PDA

View Full Version : Quick DEP question

Travis89
07-17-08, 04:59 PM
Well i've gotten my weight down and I'm goin up to MEPS sunday to DEP in. I was told to pick 3 job feilds, if the one I want is not available will I be able to change it in october or does it get locked in at MEPs? I don't want to spend 4 years doing something I dont want to do.

MLMonk
07-17-08, 05:11 PM
I would honestly wait until you get the job you want. I didn't, and I regret it nearly everyday, I also signed as reservist so that kind of adds to me not liking it.

Travis89
07-17-08, 05:39 PM
So if they don't offer me the feild I want what do I do? Just wait untill October when the new jobs open up?

Adikt916
07-17-08, 05:49 PM
You don't pick your MOS at MEPs you do that with your recruiter and he faxes it to them.

If you want to get the field you want go to MEPs and set up a ship date after October, thats when the new fiscal year starts, and thats when you'll be able to pick the MOS you want most likely.

slimmy07
07-17-08, 05:50 PM
Kid, GO DEP. Once your in the DEP your job can be changed. Its not set in stone till you leave for boot camp. If you do not DEP and decide to wait till your job becomes available, you still might not get it because jobs are first come first serve.

Travis89
07-17-08, 06:58 PM
Aye sir! and thank you all for the help. Hopefully Monday my status will be changed to Poolee!

Marine84
07-17-08, 07:47 PM
I would honestly wait until you get the job you want. I didn't, and I regret it nearly everyday, I also signed as reservist so that kind of adds to me not liking it.

Yeah that one weekend a month, 2 weeks out of the year is going to be tuff on you.

MLMonk
07-17-08, 08:19 PM
Yeah that one weekend a month, 2 weeks out of the year is going to be tuff on you.

Yea thats the problem, I am not working full time so I would hate it.

Adikt916
07-17-08, 09:36 PM

LOL

CarolinaMarine
07-17-08, 09:43 PM
Kid, GO DEP. Once your in the DEP your job can be changed. Its not set in stone till you leave for boot camp. If you do not DEP and decide to wait till your job becomes available, you still might not get it because jobs are first come first serve.

And even then you never know. I know some guys that went in thinking they got one job, and at MCT...nope, switched to something else.

slimmy07
07-18-08, 12:59 PM
And even then you never know. I know some guys that went in thinking they got one job, and at MCT...nope, switched to something else.

Then thats the individual Marines problem. He/she should have stood up for themselves. The SOU (statement of understanding) that you sign CLEARLY states that neither the Marine Corps nor the applicant can change this (MOS) without WRITTEN consent from BOTH parties. Those Marines should have said something. The Marine Coprs cant just cahnge your job. As a Rexervist though, you will have a GUARNTEED MOS right down to the number (for example 0331,etc.). Dont sweat going in as a reservist, I have worked with plenty of reservists when I was on I & I duty and they are GOOD TO GO. I actually think some of the reservists are more squared away than some of the Active duty Marines. The one weekend a month training is intense, most Marines will talk Sh*t about reservists because they do not know anything other than its one weekend a month. I used to think the same thing til I went on I&I duty. 2 reserve Marines in that unit were awarded the Bronze Star with valor for their actions in Iraq (look up how many enlisted Marines have earned those and its not many). Bottom line kid, is a Marine regardless if your a reserveist or active duty still has to go through the same boot camp and has to go to the same MOS schools. Your still a Marine.

Danman
07-18-08, 01:30 PM
Ill give you a tip... you can play with the Recruiter a bit.. tell him that you woulnt sign untill you get the field you want... when you say that youl be surprised what can happen...but more jobs open up in sept-october so see what you can do.

slimmy07
07-18-08, 01:37 PM
Ill give you a tip... you can play with the Recruiter a bit.. tell him that you woulnt sign untill you get the field you want... when you say that youl be surprised what can happen...but more jobs open up in sept-october so see what you can do.

Devil Dog, do you think recruiters just sit there and hold onto jobs??? NO! Why would we??? A kiid has to go through MEPS firts and be found Mentaly, physicaly and moraly qualified first before any GUARNTEED job is given out. You usually pick your job after you DEP and are back at the office.

Danman
07-18-08, 02:53 PM
Sorry Sgt I didnt mean it the way you think. I know that fields get closed out. and that Recruiters dont hold onto jobs. I meant that soem times to get that that kid what he wants and to be happy. you can try pushing it up the chain and seeing what they can do about it. we all know Recruiters want the best for any Poolee they put in and to make sure they are happy.

slimmy07
07-18-08, 02:58 PM
Sorry Sgt I didnt mean it the way you think. I know that fields get closed out. and that Recruiters dont hold onto jobs. I meant that soem times to get that that kid what he wants and to be happy. you can try pushing it up the chain and seeing what they can do about it. we all know Recruiters want the best for any Poolee they put in and to make sure they are happy.

This is true. This Marine just gave some GOOD advice. Push it up the chain. If the recruiter is telling you its not available, go to his NCOIC. Tell him what you want as far as jobs and let him see what he can do. Good Advice Marine! I didnt think of that.

CplKJSpevak
07-18-08, 05:36 PM
This is true. This Marine just gave some GOOD advice. Push it up the chain. If the recruiter is telling you its not available, go to his NCOIC. Tell him what you want as far as jobs and let him see what he can do. Good Advice Marine! I didnt think of that.

Sgt. I know you did recruiting duty, I am curious......Did you have alot of kids do things like, refuse to sign until they had the MOS they wanted in writing? The reason I ask is, I thought the Army was the branch for all the guarantees and promises, and the Marines were, well......The Marines! That was goal. Maybe it's different now because we are at war.....Just curious,

slimmy07
07-21-08, 11:15 AM
Sgt. I know you did recruiting duty, I am curious......Did you have alot of kids do things like, refuse to sign until they had the MOS they wanted in writing? The reason I ask is, I thought the Army was the branch for all the guarantees and promises, and the Marines were, well......The Marines! That was goal. Maybe it's different now because we are at war.....Just curious,

NO, But I have lost some individuals because of bonuses though. I never had a problem with a kid joining the DEP because of a job. I was usually on top of it when it came to jobs. I would go over the job list with the kid right when we got back from MEPS and help him/her choose one right there. I even remember times when a kid wanted UH (infantry), I would send him with the guarnteed job form to MEPS already so right when he was done swearing in he could lock on his job right on the spot because UH jobs close fast. I felt it was important to get the kid his/her job ASAP and also try and get them one of their top 3 choices because if you take care of them, they will take care of you.
My working knowledge of the Army is "MOST" were professional, but you always have some bad seeds. I do know that they tell an individual that is not sure that they want to join, to go take the physical just to see if they are qualified, then after they are found qualified, they have soilders at MEPS who try and get you to sign even though you had no intention of doing so. I put in 3 or 4 kids who all told me that same story and said that because the Army did that, it scared them away.

CplKJSpevak
07-21-08, 02:46 PM
Thank you for your reply, You bring alot of good Knowledge to these forums.