PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea?

dk151993
08-06-08, 08:30 PM
My best friend and I want to join the Corps when we graduate. This morning he told me how he wants to do things. He wants to go reserve so he can get 0311 and then switch over to AD. He would be doing that just so he could get a guaranteed MOS. Is is a good idea for him to do that and is it even possible? Thanks.

Travbabble
08-06-08, 08:40 PM
Why not just become an active 0311? If the recruiter can't promise him that, then I'd say wait. Get what you want the first time, so you don't regret it later

RYDERKUR
08-06-08, 09:38 PM
Are they doing active guarantees? I've only heard of the open 03XX for active. When I went through ITB those who wanted 0311's didn't have a problem at all. Of course that was only one class at one point in the year, but I think if you want 0311, it's not that difficult. I may be mistaken and probably will be refuted by others, but thats just my .02

JordanB
08-06-08, 11:42 PM
yeah 0311 is a blessing and a curse, we are the "door kickers" but we also get all the defaults who cant get into weapons.

Petz
08-07-08, 01:15 AM
... it's much harder going from reserves to active duty, it can take up to 2 years and he'll have to be approved by a special board in quantico. I'd say wait until it opens up.. if he's willing to walk when the recruiter says no... I'm sure the recruiter will give him something... besides, if he joins the dep... he won't need to sign an MOS until he ships
he can be in the DEP for a year then drop for a day then join the DEP for another year.... (a recruiter told me it can be done damn it!)

so I'm sure if he waits he'll get what he wants.... but don't let him foolishly go and think for himself.... yeah I said it.

dk151993
08-07-08, 01:43 PM
Why not just become an active 0311? If the recruiter can't promise him that, then I'd say wait. Get what you want the first time, so you don't regret it later

I thought you couldn't get a guaranteed MOS only a feild if you went AD. I am going to show him this thread later today. Thanks.

slimmy07
08-07-08, 04:28 PM
True on the fact he can get a DEP discharge and join the Dep a few days later, but as far as it taking 2 years to swith from active to reserv is false. You get a 368 form, that is a conditional...

dk151993
08-07-08, 06:46 PM
So to be clear I could for example, join the DEP and not sign until an 0311 slot opens up and then sign with that MOS guaranteed to me and if one hasn't opened up in a years time I could drop out of the DEP and go back in a few days later. Thanks.

davblay
08-07-08, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the site, but I wouldn't worry to much about that right now, after all you are only 15! Enjoy school and have fun, worry about this later, ok?

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=46817

Dave

Petz
08-08-08, 12:28 AM
if they're in the IRR it counts as credit... but attached to a SMCR unit it does not, true... but if they are turds enough to not do some paperwork (which you can do to help them of course) then go...

bgsuwoody
08-10-08, 12:06 PM
So to be clear I could for example, join the DEP and not sign until an 0311 slot opens up and then sign with that MOS guaranteed to me and if one hasn't opened up in a years time I could drop out of the DEP and go back in a few days later. Thanks.

BINGO!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE IS GETTING IT!

Petz
08-10-08, 06:11 PM
a correction to an earlier statement of mine in this thread.

I mentioned it could take up to 2 years to go active from reserves... while I used a real persons time that they took, I didn't know until this weekend why this was true... the person I used had two children and had joint custody after the divorce.... because of this, the persons command did not sign off on the conditional release until her situation was more solidified... she went AR first, then once everything was resolved she went AD... hope this clears things up.... a bit more.

onux16
08-10-08, 06:32 PM
dk151993, if your buddy wants the AD contract that badly, it's in his best interest to wait. In case he didn't know, it takes two years starting the day your last school ends to be eligible for lat move -- correct me if I'm wrong. That's two years in the infantry field. Granted, he'll be a reservist and not active duty, but it won't be a walk in the park, and he's still deployable. It won't do anybody any good having a rifleman in the heat of battle wishing he made a smarter choice (and I'm NOT talking about college, Gentlemen!)

You need to sit him down and make sure his priorities are straight. If, by the end of the conversation, it's still something he wants, then by all means, let him go with that decision.