PDA

View Full Version : Shipping on 10-06-08

srinaldo86
07-27-08, 04:18 PM
My question will differ quite a bit from the rest of the Poolees. I'm more interested in post boot camp at the moment.
I understand there is a given 10 days after boot and I had planned to purchase a new motorcycle at that time (nothing fancy or expensive, just transportation.)
Will I even be able to use it once I purchase it or will I have to wait until I'm through MCT and MOS training? Or will I be able to ride it to Lejeune and Missouri when the time comes? (I'm from Raleigh, NC.)
My MOS is 5811 MP.

CplKJSpevak
07-27-08, 05:38 PM
You probably won't be able to bring it with you until you check into the fleet, when your in school status your still a "Student" and you don't have the full privileges yet, but it's for your own good. You will also have to wear an orange roadguard vest while riding, and helmet, because the government is insuring your azz!
You are getting a Harley right??

PTurchan
07-27-08, 05:50 PM
I would wait to purchase it until you are in the fleet but don't buy locally as they salesman love to rip off the military (you'll notice a crap load outside of bases). At A school it was usually only married Marines who had a car and in C school and the fleet anyone could have one.

srinaldo86
07-27-08, 06:55 PM
You probably won't be able to bring it with you until you check into the fleet, when your in school status your still a "Student" and you don't have the full privileges yet, but it's for your own good. You will also have to wear an orange roadguard vest while riding, and helmet, because the government is insuring your azz!
You are getting a Harley right??

I see, so the Corps requires a certain amount of protective attire for Chopper riding Marines? Interesting...

You better believe it, I'm going after a custom Sportster to begin with and will upgrade later.

srinaldo86
07-27-08, 06:57 PM
I would wait to purchase it until you are in the fleet but don't buy locally as they salesman love to rip off the military (you'll notice a crap load outside of bases). At A school it was usually only married Marines who had a car and in C school and the fleet anyone could have one.
Hm ok good to know. Reason I ask is because every Marine I've met out of boot has always needed a ride and I never bothered enough to ask inquire further.

srinaldo86
07-27-08, 07:10 PM
Theres no edit button here, AHH I hate typos.
Well basically the answer to my question is No. Do not get a new motorcycle after boot camp. Correct?

CplKJSpevak
07-27-08, 08:07 PM
Theres no edit button here, AHH I hate typos.
Well basically the answer to my question is No. Do not get a new motorcycle after boot camp. Correct?

Yeah, that's it...You know if you have a new HOG, and can't ride it yet, it will be hell on you..Sportster Custom, nice.. I have a Softail custom '07. Yeah, if you perish in a bike crash while active duty and you don't have all the right stuff on, Your family won't get your servicemans life insurance money. then they'll have to bury you in a pine box:cry:

I would wait until the first duty station to buy it, and don't worry about getting ripped off...If you buy it from a Harley dealer,they all rip you off anyway! no matter what town their in:bunny:

CplKJSpevak
07-27-08, 08:11 PM
One more thing...........So you'll be a 21 year old boot, New in the Marine Corps,New town, with a New HOG?........BE SMART AND BE FVCKING CAREFUL.....Consider this your first order from an NCO :)

srinaldo86
07-28-08, 04:20 PM
Haha, I appreciate the help. I think/hope I got my wild partying days out of the way but we'll see, I'm usually pretty safe however. I'm allergic to pine trees in the shape of boxes so we definitely don't need that happening.

Damn I really wanted to ride home on a new Harley after boot. Oh well, guess I'll have to bum rides too.

srinaldo86
07-28-08, 05:59 PM
If and Poolees are reading this and ship on the same date let me know.
(Paris Island via Raleigh, NC MEPS)

PTurchan
07-28-08, 10:26 PM
The place is called Parris Hilton.

srinaldo86
08-17-08, 09:36 AM
Hate to break the news Cpl. Spevak, but I believe I have to change from a harley to a Suzuki Boulevard M109R (its probably nothing like what you're thinking.)

rvillac2
08-18-08, 04:36 AM
Hate to break the news Cpl. Spevak, but I believe I have to change from a harley to a Suzuki Boulevard M109R (its probably nothing like what you're thinking.)

You do know how much these cost, right? These are only about 60% of the price of a Harley, but still $12,000-$13,000. And did you know that the tires are about $300 a pop? lol.
It's not a starter bike, kid.

srinaldo86
08-18-08, 08:15 AM
You're right Sgt., However I'm not that much of a starter. This wont be my first bike, it will be my third, but it will be my first full time rider. I'll be trading in my truck to buy it and I may even end up buying a used or older model.