PDA

View Full Version : Study: Women more likely to get tattoos removed

thedrifter
07-24-08, 06:51 AM
Study: Women more likely to get tattoos removed
Bill Strande

It may have seemed like the coolest idea in the world at the time, but what happens when you're not so cool with your tattoo anymore?

They can be as simple as a shaded tattoo on a shoulder or as complex as a tattooed torso and the stories that go with them are just as complex and confounding.

"I had a t-shirt that was black and it had magenta stars up the side like that I was like you know this would be the coolest thing to have as a tattoo so I went out and got it," Will Rendall said.

Rendall got it alright, a total of eight stars and a heart, he's had it for years and likes it, but he also likes the idea of being a marine.

"That's where it is," said Rendall, who's having it removed.

He joins a group men and women who thought it was a good idea at the time, but now think otherwise.

"Most people that come in here are between 28 and thirty two and about 70 percent women, about thirty percent men," said Dr. Mike Towey of the Tattoo Removal Shop.

It's that 70 percent of women number that amazed researchers of a new study, the result of which shows that women are now more likely to regret or to be dissatisfied with their tattoo.

For that matter, it also shows that more women are getting tattoos.

At the Tattoo Removal shop in St. Louis Park, the only concern is the removal of the tattoo.

"We shoot the tattoo with a laser and that breaks down the ink into a bunch of little pieces and then your body comes by and eats those little pieces up carries them away," said Dr. Towey.

He says the ink is then dispersed and released through your immune system and is a process that's done in steps.

"Every time I've gotten the procedure done I've gone into the Marine office and they just look at it and say oh wow, it really is going quick," said Rendall, hopeful of his admission into the Marines once the tattoo is removed.

They used to be forever, but aren't anymore.

The cost to have a tattoo removed is considerably more than the cost to get one, anywhere from several hundred dollars to several thousand depending on size, shape and color.

For more information on tattoo removal, click here.

http://www.tat-removal.com/

For more information about the JAMA study, click here.

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/144/7/879

Ellie

By Jeffrey DeMars, KARE 11 News