PDA

View Full Version : Family Influence

Semper-1775-Fi
08-08-08, 08:47 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering, how many of you Marines and us Poolees had a close family member in the Marines, and if they significantly effected your decision to join. I am just curious because my father was a Marine from '78-'82 Anti-Tank Assaultman, just as the TOW weapons system was comming out, and I'm pretty sure it is because of him that as long as I can remember I wanted to be a Marine. If not a family member, what made you want to be a Marine?

darkgreen0311
08-08-08, 09:22 PM
Never had any other Marines in my family. I had wanted to be a Marine ever since i was about ten years old. I just knew at that age there was something special about Marines. I also wanted a challenge to see if i had what it took and i guess i did. No regrets ever, i just wish i would of stayed 20 years.

:marine:Semper FI 4 Life

jarheadlady
08-08-08, 09:37 PM
My father is a Marine SgtMaj and my son is an active duty Cpl. Yes, in our family it is a tradition. 3 generations of excellence, we accept nothing less.

Semper-1775-Fi
08-11-08, 02:05 AM
I just got back from my dad's old Marine Corps friend's camp in New Hampshire. I have always called the guy my "uncle", that just how close he is. It was great, I got to see all their scrapbooks from Subic Bay and what not. That I gues is just what I call my family influence, I can't wait to ship.

By the way, thats pretty solid Jarheadlady, much respect to you and your family and all other Marines for serving our country.

davblay
08-11-08, 08:40 AM
My oldest Brother joined the Corps in April 1960, at that time I was 9 years old. I joined in March 1969, another brother joined in Sept 1970. Oh... one did fall thru the cracks, My youngest brother went Army! But no one else in the family, that I know of, served in the Corps. Well I do have a distant cousin that served in WW II at Nagasaki, during the Nuke clean up period, messed him up bad!

Dave

Petz
08-11-08, 08:43 AM
dave, I bet that did mess him up something fierce.

I joined because I was bored.

davblay
08-11-08, 08:49 AM
dave, I bet that did mess him up something fierce.

I joined because I was bored.

He stayed there for 6 months! He still has that 1000 yard stare and he is in his 80s, I guess he always will. The sad thing is that I, myself, didn't realize what he had done until I joined the Corps! We kids always thought he was nuts, he could never keep a job! I guess you have to walk a mile in his shoes huh?

Petz
08-11-08, 10:40 AM
yeah, the sad thing was... he had some serious PTSD... and I've heard so many people try to tell me that it doesn't exist!!!!! that really ****es me off. they don't know because they don't experience it... that doesn't mean it's not something that affects 1000's of troops.

THAT AINT IT
08-11-08, 12:40 PM
My uncle served in the Marines during Vietnam. I didnt really know about it until after I had already enlisted. He said it was either get drafted into the Army or enlist in the Marines so he really didnt have that much influence on me joining.
I really joined because people told me i couldnt do it and i dont regret it at all.

Petz
08-11-08, 09:23 PM
my reason is more pointless than yours!!! hahaha!