PDA

View Full Version : No place like home for GI on 2-week break from Iraq

thedrifter
07-28-08, 08:40 AM
No place like home for GI on 2-week break from Iraq

July 28, 2008
Recommend (1)
BY WILLIAM LEE SouthtownStar

After seven grueling months in Iraq, Marine Sgt. Jeff Kurek can finally take a hot shower with faucet water instead of bottled water.

The 22-year-old Oak Forest native is enjoying home-cooked meals and even fast food instead of the pasty, tasteless packaged ready-made meals he's used to.

And he can rock out at a Dave Matthews Band concert and drive a normal car.

It's the little things that are making this short two-week break from duty so special.

Kurek arrived in Oak Forest on Thursday, his 22nd birthday, and he was greeted like a hero by family, friends and strangers.

Since December, Kurek's unit has been stationed in Iraq's Al Anbar province, serving as a "quick-reaction force," defending other units that come under attack.

While violence in the region has cooled off, Kurek is still very appreciative for waking up in his own bed in the home he has lived at his entire life.

"You don't take things for granted, that's for sure," Kurek said Sunday outside his home.

On this day, he enjoyed a quick dip in his swimming pool with his 3-year-old twin nieces, Ali and Maddy, and playing with his Irish setter, Spencer, while friends and family surrounded him for an intimate homecoming.

"I've always been fascinated with the Marines, they've always stood out compared to the other branches, and I take a great amount of pride in being a Marine."

Sun-Times News Group

Ellie

thedrifter
07-28-08, 08:51 AM
Marine on vacation enjoys family time

July 28, 2008

BY WILLIAM LEE, staff writer

After seven grueling months in Iraq, Marine Sgt. Jeff Kurek can finally take a hot shower with faucet water instead of bottled water.

The 22-year-old Oak Forest native is enjoying homecooked meals and even fast food instead of the pasty, tasteless packaged ready-made meals he's used to.

And he can rock out at a Dave Matthews Band concert and drive a normal car. It's the little things that are making this short two-week break from active duty so special.

Kurek arrived in Oak Forest on Thursday, his 22nd birthday, and he was greeted like a hero by family, friends and strangers.

Since late December, Kurek's unit has been stationed in Iraq's Al Anbar province, serving as a "quick reaction force," defending other units that come under attack.

While violence in the region has recently cooled off considerably, Kurek is still very appreciative for waking up in his own bed in the home he's lived in his entire life.

"You don't take things for granted, that's for sure," Kurek said Sunday outside his home.

On this day, he enjoyed a quick dip in his swimming pool with his 3-year-old twin nieces Ali and Maddy and played with his Irish setter Spencer, while friends and family surrounded him for an intimate homecoming.

The setting for the event is no doubt joyous, though bittersweet. The young infantryman recently re-enlisted and will return to active duty in two weeks. The young father of a 9-month-old son is aiming for a career in the Marines.

Make no mistake, the Oak Forest High School graduate loves being home, but he especially loves being a Marine.

"I've always been fascinated with the Marines; they've always stood out compared to the other branches, and I take a great amount of pride in being a Marine," he said.

His admiration has roots in his teenage years.

"I always saw the Marines as the best branch of military service and as a freshman, at 14 and 15, I wanted to be the best," he said

He enlisted while still in high school and, with his parents' permission, found himself in boot camp at age 18.

His parents, Robert and Joyce, have long known his love for the Marines and remember the conversation they had with their young son.

"He's 17, and he says 'I want to serve my country, I want to serve with the best, I want to be a Marine,' " Robert Kurek remembers. "I look at my wife, and I break down crying, I say how can I argue with that at 17? Kids his age spend four years at college and they still don't know what they want to do," he said.

His parents say they are astonished at his ability to master things he's interested in. In high school, it was golf, where he earned a spot on his school's team despite having no previous experience. In the military, he became an expert marksman with a handgun and rifle, also without any experience.

"He expects very high things for himself, so he will push himself until he achieves those things," Joyce Kurek said.

Kurek is as calm as he is straightforward. He totally understands the danger he faces in Iraq, but balances it with an upbeat, humble attitude. The only thing he seems unable to handle is the gracious thanks he receives from people who want to thank him for his military service.

"It's really awesome. You kind of get goose bumps when you get people thanking you for what you do. I'm kind of at a loss for words, whether to thank them. It's just my job. I just say thank you back most of the time," Kurek said.

At the homecoming, family friend Lynn Williamson just can't keep from gushing over Kurek.

"He's our American hero," she said.

William Lee can be reached at wlee@southtownstar.com or (708) 633-6747.

Ellie