl. Joe that was very well said.
About the Marines with multiple accounts: that's really embarrassing to think people don't learn from their mistakes like that!

I thought signing a drug waiver was embarrassing as it is, but it seems getting in trouble RIGHT BEFORE your ship date couldn't be topped.
Drug Waiver....lol. I remember on the day I was shipping, the Corps Admin. that was processing us scared a bunch of guys into getting drug waivers. They told us if we had smoked weed or even been around anyone that was smoking weed, we should get a waiver in case of "popping" on the pi*s test at Recruit Training......Suddenly, it seemed everyone wanted a waiver. (not me...I was the son of a Police Officer and drug-free)

Moral of the story.....don't walk where you're not supposed to and don't do drugs.:usmc:

Books
08-10-08, 01:02 PM
Sort of a related question:

When Marines are in a place where the drinking age is very low or non-existant, do they still have to follow U.S. laws or the ones of that country?

coltie52
08-10-08, 01:39 PM
Last night a Friend and I <br />
haha I had an English teacher that would bite off a students head if they disobeyed this rule.

Books
08-10-08, 01:59 PM
Meh, that doesn't bother me so much. What bothers me is when people use "a friend and I" exclusively to sound smart... It's annoying. My English teacher calls it "country club English".

i.e., "The police caught a friend and I" is incorrect, but some morons will insist that it is. (obviously the correct is "... caught me and a friend")

fjmas1976
08-10-08, 02:07 PM
Last night a Friend and I
haha I had an English teacher that would bite off a students head if they disobeyed this rule.
Grammar is the least of his worries right now:evilgrin:

introspect
08-10-08, 02:09 PM
Hey, I don't know what type of relationship you and your recruiter established, but you should have called your recruiter as it was happening.. Had that happen down here and the recruiter was able to reason with the cop. Just my two cents.

BR34
08-10-08, 02:43 PM

When Marines are in a place where the drinking age is very low or non-existant, do they still have to follow U.S. laws or the ones of that country?

Probably would be commands discrection, but I could be wrong.

Just don't drink until you're 21, or if you do drink, DON'T ****ING DRIVE!!!

Drinking and driving is by far the biggest problems I've seen Marines have in the fleet, and I outrank alot of them now because of it.

Zulu 36
08-10-08, 03:43 PM
Where did this happen? Why do you expect the police officer to have mercy upon your errant soul? A LOT of jurisdictions have zero tolerance policies for underage drinking and possession.

Rowe907
08-10-08, 04:03 PM
Im not going to harp on you for making a mistake. Focus on what you need to do. Call you recruiter and tell him what happened. The Marine Corps needs to know whats going on with your azz. Your...

slimmy07
08-10-08, 09:08 PM
Look kid, as a former recruiter you did NOT ruin your military career. You will have to get your shiped date pushed back. You also might not get the MOS you currently have too.the only way that you...

PhantomLord
08-10-08, 09:23 PM
Hey, I don't know what type of relationship you and your recruiter established, but you should have called your recruiter as it was happening.. Had that happen down here and the recruiter was able to reason with the cop. Just my two cents.

Reason with the cop huh? i believe the cop was trying to put some reason into him. He made an extremely stupid decision. EXTREMELY. Now answer this. Was it worth the trouble and hassle. If no, then why the hell did you do it. I'm having a hard time with my 14 year old brother for the same stupid ****. He's done had his ass kicked atleast 5 times by me and 5 times by our father. Pull your head out of your ass. Drinking and driving is what gets people killed. Again, was it worth it. Would it have been worth some innocent civilians life so that you could throw a few drinks back. HELL NO it wasnt. I had to attend my best friends funeral at 16. Ya know what caused it. Drinking. Nothing like flying out your windsheild at 75 mph and sliding about 200 feet down the highway on your face.

Next time think. Not for your sake but for others.

Thats my .02.

God bless

slimmy07
08-10-08, 10:07 PM
Kid, will you please tell us if you were driving or not. the way I took your post was that you were trying to leave a party(walk out the door, cops walking up) and a cop stopped you and you had liquor/beer on you. I never saw "driving on your post". I ususally dont assume anything because it usually makes an ass out of people, but a TON of people on this post are talking about drinking and driving. Were you actually driving and got pulled over?

Garrett90
08-10-08, 10:13 PM
Kid, will you please tell us if you were driving or not. the way I took your post was that you were trying to leave a party(walk out the door, cops walking up) and a cop stopped you and you had liquor/beer on you. I never saw "driving on your post". I ususally dont assume anything because it usually makes an ass out of people, but a TON of people on this post are talking about drinking and driving. Were you actually driving and got pulled over?

Exactly my thoughts too. I was trying to figure out how everyone but me "knew" he was driving too.

Nick Valdez
08-10-08, 10:44 PM
BR24 is on the money. You were arrested for drinking under age. I was a police officer for 25 years and I have had times when individuals would inform me that they were going into the military. I arrested them anyway. If you can't stay out of trouble before you entered the Corps, I sure as hell don't want you in my Marine Corps.
PS. Like some of the other Marines stated, join the army.

slimmy07
08-10-08, 11:00 PM
BR24 is on the money. You were arrested for drinking under age. I was a police officer for 25 years and I have had times when individuals would inform me that they were going into the military. I arrested them anyway. If you can't stay out of trouble before you entered the Corps, I sure as hell don't want you in my Marine Corps.
PS. Like some of the other Marines stated, join the army.

"You sure as hell dont want you in my Marine Corps". Really??? Because of a mistake? Have you never made a mistake? I have been in the Corps for 9 years, i was raised by "old school" Marines, My former platoon Sergeant and Company Gunny were bad ass old school Marines. My grandfather was a Marine and I always grew up thinking Marines worked hard and party hard. I grew up old school. Im not saying its ok, but Marines are/were known for getting into a "little" trouble. Like Chesty Puller used to say " Take me to the brig, I want to see real Marines". That is what I love about the Corps, that old school attitude. Its kind of missing now, not be my Marines. Again, Im not saying its ok..But Marines get into a little trouble from time to time.

slimmy07
08-10-08, 11:12 PM
We live like soldiers and talk like sailors and slap the Hell out of both of them. Marine by day, lover by night, drunkard by choice, MARINE BY GOD!!! OORAH!!!" (http://www.usmc.mil/)</U>

gobuffs10
08-11-08, 12:48 AM
Good luck man. I had a habit of getting caught for drinking underage (they are really strict about it in Colorado, even more so at CU). Luckily I was smart enough to not be driving.

What I got was community service, a fine, alcohol education classes, and I had to go to a Mothers Against Drunk Driving victim impact panel. I also lost my license for 3 months (weird Colorado rule...they take it even if no vehicle was involved). The panel is the worst: mothers of kids killed in drunk driving accidents telling the stories for two hours. Do your community service and all the required stuff ASAP, submit it, and then be done with it. After you are sentenced, they give you a new court date like a year later, but if your stuff is done, you don't have to go, the judge just opens your file, sees everything is in there, and closes it. That's my advice to you. I'm still finishing up the stuff from my tickets, and it has cost a lot of time and more importantly, money. I was being a dumb kid, and I have not been in trouble since, but all the **** you gotta do adds up.

I would bet the majority of folks on this board consumed while underage. The difference between them and us is that we got caught. Here is what I can tell you: be smart. Choose where you go carefully. Ask yourself before you go out what the potential outcome of the party will be. Yes, it can get busted, as you saw. Make better decisions, learn from the idiot (me) that has been there. I'm squared away now, but for awhile there, smart choices were not my specialty. The circumstances varied, but the outcome was the same: court. And court is no fun.

Lucky me, only a month til my 21st.

ItzAlex
08-11-08, 01:36 AM
One thing I forgot to mention above, DO NOT be the Marine or Poolee who supplies alcohol to anyone underage. In the fleet you will be standing tall in front of the man alongside the underage Marine in all the same trouble.

Usually worse. Being of age, you should know better. They really drop the hammer on suppliers. You think your buddy is going to keep your name a secret? Yeah thats what the last PFC caught supplying alcohol thought too.

Nick Valdez
08-11-08, 06:52 AM
"You sure as hell dont want you in my Marine Corps". Really??? Because of a mistake? Have you never made a mistake? I have been in the Corps for 9 years, i was raised by "old school" Marines, My former platoon Sergeant and Company Gunny were bad ass old school Marines. My grandfather was a Marine and I always grew up thinking Marines worked hard and party hard. I grew up old school. Im not saying its ok, but Marines are/were known for getting into a "little" trouble. Like Chesty Puller used to say " Take me to the brig, I want to see real Marines". That is what I love about the Corps, that old school attitude. Its kind of missing now, not be my Marines. Again, Im not saying its ok..But Marines get into a little trouble from time to time.

Let's put this one to rest. You are right, we all make mistakes and if I had a dollar for every mistake I made, well you know the answer to that one. The old corps is still there, you younger marines go about it somewhat different than we did. Marines drink, always have and always will but that is not the issue here. Yes I have done my share of drinking and still have one or two or three. The issue here is that this kid has not earned the right yet to be called a marine and he is starting off on the wrong foot. Remember, we want the best for our corps, as I'm sure you know Sgt. Good luck to you and if we ever meet, I will buy the first round.

Petz
08-11-08, 07:19 AM

ok, answer is simple... yes.

if you get libo on ship at say sidney austrailia and you are underage... you drink you have fun... then the SP comes around and checks your ID.... you are busted for drinking underage even though you only had one of two all night and have all your faculties about you.

another senario.... you goto mexico on the weekend while being stationed on Camp Pendleton, you drink most of the night, you goto the brothel and have a woman or two, then you walk back across the border... and the MPs stop you.... you're busted if they can smell the alchol or if it shows on the breathalizer.

Semper follow the underage drinking rules.

once you're 21 you can have a huge wet-down and be drunk for the entire weekend (just sober up and hydrate before monday PT) just don't get arrested while doing it or have the duty bust you.

coltie52
08-11-08, 10:45 AM
Grammar is the least of his worries right now:evilgrin:
True, but how did he talk to the Police Officer could be a big deal, I hear they don't really like Slang.:banana:

ItzAlex
08-11-08, 11:01 AM
ok, answer is simple... yes.

if you get libo on ship at say sidney austrailia and you are underage... you drink you have fun... then the SP comes around and checks your ID.... you are busted for drinking underage even though you only had one of two all night and have all your faculties about you.

another senario.... you goto mexico on the weekend while being stationed on Camp Pendleton, you drink most of the night, you goto the brothel and have a woman or two, then you walk back across the border... and the MPs stop you.... you're busted if they can smell the alchol or if it shows on the breathalizer.

Semper follow the underage drinking rules.

once you're 21 you can have a huge wet-down and be drunk for the entire weekend (just sober up and hydrate before monday PT) just don't get arrested while doing it or have the duty bust you.

Ssgt, theres a new rule about drinking. If your under the age of 21, its up to the command's dissgression IF you are over the drinking age of where your at.

Petz
08-11-08, 11:04 AM
...interesting... doubt they'll allow it... it is their ass that will be fried if you 'cause an incident

PhantomLord
08-11-08, 11:26 AM
My step father was in the Navy through Desert Shield and Desert Storm. He was 18 when he joined and he said that if there arises a time were everyone is drinking around you ie your buddies, a few higher ranks, etc. Then its best if you go right along with it. He said he made that mistake one time. He says if you do that then they get the idea that you think your better then them, or don't like them, or what have you. So he told me that if the situation happens, go with the flow but never lose your control. Kick back a few beers and enjoy your time. So thats my .02 of what I have been told.

Garrett90
08-11-08, 12:05 PM
My step father was in the Navy through Desert Shield and Desert Storm. He was 18 when he joined and he said that if there arises a time were everyone is drinking around you ie your buddies, a few higher ranks, etc. Then its best if you go right along with it. He said he made that mistake one time. He says if you do that then they get the idea that you think your better then them, or don't like them, or what have you. So he told me that if the situation happens, go with the flow but never lose your control. Kick back a few beers and enjoy your time. So thats my .02 of what I have been told.

That kind of sounds like encouragement to fall to peer pressure to me. Don't do what "everyone else is doing" just to avoid an awkward situation or to fit in. You do what YOU want to do, just be prepared to suffer the consequences if worst comes to worst with a situation that you are in or a decision that you have made. No one can make you do anything, all they can do is pressure you. In the end the final decision is up to YOU, and YOU only. If the sh*t hits the fan though, don't point fingers, just man up and accept the punishment.

slimmy07
08-11-08, 01:19 PM
Let's put this one to rest. You are right, we all make mistakes and if I had a dollar for every mistake I made, well you know the answer to that one. The old corps is still there, you younger marines go about it somewhat different than we did. Marines drink, always have and always will but that is not the issue here. Yes I have done my share of drinking and still have one or two or three. The issue here is that this kid has not earned the right yet to be called a marine and he is starting off on the wrong foot. Remember, we want the best for our corps, as I'm sure you know Sgt. Good luck to you and if we ever meet, I will buy the first round.

Good to Go! I agree, Semper fi!

PhantomLord
08-11-08, 01:30 PM
That kind of sounds like encouragement to fall to peer pressure to me. Don't do what "everyone else is doing" just to avoid an awkward situation or to fit in. You do what YOU want to do, just be prepared to suffer the consequences if worst comes to worst with a situation that you are in or a decision that you have made. No one can make you do anything, all they can do is pressure you. In the end the final decision is up to YOU, and YOU only. If the sh*t hits the fan though, don't point fingers, just man up and accept the punishment.

In a way yes it was. But sometimes its better to go with the flow then to throw a big boulder in the pond. But thats a judgment call you have to make and deal with.

Petz
08-11-08, 09:22 PM
though he makes a poor judgment call by saying his statement, he does make the point that you are your own man, and you should make your own decisions.

as for drinking underage... listen to what my unit SACO rep says

"crack is whack, if you booze you lose."

learn it, live it.... stay out of trouble.

PhantomLord
08-11-08, 09:28 PM
though he makes a poor judgment call by saying his statement, he does make the point that you are your own man, and you should make your own decisions.

as for drinking underage... listen to what my unit SACO rep says

"crack is whack, if you booze you lose."

learn it, live it.... stay out of trouble.

Hit the nail on the head, Sgt. If you are going to break a rule you need to be man enough to take responsibility for it, not beg for mercy. We all make decisions like this. Its a part of being human. You either decide to do it or don't. You have to live with the consequences if you get caught.

http://www.huddersfieldscooterclub.co.uk/funstufffiles/saynotocrack.jpg

Classic ^^^^:D

Integrity57
08-11-08, 10:00 PM
I got a good story, there was this 19-year-old Sailor in my school house who decided to go out and get ****faced the weekend before he graduated A school (his graduation was supposed to be the...

slimmy07
08-12-08, 11:27 AM
"TAKE ME TO THE BRIG, I WANT TO SEE REAL MARINES."
Chesty Puller