PDA

View Full Version : Husband is getting out...

LVMY0311
07-19-08, 10:59 PM
My husband comes home on terminal leave on Thursday (July 24) and officially gets out August 30. Just like with every other obstacle we face while associated with the USMC (deployments, training, moving), I need some advice on how to handle this situation. I know there are a lot of Marines here who are done serving their time, and I was wondering if there may be some advice for me or my husband that may help with the transition?

Thank you in advance :)

egbutler1
07-19-08, 11:09 PM
The number one thing that I would suggest he do after he gets out is go to the VA and get into the system as quick as possible. He may not have any problems as of right now (but since he is a Marine i know he has injuries) he might in sometime soon. He has 5 years of free medical threw the VA and if he has any problems that incurred do to service he should seek compensation for those problems. They will explain how to do that at the VA. I don't know his MOS but if he was in the infantry and deployed to Iraq or Afgan or even if he wasn't in the infantry but has a campaign medal for one of those combat theaters he should get into the VA even faster. I have seen many of my Marines not take my advice with the VA and have problems but they just don't want to seek "help". Second tell him to disclose everything on his final physical even a cut he has, although he probably already did his physical don't let him leave with out disclosing everything. It all needs to be in your medical record. I was so eager to get out i said nothing was wrong with me when i got out and there was lots wrong with me and now its a battle for me to tell the VA these things happened in service. Sometimes they won't release you from Active Duty if you have big problems but thats rare. I know he wants to get the hell out of there just like i did but it will help you out in the long run if you let your command and your BAS doc know whats up with you. Well thats it for now, i'm happy for you to have your Marine back.

LVMY0311
07-19-08, 11:20 PM
My husband had to go the the VA while in seps and taps classes, so I know he has that squared away... or at least that's what he says. His MOS is 0311 and he carried a SAW. I know he filed a couple of claims (feet **broke both of them in his time served**, his knees, his back, and head). He has been in 4 IED blasts, and has had some memory loss, so they are sending him for a CATSCAN. He said he has to apply for medical after he gets out, and will probably only get 90 days... unless of course he gets 30% disability, then that is free medical for life (what we're told). Also, 40% you're kids go to college for free... right? (also something we were told).

I'm really proud of him for actually telling them what was wrong and not just acting like he was fine. :)

egbutler1
07-19-08, 11:36 PM
Thats good to go. He has free medical (not dental) for 5 years for free at the VA. That's about the one thing President Bush got right. Yeah I was an 0311 and was in my share of IED's in ICrap and suffered some major memory problems, he can get a free PDA from the VA when he goes in for his TBI screening. I am rated 50% for just PTSD and that is getting re-rated probably to 70%. As for the whole 30% free medical I think thats only for what your rated for I'm not to sure, i'm no VA employee so I cant tell ya all about that. But they will. Yeah if you notice any problems you linked to PTSD (http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ncmain/index.jsp) with him you should encourage have him see the mental health doc at the VA, He should probably do that anyways, that was one of the hardest things i had to do but now i'm on some good med/s and feeling pretty good most days. Well ooh-rah!!

LVMY0311
07-20-08, 12:03 AM
HA HA! well I think all the guys coming back from Iraq have to have some kind of PTSD... I tell my husband all the time... You're not crazy if you're affected by the things you saw and did, you're only human if it does... you should be worried when it doesn't affect you, then you've probably crossed the like into crazy. ha ha! so he knows that if he talks to me or anyone else about issues he may have... no one thinks he's crazy. So yes... I do encourage him to talk to people about it.

HAVING PTSD DOES NOT MEAN YOU'RE CRAZY! I hate that stigma...

egbutler1
07-20-08, 12:11 AM
HAVING PTSD DOES NOT MEAN YOU'RE CRAZY! I hate that stigma...

AMEN!

Quinbo
07-20-08, 09:25 AM
Absolutely without a doubt he should go to the employment office and apply for unemployment benefits. TODAY ( well tomarrow since its Sunday ) . Look into using the GI bill and continue to march.

Having walked that path I can say Marines who just got out need a job to keep their lives running on a even keel. Most do not require a supervisor ... show me how its done then get out of the way. Most will show up 15 minutes early and do more than asked on a daily basis. I'm telling you from experience I would take a squad of Marines in the general work force over anyone else jobwise.

Tell him to start knocking doors now and a job will turn up right away.

jrhd97
07-20-08, 09:54 AM
Bear with him through his restlessness and uncertainty of moving to civilian life. The change can be a little overwhelming.

davblay
07-20-08, 11:08 AM
Every Veteran has the right to be treated at the VA, for any reason, for life! The 30% is the step into the 2nd category of veterans and you get a little more priority when dealing with VA. I have...

LVMY0311
07-21-08, 12:37 PM
Well thank you to everyone for you advise..

We already have a security job lined up for him, and his new boss wants to make him an armed guard... so that's good.

Can you have unemployment checks while working at a new job? I know that is a stupid question... but I mean... if he has a job lined up he doesn't need the unemployment checks... right? Or would you suggest that he take a break for a couple of months, draw unemployment, and then get a job? How much is the unemployment check?

What is ChampVA? I don't know much about the VA, just what I've heard from my husband, and what they have told him during his separation. If you have PTSD, what percent disability do you get? Do they offer free counseling after the USMC for it?

Big Jim
07-21-08, 12:40 PM
Well thank you to everyone for you advise..

We already have a security job lined up for him, and his new boss wants to make him an armed guard... so that's good.

Can you have unemployment checks while working at a new job? I know that is a stupid question... but I mean... if he has a job lined up he doesn't need the unemployment checks... right? Or would you suggest that he take a break for a couple of months, draw unemployment, and then get a job? How much is the unemployment check?

What is ChampVA? I don't know much about the VA, just what I've heard from my husband, and what they have told him during his separation. If you have PTSD, what percent disability do you get? Do they offer free counseling after the USMC for it?

ALL VERY GOOD QUESTIONS FOR THE VA REP. WHEN HE GETS CALLED IN FOR HIS INITIAL ASSESSMENT...THEY'LL GO THROUGH ALL OF IT LILANI...HUGS AND ALL MY SUPPORT!!!

temarti
07-21-08, 12:59 PM
I see that there is going to be a changing of guard in the future for your family. In another post it seems that you are enlisting. It is good that he has already lined up a job as a security guard. Has he considered Loss Prevention with a major retailer. Since there will more than likely be more moves in the furture he could continue a career path since most of the majors are around Bases... just a thought..

LVMY0311
07-21-08, 07:42 PM
temarti... that's a great suggestion! Thank you!

And yes... I am enlisting. I'll be leaving sometime in Oct.

temarti
07-22-08, 07:52 AM
I left a PM on helping out with some contacts within the industry