PDA

View Full Version : Combat Life?

Cisco4711
08-04-08, 07:56 PM
Hi Everyone, I was just wondering what combat life is like. I plan on enlisting during high school to be shipped out right after. I've been wanting to do this since the 8th grade and currently about to be in 11th. I really want to have a combat MOS, but I have no idea what the life is like. Yes I have read about it, but I would like to hear some personal experinces from Combat Veterans, and reasons for doing combat when they could have picked something else. My reasons are because it's an expereince which you will not recieve anywhere else in the world and also because it will toughen me up.I am highly considering Scout Sniper because of the fact that they are not on the frontlines, yet they still get their dosage of combat from far.

P.S- If any of my presumptions are incorrect, please feel free to correct me. Thanks in advance Marines.

Marine84
08-04-08, 08:10 PM
Yawwwwwwwwwn

ecfree
08-04-08, 08:23 PM
Son do yourself a favor.Keep your nose in the books.Graduate high school,go to college,earn a couple of degrees.
Become a Marine Officer,maybe a pilot.

Combat is nothing nice to remember,it's not fun,it's not like you see in the movies.......:mad:
That's all you get from me.....out

jetdoc
08-04-08, 08:32 PM
Son do yourself a favor.Keep your nose in the books.Graduate high school,go to college,earn a couple of degrees.
Become a Marine Officer,maybe a pilot.

Combat is nothing nice to remember,it's not fun,it's not like you see in the movies.......:mad:
That's all you get from me.....out

100% great post!! You should be worrying about which college you're going to.

kevinj76
08-05-08, 01:39 PM
Dont bother. Iraq is not what it used to be if your lookin to get get some. Go to school, dont waste your time. If in 5 years after high school you just cant get over not being a marine, enlist.

maverickmarine
08-05-08, 01:48 PM
Yawwwwwwwwwn

LMAO!

Cisco4711
08-06-08, 01:21 PM
well I have considered school, but I don't see myself doing it.
I'd rather join the Corps and learn a thing or so. But I'm still wondering what combat life is like, nothing on the internet can describe it except the personal experiences a combat veteran has had. Such as, how often do you PT? DO you ever get any form of entertainment? Just a daily routine of the combat life

jarheadlady
08-06-08, 03:43 PM
well I have considered school, but I don't see myself doing it.
I'd rather join the Corps and learn a thing or so. But I'm still wondering what combat life is like, nothing on the internet can describe it except the personal experiences a combat veteran has had. Such as, how often do you PT? DO you ever get any form of entertainment? Just a daily routine of the combat life

If you dont see yourself joining the Corps then get THE FU*K OFF OUR BOARD... go watch a friggin movie or something... gezuz

Cisco4711
08-06-08, 06:58 PM
If you dont see yourself joining the Corps then get THE FU*K OFF OUR BOARD... go watch a friggin movie or something... gezuz
ummm....you misread the post. I was obviously referring to school (college). Any Combat people out there??? Snipers??

davblay
08-06-08, 07:10 PM
ummm....you misread the post. I was obviously referring to school (college). Any Combat people out there??? Snipers??

Son you just got some good sound advice from a Gunnery Sgt of Marines! She knows what she's talking about!

I know what you are wanting to hear, but there ain't one Combat Vet, that I know, that will discuss it with anyone that hasn't BTDT! It ain't like the movies Son, it for real and forever! There are no winners in War, except the ones that make the weapons and Ammo!

Check your attitude at the sign in page! Remember these two things while you are here: 1) Marines are always right.......and 2) if Marines are wrong, see rule one! But never try to debate or dispute what a Marine says here on this site!

I hope you get what you want out of life, but you just ain't ganna get anyone with combat experience to share with you just because you wnt to know! Don't work that way!

Dave

jarheadlady
08-06-08, 07:22 PM

The Cpl of Marines is 100% correct. You are not going to get responses from combat Marines because YOU WANT TO KNOW. Get a grip on reality, this isnt an XBOX360 game, its real life. If you want to know what combat is, go down, sign the line for 0311 and get into the fight. Thats when you will find out what combat is.

Next thing I would like to point out to you is this;
Just because my screen name has the word "Lady" in it do NOT assume 2 things...

Do NOT assume that I am always a lady
Do NOT assume that because I am a lady that I do not know what combat is.

ecfree
08-06-08, 08:15 PM
:thumbup:

Achped
08-06-08, 08:32 PM
Here's to you Gunny! :beer:
(You're gonna have to buy the drink though, cuz...Im not old enough yet. :nerd:)

Cisco4711
08-06-08, 10:07 PM
I guess yall are right. I'm probably gonna be hard-headed enough to find out the hard way, and I suspected that people that people wouldn't talk about it :(
Thanks alot for the advice everyone, especially you Gunnery Sgt :D

davblay
08-06-08, 11:12 PM
The Cpl of Marines is 100% correct. You are not going to get responses from combat Marines because YOU WANT TO KNOW. Get a grip on reality, this isnt an XBOX360 game, its real life. If you want to know what combat is, go down, sign the line for 0311 and get into the fight. Thats when you will find out what combat is.

Next thing I would like to point out to you is this;
Just because my screen name has the word "Lady" in it do NOT assume 2 things...

Do NOT assume that I am always a lady
Do NOT assume that because I am a lady that I do not know what combat is.

Gunny, you are one of my new favorite members here now! :beer:

Semper Fi,

Dave

blackshirts
08-31-09, 07:30 PM
In training, a lot or almost all, Marines talk about deployments being fun and how they enjoy getting after the enemy and killing bodies. When does the change take place that Marines start feeling bad for killing scumbag terrorists? Obviously losing brothers in arms must be terribly painful, but does killing the enemy make you feel bad?

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 06:48 AM
In training, a lot or almost all, Marines talk about deployments being fun and how they enjoy getting after the enemy and killing bodies. When does the change take place that Marines start feeling bad for killing scumbag terrorists? Obviously losing brothers in arms must be terribly painful, but does killing the enemy make you feel bad?

Deployments are what you make of them. Sit around on your duff on your free time and they will suck. You have to find things to occupy your time in a constructive way.

Feel bad for killing terrorist..... never. I don't feel bad for anyone I have ever had to kill. Thats was what I was trained to do and will do it again if called on. Is it something I look forward to, no. It does hurt to loose a brother but it doesn't make the pain go away when you kill the next bad guy. It's there and will stay there till you move on to the next life. The one's that come back and run around laughing and joking about killing --- stay away from them. Either they are full of sh!t or they are trying to cover up their feelings. One day it will hit them like a ton of bricks and they will have to deal with it.

And for the kid that started this thread..... want to find out what combat is like...... take a gun and find a gang on the street. Try to kill as many of them as you can before they get you. If you live through it, lets see if you want to tell your story.

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 06:50 AM
Hi Everyone, I was just wondering what combat life is like. I plan on enlisting during high school to be shipped out right after. I've been wanting to do this since the 8th grade and currently about to be in 11th. I really want to have a combat MOS, but I have no idea what the life is like. Yes I have read about it, but I would like to hear some personal experinces from Combat Veterans, and reasons for doing combat when they could have picked something else. My reasons are because it's an expereince which you will not recieve anywhere else in the world and also because it will toughen me up.I am highly considering Scout Sniper because of the fact that they are not on the frontlines, yet they still get their dosage of combat from far.

P.S- If any of my presumptions are incorrect, please feel free to correct me. Thanks in advance Marines.

Snipers do NOT always get their combat experience from afar. Quite a few have been killed or wounded by IED or close range combat. Where do you think scout-snipers come from? They are generally selected from infantrymen who, these days, have already seen the elephant at least once as a regular grunt and proven themselves worthy.

I just read an article about an infantry company in Afghanistan who has had two assigned snipers shot while on separate patrols. One, his armor protected him, the other got shot under his arm (but will survive). So much for combat from afar.

Put all your war movies away along with your CombatKillWorldWarriorSuperSecretSniperSEALSpecial Forces x-box games.

It isn't always killing the real bad guys that gets you. They mostly chose to be where they were at and tried to kill you. They got what they deserved and needed so you could survive. F*ck them.

It's seeing your friends and fellow Marines get killed or badly wounded. It's seeing the little kids who have zero control over anything getting caught in the middle and paying the price. It's wondering if you could have done something different to have prevented those deaths, or why it was your buddy standing next to you who got the bullet and not you. This is the pain that stays with you.

Every Marine is a rifleman. Lots of Marines who are not grunts get into combat on a daily basis. Including females. So be very careful, young Padawan, who you question when it comes to combat experience.

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 06:54 AM
CombatKillWorldWarriorSuperSecretSniperSEALSpecial Forces x-box games.

I don't have that game yet. Where can I find it?:D

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 07:03 AM
I don't have that game yet. Where can I find it?:D

I's a Beta right now. You have to be a male Marine combat infantry sniper veteran to have one. I pulled in some favors to get one. :D

sparkie
09-01-09, 07:12 AM
I think you gotta mostly blame this stuff on playstation.

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 07:24 AM
I think you gotta mostly blame this stuff on playstation.

Playstation sucks. XBOX is where the action is. :beer:

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 07:25 AM
I's a Beta right now. You have to be a male Marine combat infantry sniper veteran to have one. I pulled in some favors to get one. :D

Dayum..... never been a sniper before. Does it count that I shot 3 guys with a mk19 at about 800 meters?

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 07:44 AM
Dayum..... never been a sniper before. Does it count that I shot 3 guys with a mk19 at about 800 meters?

Is it on YouTube?

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 07:47 AM
Is it on YouTube?

no:( Guess that means it doesn't count. Sh1t I wanted that game.

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 07:49 AM
no:( Guess that means it doesn't count. Sh1t I wanted that game.

Well... you could always get a broomstick.:marine:

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 07:50 AM
Well... you could always get a broomstick.:marine:

Just had to go there didn't you.:evilgrin:
Only if it will help me get into recon.:beer:

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 07:53 AM
Just had to go there didn't you.:evilgrin:
Only if it will help me get into recon.:beer:

Yeah, but ya gotta volunteer to go through Boot again :evilgrin:

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 07:57 AM
Yeah, but ya gotta volunteer to go through Boot again :evilgrin:

Does driving through the area count? Still means I went through it right?

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 08:09 AM
Does driving through the area count? Still means I went through it right?

Yes, but you have to stop at the PX and get a laundry bag full of disposable razors for like 2 bucks a pop and sell them for 6 on the street. :banana:

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 08:13 AM
Yes, but you have to stop at the PX and get a laundry bag full of disposable razors for like 2 bucks a pop and sell them for 6 on the street. :banana:

What if I was to just buy some crack on the street and sell it at the PX? I could make more beer money there.:beer:

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 08:15 AM
What if I was to just buy some crack on the street and sell it at the PX? I could make more beer money there.:beer:

Would definetely help keep those recruits awake... :D

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 08:25 AM
Would definetely help keep those recruits awake... :D

I didn't sleep good last night and I am draggin azz this morning. Maybe I need to go buy myself some.

Guess I will just drink a couple of more cups of joe and keep chuggin away.

Quinbo
09-01-09, 08:59 AM
I'm flabbergasted.

Petz
09-01-09, 09:00 AM
they still have them using mach3? I' got the fusion and it has like 28 blades on it, and vibrates to "stimulate" the hairs. I paid close to 30 bucks for a pack of 8....

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 09:03 AM
Get a feather and learn how to straight razor shave. Blades are like 5 cents a pop and you use half of one for 4-5 shaves.

Petz
09-01-09, 09:06 AM
I have a straight razor, and I use it on occasion... doesn't mean I don't like the convenience of using 28 razors at once on my face. I'm a man with thick facial hair that doesn't like straight razor shaving in areas like my chin (it super thick there), that damn blade never seems to be sharp enough...

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 09:08 AM
I'm flabbergasted.

They have an ointment for that at the PX.

@ SSgt Petzold; do you have a solid/wedge straight razor or a replaceable Feather style straight razor? I've got a Polish wedge straight razor but I don't want to sharpen it because it's not convenient and I have 43 million other things to do.

You can pick up a Feather for around $70 I believe and you'll never have to sharpen again; I'd recommend you strop it a bit though.

Supersquishy
09-01-09, 09:11 AM
I have issues with straight razors, especially getting a haircut and the barber shaving around my neck. Gives me the heebeejeebees.

Quinbo
09-01-09, 09:11 AM
No remorse we need to hear that story again about that one time you were walking along with danial boone and kilt a bear with a toothpick.

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 09:19 AM
That dang bear was near a hunnerd feet tall to boot!

Petz
09-01-09, 09:52 AM
http://bestgroomingtools.com/images/415835_lg.jpg

sorry this is so big. This is basically what I got, don't know about feather or wedge, all I know is straight razor and the straight razor with replaceable blades.

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 10:04 AM
A Feather (http://www.classicshaving.com/Feather_Razors.html) is a straight razor with replaceable blades.

Wedge or whatever is simply the shape of the blade when you look at it from the front.

Petz
09-01-09, 10:09 AM
then, no. I have a wedge.

NoRemorse
09-01-09, 10:22 AM
So you can either get a set of stones (at least three and one of them should be a high end Japanese whetstone), send it out for sharpening, or get a Feather.

0331 2 0369
09-01-09, 12:09 PM
vibrates to "stimulate" the hairs.

Have you been in the wifes nightstand again?:D

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 12:31 PM
Man, did this one go off topic, and fast. :D

Petz
09-01-09, 12:42 PM
we specialize in this trash zulu... don't underestimate us.

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 12:47 PM
we specialize in this trash zulu... don't underestimate us.

I help sometimes y'know.

Petz
09-01-09, 12:50 PM
yeah, but I don't think you can be classified as one of the "professionals" :D

Zulu 36
09-01-09, 12:51 PM
yeah, but I don't think you can be classified as one of the "professionals" :D

True. Call me a bench warmer then. :beer:

0231Marine
09-02-09, 07:22 AM
sorry this is so big...

That's what she said?

MicMarine
09-02-09, 07:58 AM

Reread his post,its college he is talking about, Gunny.

MicMarine
09-02-09, 08:04 AM
Son you just got some good sound advice from a Gunnery Sgt of Marines! She knows what she's talking about!

Check your attitude at the sign in page! Remember these two things while you are here: 1) Marines are always right.......and 2) if Marines are wrong, see rule one! But never try to debate or dispute what a Marine says here on this site!

Dave

Don't act hard with a key board, the Gunny was wrong. He is a kid, and your a old man, no need to intimidate him.

And kid, no Marine that has truly been in combat will tell you in an open forum what you think you want to hear. I will tell you stories about my deployments, but never the details of a fire fight, just things like I know how much to pay Rice to eat a bug off the ground.

Petz
09-02-09, 09:27 AM
hey, You don't know Dave, I do. Don't talk **** to him.

He may be old but if it weren't for him and his generation there'd be no Marine Corps for us.

DocGreek
09-02-09, 10:24 AM
DONNY...who did you serve with in Iraq? Were you wounded? Are you an 0311? Still in The Corps? Tough road!...Doc

Quinbo
09-02-09, 11:01 AM
Hi I'm from 3/3/3 company C stationed in Guam and a sea-bee.

Petz
09-02-09, 11:05 AM
say that again bulk?

Quinbo
09-02-09, 11:08 AM
It's rubber baby buggy bumpers then she sells sea shells by the seashore 3 times fast.

MicMarine
09-02-09, 11:27 AM
hey, You don't know Dave, I do. Don't talk **** to him.

He may be old but if it weren't for him and his generation there'd be no Marine Corps for us.

I meant oldER mannot old man, sorry Dave. But I still stick to my guns about intimadating a 16 year old. Especially when the Gunny at question was reading the post wrong, and trying to yell at a kid. I do the same thing when someone picks on a mental challenged person, there is just somethings in life you just don't fvcking do. Think of Honor, Courage, Commitment. Picking on, or intimadating kids is just wrong, when the kid did nothing wrong.

stein07
09-02-09, 04:18 PM
You might want to gather all the facts first, SSgt. Dave does more for these "kids" than anyone around here.

BR34
09-02-09, 04:57 PM
I meant oldER mannot old man, sorry Dave. But I still stick to my guns about intimadating a 16 year old. Especially when the Gunny at question was reading the post wrong, and trying to yell at a kid. I do the same thing when someone picks on a mental challenged person, there is just somethings in life you just don't fvcking do. Think of Honor, Courage, Commitment. Picking on, or intimadating kids is just wrong, when the kid did nothing wrong.

It was just a copy & paste of some of the rules of the site that they agree to when they sign up. I don't think he was trying to intimidate anyone.

GSEMarine94
09-02-09, 06:12 PM
Why is everyone getting their panties all wadded up over a post that is over a year old? By someone who hasn't posted in over 2 months?