PDA

View Full Version : Qs Regarding enlistment after surgery

iluvatar010
07-23-08, 09:02 AM
I did use the search feature and found a thread or two but I'd like some more feedback. I know the rules say theres no medical personnel here but here I go.

I'm a 18 year old permanent resident and was planning to join the Marines by the end of this past June, I've been talking with the recruiter since March. Everything changed since back on May 21st I had an injury and broke my wrist (left distal radius), had surgery on June 5th. The doc put a plate, 3 pins and 3 screws inside, they're supposed to stay there forever. The doc has been saying I''m healing fine, I go to therapy twice a week. Supposedly in a few months I should be fine...

Heres to show the pins and stuff from an Xray I had the day of the surgery (a pic says more than a 1000 words)
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1710/picturelb8.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7026/picture001ra7.jpg

I want to join the Marine Corps Reserve and do the 92 day reserve program since I'm a college student (2 semesters done and about 25+ credits).

*Would it be hard to get a waiver for the medical stuff??
*Would I be Disqualified right away??
*is there a certain waiting period that needs to pass between surgery and enlisting?
*Could anyone who has been in a similar situation (enlisting with pins and screws) share their story?

I've been getting back into the running again, my 3 miles is about 23:30, the sit ups/crounches are average I guess, as of right now 0 pull ups and push ups but supposedly in ~4 weeks I could start doing those again. My PT was pretty decent before the injury, I maxed out at 22 pull ups once or twice, If I was fresh I could get to 20 pull ups in my first set with the palms facing me (although felt kinda smoked for a lil bit after hitting 20), maxed out at 50+ push ups.

My recruiter is saying I should sign up around November or so, I'd like to do that. Or if i don't feel fully healed then wait up a lil more.

sparkie
07-23-08, 02:05 PM
http://eatourbrains.com/EoB/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/nohead.jpg

iluvatar010
07-23-08, 03:51 PM
I've seen that one before in some other thread :confused:

btw I was released by the doctor today, no more follow ups. Just about another 3 weeks of therapy.

sparkie
07-23-08, 07:13 PM
That graffic is my little way of saying you need to not ask qoestions us poor dumb Marines can't answer. Go to the educated sources, Your Recruiter, Your Doctor, Your Guru, Your village Shaman. Overcome, Figure it out. Not all of us have had your experiences.

How long would it take for a one leggid monkey to kick all the seeds out of a watermelon? Gee,,,, I Dunn no.

Marine84
07-23-08, 08:24 PM
How long would it take for a one leggid monkey to kick all the seeds out of a watermelon?

You owe me another beer dude!

iluvatar010
07-23-08, 11:14 PM
That graffic is my little way of saying you need to not ask qoestions us poor dumb Marines can't answer. Go to the educated sources, Your Recruiter, Your Doctor, Your Guru, Your village Shaman. Overcome, Figure it out. Not all of us have had your experiences.

How long would it take for a one leggid monkey to kick all the seeds out of a watermelon? Gee,,,, I Dunn no.

Will do.

Thanks anyway.