PDA

View Full Version : Accessing funds after basic?

beebe2141
07-23-08, 07:28 PM
I know that the funds you accrue during basic training is put into a bank account, from what my recruiter told me. So am I able to access them directly after basic, like on my 10 day leave or do I have to wait until another time, like at my permanent station?

Thanks.

CplKJSpevak
07-23-08, 07:35 PM
Things may have changed, But when I went through they gave us hard checks at the end of Boot and through MCT and school...and we signed up for direct deposit at our first duty station...

Pete0331
07-23-08, 07:46 PM
I know that the funds you accrue during basic training is put into a bank account, from what my recruiter told me. So am I able to access them directly after basic, like on my 10 day leave or do I have to wait until another time, like at my permanent station?

Thanks.

You are able to access them during. This is how you pay for hair cuts, uniforms, etc.
Near the end of Boot Camp you are given a stack of checks and an ATM card.

beebe2141
07-23-08, 07:49 PM
Things may have changed, But when I went through they gave us hard checks at the end of Boot and through MCT and school...and we signed up for direct deposit at our first duty station...

I hear you, my dad, who flew for the Navy said he was able to grab it directly after basic as well, be he served during Vietnam so things might be the same, wouldn't see a reason why they wouldn't be, just am unaware.

Thanks for the reply!

UsmcMotorT
07-25-08, 09:22 AM
I went in 2002. We had Ft Sill National Bank aka FSNB (I think they still use them). You can access them via ATM, but the only branches I believe are in OK and some other states.

What I did was transfer from FSNB to Navy Fed. Just have your account number and transfer to Navy Federal or any other bank of your choice.

Petz
07-25-08, 09:50 AM

Thanks.

kid, it's a bank... they give you the bank cards in boot camp... you can access it on family day, I spent close to a grand and wish I had not.

Petz
07-25-08, 09:52 AM
You are able to access them during. This is how you pay for hair cuts, uniforms, etc.
Near the end of Boot Camp you are given a stack of checks and an ATM card.

uh, I did direct deposit the who way, and they deducted the haircuts and items we purchased at the recruit store from our checks.... what I enjoyed was not having to worry about cash at all at the recruit store....

no-one ever got a check when I went to boot camp.

Artemis
07-25-08, 10:52 AM
East Coast is Ft Sill National Bank and West coast is Pacific Marine. You will get a card in boot camp that has $150.00 used for haircuts and trips to the PX when you get to make them. Other than that you do not get your personal checks and ATM/debit card until right before family day. I don't know if it has changed much but that is how it was a few years ago.

Banshee
07-25-08, 02:06 PM
what about those of us who have other bills that need to be paid outside of the Corps, will we have access to our accounts to pay them during Boot, or do we need to set something up with family to have them take care of your finances until you graduate?

joecoul89
07-25-08, 02:11 PM
I don't know about all bills but I know for things like cell phones and car insurrance, you can talk to the company and they will not charge you while you are gone. I have Verizon for my cell phone...

DGardner
07-25-08, 02:28 PM
what about those of us who have other bills that need to be paid outside of the Corps, will we have access to our accounts to pay them during Boot, or do we need to set something up with family to have them take care of your finances until you graduate?

If I were you I'd set something up with family. No point if just hoping it will all work out. better to plan ahead and have it all set up.

ZSKI
07-25-08, 02:42 PM
I will tell you straight if you have FSNB get rid of that **** asap they tried to steal 400 bucks from me and im not a fluke i heard atleast 20 marines that had money go missing. I aperently had an atm withdraw for 400 at Ft leonardwood but i was already gone for a week.

Artemis
07-25-08, 05:36 PM
As for the other bills that you have you need to plan ahead for that now. You will not have the access or means to pay them while you are in Boot. If you need to set up a POA and have someone you trust pay them for you.

As for the comment about FSNB there is a reason people call it Fort Steal, they will rob you blind and not care. I suggest switching to Navy Fed on Family day. There is one on the Depot and it does not take that long to get all your stuff straightened out with them.

Zulu 36
07-25-08, 07:44 PM
Hmmmm. I'm gonna have to guess that most of you boots do not know the procedure for "reporting for pay call."

We got paid in cash twice during boot camp, once for $10 and the second for $25. At the end of boot camp we received the balance in cash. Of course I was only making $143/month then. My father thought I was overpaid (he made $20-something during WWII).

In the fleet I got paid by check, except in Vietnam when we were paid in cash (MPC - military payment certificates - funny money, no US cash).

I notice that privates make much, much more per month now than I did as a sergeant over six. They're overpaid :marine:

Achped
07-25-08, 08:22 PM
I will tell you straight if you have FSNB get rid of that **** asap they tried to steal 400 bucks from me and im not a fluke i heard atleast 20 marines that had money go missing. I aperently had an atm withdraw for 400 at Ft leonardwood but i was already gone for a week.
It was incredible, I was getting like 500, 550 a paycheck with FSNB, I switched to MarineFed and immediately bumped up to like 625....what the freak? Not to mention I can check my bank account online and...get this....theyre actually friendly!

Petz
07-27-08, 01:04 PM
Hmmmm. I'm gonna have to guess that most of you boots do not know the procedure for "reporting for pay call."

We got paid in cash twice during boot camp, once for $10 and the second for $25. At the end of boot camp we received the balance in cash. Of course I was only making $143/month then. My father thought I was overpaid (he made $20-something during WWII).

In the fleet I got paid by check, except in Vietnam when we were paid in cash (MPC - military payment certificates - funny money, no US cash).

I notice that privates make much, much more per month now than I did as a sergeant over six. They're overpaid :marine:

inflation is a *****. if you were getting paid 148 in 1970 that is equivalent to about 850 dollars in 07.

for fun you can see if you really made more than your dad did by going here.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Petz
07-27-08, 01:07 PM

we had a recruit that was the sole provider for his family and had to relatives, they took him every friday to go take care of his bills in the series gunnys office.

just talk to your recruiter so it can be put in your record and the DI's will know about it.... if they don't approach you then you'll have to tell them when you get there.

Zulu 36
07-27-08, 03:51 PM
Well, I'm just kidding about the overpaid part. God knows military people don't get paid enough for the sh*t that has to be put up with, especially in a combat zone.

But, strictly for fun argument sake among friends, the inflation calculator shows that privates are indeed overpaid now AND when I was in. However, we must assume first that $23/month was "fair payment" for a private in 1943. It wasn't, but we're just having a little economic "what-if-then."

We could argue until the cows come home what true "fair payment" to a private is and never reach a conclusion. Sadly too, those decisions are above our pay grades since we'd have a better chance of agreement than those morons in Congress.

Petz
07-27-08, 10:13 PM
honestly, since they promote from TIS until you reach LCpl it's more of a pay grow-in period. I think Lances get a decent pay, but the NCO's need better pay, as do the junior Staff.