View Full Version : Brawling for the Warriors

thedrifter
07-18-08, 06:19 AM
Brawling for the Warriors
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
July 17, 2008 - 11:24PM
MOLLY DEWITT
DAILY NEWS STAFF

What do you get when you combine a mixed martial arts event featuring fighters from the Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Extreme Cage fighting with a nonprofit organization whose goal is to help wounded warriors?

Brawl at the Beach, East vs. West.

At 6 p.m. today, doors will open at the Goettge Memorial Field House aboard Camp Lejeune for the competition, with fights beginning at 7 p.m.

The 20 fights scheduled for the evening feature fighters Justin Moore, Thomas Schultz, Cody ‘Ox' Wheeler, Jan Finney, Suzy Smith and Camp Lejeune's own John Weir and Robert Vasquez. Twelve professional and eight amateur fights are scheduled.

"Nobody puts 20 fights on, it's ridiculous," said Edward Holman, president and owner of Brawl at the Beach. "This is the first one in North Carolina, but it won't be the last."

MMA fighters Rich Franklin and Jorge Gurgel with American Fighter will be at the event to meet and greet fans. The mixed martial arts reality TV series "Tapout" will be filming the event for its series on Versus.

Holman's purpose behind putting together the event is to fundraise and provide support for the Hope For The Warriors' Hope and Care Center project, he said.

Hope For The Warriors is in the process of fundraising to build The Warrior Hope and Care Center, a 60,000 or more square-foot complex centrally located between the new wounded warrior barracks and The Fisher House aboard Camp Lejeune.

"The Warrior Hope and Care Center will be a center that centralizes all the care and therapy needs we see in North Carolina," said Amy Koury, marketing director for Hope For The Warriors.

The center will offer services such as neurological, physical, aquatic, cognitive and occupational therapy; family resources; and support group meetings. The complex is estimated to cost $20 million.

That's where Holman steps in.

"When I met with Hope For The Warriors, the only way I know how to raise $20 million quickly is through entertainment," he said. "People want to donate money, they just don't know about this. My bright idea is, let's put MMA out there, let's show Rick Franklin and ‘Tapout.'"

One hundred percent of ticket sales are going to Hope For The Warriors, and $5 from every shirt sold by American Fighter at the event will be donated to the organization, Holman said.

Hope For The Warriors is hoping each event Holman puts on will raise $250,000, Koury said.

"We are excited about the Brawl at the Beach because Hope For The Warriors has never had a fundraising event such as this," she said.

The cause is close to Holman's heart, he said.

"I'm a 100 percent service connected veteran myself. The VA can't help all these guys coming from Iraq and Afghanistan," Holman said. "There's not enough people to push the paperwork to get these people the wheelchair ramps they need or the prosthetic limbs quick enough."

He said when he was injured while serving he didn't feel like he was being a good father to his son and was depressed.

"If I can stop some service member from being depressed as bad as I was then that's what we're about," Holman said.

Not only do the wounded service members suffer, he said.

"It's hard to take care of a wounded service member...it's hard on the spouse," he said. "We jut want to help not only the service member that's injured but the spouse that has to put up with everything that comes with it," Holman said. "We're going to help one service member's family at a time and were going to do what we can do."

Showing Marines and wounded warriors that the public supports them is also part of an event like this.

"Aside from bringing awareness and advocacy to the rest of America...it's more important for these guys to see that there are organizations out there that support them and want to do these types of things for them," Koury said.

There are plans to put together several more events to benefit Hope For The Warriors in the near future, Holman said.

"Every six to eight weeks we want to make sure we're putting money in Hope For the Warriors' pocket," he said. "Hope For The Warriors became proactive to help these wounded soldiers, and they need people to back them up."

He's already got another event planned for Aug. 30.

"Hope For The Warriors is a limited nonprofit," he said. "You can't limit me - I'm like a shovel to the face."

The event is open to the public. Those without base access must obtain a base pass from the main gate; however, no sponsor is required.

General admission tickets are $35, premiere seating is $45 and VIP seating is $65.

Tickets are available at the Tickets and Tours Offices aboard Camp Lejeune and New River Air Station, Britt Motor Sports, Hooligans, Zip Express and Sharp Shooters. Tickets will also be available at the door. Cash will be the only method of payment accepted at the door.

Food and beverages will be available for purchase.

"We just want to offer a good event and take those proceeds and put them in a good place," Holman said. "It's Marines helping Marines."

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow government reporter Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8457, or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie