PDA

View Full Version : Not that good of a swimmer?

LeDave
07-24-08, 02:05 AM
I can swim, but I can't swim that good. and I was wondering what swim training you guys do in boot camp as well as for infantry?

rvillac2
07-24-08, 02:51 AM
We march you off the end of a pier. Those that float are able to graduate.

LeDave
07-24-08, 03:06 AM
so that's it? i just need to learn how to float? because i'm afraid you'll have to do all of this which i'm scared i might not be able to do it and i might sink and die.

Combat Water Survival/Qualification Standards and Test Procedures

The following qualification standards and test procedures are applicable to Marine Corps combat water survival training. All testing procedures for will be accomplished while wearing full combat gear unless otherwise stated. Full combat gear will consist of boots, utilities, helmet, flack jacket, H-harness, cartridge belt, two magazine pouches, two full canteens with covers, rubber rifle, and a standard 40-pound pack, with frame, which has been properly waterproofed. Gas mask, first-aid kit, magazines, sopor mats, and sleeping bags will not be used during testing or training.

Combat Water Survival, Third Class (CWS3)

To qualify Marines as CWS3 involves teaching and testing. Emphasis is on personal survival under combat situations and while on maneuvers. Teaching occurs throughout instruction/evaluation.

Enter shallow water (minimum 1 m) with weapon and wearing full combat gear.

Walk 20 meters in shallow water (minimum 1 m waist deep) with weapon at port arms and wearing full combat gear

Walk 40 meters in chest deep water wearing full gear and weapon (weapon slung around neck) using a modified breaststroke arm movement and modified combat stroke leg movement (bicycle stroke).

Travel for 40 meters in deep water (over the head) with full gear and weapon.

Enter water from height of 5 feet using the modified abandon ship technique, into deep water with full gear and weapon (weapon inverted at sling arms), travel 10 meters, remove pack, and travel 15 meters with pack and weapon.

Jump from minimum height of 8 feet (maximum of 15 feet) using the abandon ship technique wearing utilities and boots only and travel 25 meters using either a beginner swimming stroke (on front or back) or demonstrating a basic knowledge of any survival stroke or combination thereof. This info is available in the USMC PT Guide.

Combat Water Survival, Second Class (CWS2)

Develop skill level to be able to assist a wounded Marine to safety as in a river crossing. Must have completed CWS3.

Uniform will be full combat gear and contents of pack will be waterproofed.

With full combat gear minus pack, swim 50 meters in deep water, with weapon slung across back (muzzle down).

Wearing full combat gear, perform 25 meter collar-tow on passive "victim" similarly dressed, simultaneously towing two packs and two weapons (secured to packs). Packs my be used for floatation devices for "victim".

THAT AINT IT
07-24-08, 10:03 AM
Worry about swim qual when you get to swim qual. The instructors at boot camp arent going to let you drown or die.

PTurchan
07-25-08, 12:41 PM
Well, not anymore... I had an instructor in Pensacola who was at the pool when that happened - said the kid did it to himself. Anyways, all you do is swim across the pool (width, not length) in cammies, no boots I believe. Then you go on top of a high dive, pencil dive in and are told to float for so many minutes. You learn to use your blouse as a flotation device. Real easy stuff, no worries.

silverdollar
07-27-08, 11:37 AM
so that's it? i just need to learn how to float? because i'm afraid you'll have to do all of this which i'm scared i might not be able to do it and i might sink and die.

If you sink and die you will have to do it over and over until you get it right.:scared:

davblay
07-27-08, 11:49 AM

RECRUITS and Marines are not allowed to die without permission! Right now none of the DIs, on either Depot, wants to give that order! So you are ok Poolee!

Dave

Nick Valdez
07-27-08, 05:04 PM
Don't worry about it, what will be will be. The DI will take good care of you. I spent four years in the Corps and could not swim a stroke. Two of those years aboard ship.:)

CplKJSpevak
07-27-08, 05:42 PM
The key is NOT TO PANIC! ..................now Marines, you all know I'm right!

PTurchan
07-27-08, 05:46 PM
I was thinking that earlier... Seems the reason people most people couldn't advance or complete a swim level is because they would panic. Just remember if you start drowning, scratch that, if you stay under water for about 3 seconds they will yank you out.