PDA

View Full Version : Is the Marines right for me.

Unforgottenalwa
07-15-08, 10:51 AM
Why dose my recruiter never agree with what I want too do in the Marines? First I was thinking about going through the Navy so I could become a Medic for the Marines, but he was like no that’s not a good idea. Then I said my 2nd option would try to become an MP, although he said if you want to go into law enforcement after the Marines, that’s not a good idea, because you’ll have to break old habits. So I was like ok, well what’s a good option, and all he ever talks about is Infantry. They must be really stressed for Infantry or something. The only reason I’m joining the Marines is to escape my life, so what ever, I guess I can’t get what I want out of the Marines, they choose for me, witch is what people have always told me. I would go into the Army, but they never called me when I contacted them and the Marines have a way of always calling you, I mean Sgt Deleo is even starting a PT on the coast for the people that want to join and get into shape before you go! so the Marines fight for you to Join, then they kick your ass. so it's a Win/Win in my eyes, I've never had a father just Father figures. I've had Peace man To Marine, and I want to please both, so I said, Join the Armed forces to make me a better Man! When it comes to killing aspect, well I'll be honest, joining the Armed forces to kill is stupid to me, because to let live is the ultimate goal to life. Now I'm not talking about in combat that's different of course your going to fight, but to join to kill, doesn't make any since. Marines are famous for there training to turn you into a killer, well that's not true, because if they wanted to train you to kill, you would be killing 24/7 and wouldn't have a family, they teach you to control you're wisdom in arms, so when you are faced with a conflict you will react without thought, and hit your target. Boot was changed after WW2 when a man wrote a book about the Avg Marine, he was trained to kill the Japanese during the Island Hopping. Well it was found, that the average Marine would not fire to kill instead fire in the direction but not look at what he was firing at. So they changed the vocabulary to enemy, and had pop-up targets to make the Marine a Lean, Mean, Killing Machine, but what do I know, I'm an idiot, on leatherneck forums trying to ask you all, if the Marines is right for me. It's like I HAVE TO JOIN!! It drives me crazy, if I don't dose that mean I'm a loser, I'll be nothing in life, people will be like were you in the Armed forces, and I'll say no, and they'll respond pussy. I just want to change something, I just want to be someone, I don't want to kill, but join a Branch that kills, dose that make any since to anyone? I mean do any of you Marine have friends that are helping people in Africa, and maybe you don't see them as pussy's but as a Man? I have an ego failure right now, I can't help it... I just don't want to be looked down upon anymore.

slimmy07
07-15-08, 11:09 AM
First off kid, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO INFANTRY. Infantry jobs are always the first to go. Your recruiter obviously does not want you to join the Nvay because he will lose a number. As far as being an MP, what old habits??? Thats old school way of thinking. You go through another police academy when you get hired with whatever department after you get out. You Fire a pistol as an MP, you fire a pistol as a cop. You arrest people as an MP, you arrest people as a Cop. You cite people as an MP, you cite people as a cop. Get my drift? Look kid, if your heart is set on being a Medic, then the Marine Corps is NOT for you. If you want to be a MArine, then your in the right place. I dont know your situation, Like if you have a criminal back ground or drug history etc.etc., but if not then you can CHOOSE what you are qualified for based on what is open. The MArine Corps does NOT choose for you, thats OLD school way of thinking. That was Vietnam (no offense to the vets). This is now an ALL volunteer force, and by being an all volunteer force you need to give people enlisting options.

THAT AINT IT
07-15-08, 11:10 AM
First off, I hate it when people think all Marines know how to do is kill. Yeah thats a big part of our training but that is not all they teach us a boot camp. Second, i dont know why you would let your recruiter tell you that the things you want to do are wrong. My recruiter was motor t and when I first started going to see him he pushed motor t on me so maybe your recruiter's MOS is infantry. You dont have to join the Marine Corps to be someone.

Unforgottenalwa
07-15-08, 11:17 AM
I don't know what old habit's he was talking about, just said Skylar listen closely, an MP is not a good job if you want to be a police officer after the Marines. That doesn't seem right to me, because sure it's different, but it's also exactly the same.

Chumley
07-15-08, 11:19 AM
Unforgottenalwa,

I had a tough time following your rant....you have a lot on your mind. Marines are patriots. However, you do not have to be a Marine to be patriotic, strong, proud, a good man, a good citizen, a hard worker, etc., etc., etc. Just because you put a uniform on doesn't mean you're not gonna get your azz kicked. You can successful or not in life...it's your choice. You can get knocked down and not get back up, or you can get up anyways. Entering the Marine Corps or any other branch of service is one way to pass through this life. You must choose how you want to live your life and then follow through.

Based upon your topic, you seem a bit overwhelmed about it all....happens to most of us at your age. Develop yourself into the character you want to be, and it will take all of your life to accomplish that, and it will change and evolve as you go.

The examples you used are irrevalent. If you think that all Marines are killers, you need to study more thoroughly. Marines do a job like everyone else...some days are better than others. If you want to look into a career, sit down with a recruiter and discuss some options...seems to me that you are frequenting Leatherneck.com for SOME reason???? If you are unsure that you would want to become a Marine, then don't. You many not ever be a Marine, but you can be a smart, strong man if that's what you make of yourself.

I do suggest that before you throw out some weak examples of what you think you've read about Marines and how they performed in battle, you should get more than one opinion and fact check your details. You have loosely listed examples that are only partially accurate and when taken out of context become mildly insulting.

There is a ton of solid knowledge about the Marine Corps on this website and on the internet in general. If you aren't happy with what the recruiter told you, do your own research on it and maybe talk to another recruiter. If you want something badly, you can get it.

Your future is yours to define... thanks only to American Veterans and Marines. You're only a wuss if you let yourself be one.

Good luck!
C

Unforgottenalwa
07-15-08, 11:27 AM
You guys must of got off wrong, I was trying to break the old connections of things I've heard about Marines "Marines are famous for there training to turn you into a killer, well that's not true," I was agreeing with you all, and saying no Marines are not blood thirsty killers. Yes I fully understand, you can't know anything about the subject unless you are the subject. You're right I do have a lot on my mind, he wants me to join bad, but I don't know if I'm mentally fit.

slimmy07
07-15-08, 11:31 AM
You guys must of got off wrong, I was trying to break the old connections of things I've heard about Marines "Marines are famous for there training to turn you into a killer, well that's not true," I was agreeing with you all, and saying no Marines are not blood thirsty killers. Yes I fully understand, you can't know anything about the subject unless you are the subject. You're right I do have a lot on my mind, he wants me to join bad, but I don't know if I'm mentally fit.

I understood this from your post kid. read what I said(wrote). Its up a few.

JordanB
07-15-08, 11:39 AM
Someone very wise once told me that once a Marine always a Marine, but before any of us are Marines we are men. The Corps aint for everyone, but just because you may not be ment for it dosent mean you are any lesser of a man. And if you do decide to earn the title then dont forget that it alone wont make you good in life, what we do constently is what defines who we are.

Chumley
07-15-08, 12:15 PM

Follow your Bruce Lee quote (it's one of my favorites)...there is deep insight...much more than fighting philosophy... Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water. Water can flow or it can crash...be water my friend."

There's no reason to allow yourself to be pressured. Take it as it comes to you and create your own terms. If you aren't feeling mentally well, take time for yourself and address it. Send me a PM if you'd like! C

darkgreen0311
07-15-08, 12:33 PM
Whew!!! We can't answer if the Marines are for you. That's something you have to ask yourself.

:marine:Semper Fi 4 Life
Give me liberty if i can't get it i'll get up and get it myself

Sally
07-15-08, 01:26 PM
Most of us don't get to kill. I agree with darkgreen here, you'll have to ask yourself. It's a big decision, make it wise.

Marine84
07-18-08, 09:10 PM
What makes you think you're not mentally fit? Or is that just your way of justifying that you may just be scared to go Corps? If we WOMEN can do it, why wouldn't you be able to?

Fubar5812
07-18-08, 09:33 PM
hey whoa now! your recruiter is wrong.

im at MP school right now and i'll tell ya if anything being an MP enhances your abilities as a civilian cop i would think.you'll learn alot of advanced hand too hand (MP's have too be versatile,we deal with everything from misdimeanors too felonies and everything in between) MP school is VERY hard,we've dropped dozens so far and where not even that far in training.you must be in good physical condition and able too keep your cool.

as for whether the marines is right for you? that is a question only you can anwser.i will say this,if you so desperatly want too help and feel you are doing something with your life,and want too be part of a brotherhood thats like a 2nd family and always looks out for you,while giving you immense pride..then the Marines is a good choice for you.

egbutler1
07-18-08, 10:32 PM
Why dose my recruiter never agree with what I want too do in the Marines? First I was thinking about going through the Navy so I could become a Medic for the Marines, but he was like no that’s not a good idea. Then I said my 2nd option would try to become an MP, although he said if you want to go into law enforcement after the Marines, that’s not a good idea, because you’ll have to break old habits. So I was like ok, well what’s a good option, and all he ever talks about is Infantry. They must be really stressed for Infantry or something. The only reason I’m joining the Marines is to escape my life, so what ever, I guess I can’t get what I want out of the Marines, they choose for me, witch is what people have always told me. I would go into the Army, but they never called me when I contacted them and the Marines have a way of always calling you, I mean Sgt Deleo is even starting a PT on the coast for the people that want to join and get into shape before you go! so the Marines fight for you to Join, then they kick your ass. so it's a Win/Win in my eyes, I've never had a father just Father figures. I've had Peace man To Marine, and I want to please both, so I said, Join the Armed forces to make me a better Man! When it comes to killing aspect, well I'll be honest, joining the Armed forces to kill is stupid to me, because to let live is the ultimate goal to life. Now I'm not talking about in combat that's different of course your going to fight, but to join to kill, doesn't make any since. Marines are famous for there training to turn you into a killer, well that's not true, because if they wanted to train you to kill, you would be killing 24/7 and wouldn't have a family, they teach you to control you're wisdom in arms, so when you are faced with a conflict you will react without thought, and hit your target. Boot was changed after WW2 when a man wrote a book about the Avg Marine, he was trained to kill the Japanese during the Island Hopping. Well it was found, that the average Marine would not fire to kill instead fire in the direction but not look at what he was firing at. So they changed the vocabulary to enemy, and had pop-up targets to make the Marine a Lean, Mean, Killing Machine, but what do I know, I'm an idiot, on leatherneck forums trying to ask you all, if the Marines is right for me. It's like I HAVE TO JOIN!! It drives me crazy, if I don't dose that mean I'm a loser, I'll be nothing in life, people will be like were you in the Armed forces, and I'll say no, and they'll respond pussy. I just want to change something, I just want to be someone, I don't want to kill, but join a Branch that kills, dose that make any since to anyone? I mean do any of you Marine have friends that are helping people in Africa, and maybe you don't see them as pussy's but as a Man? I have an ego failure right now, I can't help it... I just don't want to be looked down upon anymore.

Marines are not dumb killing machines. The Marine grunt is smart taught to deal with a situation as it presents itself in the correct manner. As for your recruiter telling you only to go infantry well whatever, you can go do whatever you want, just be firm. You want this MOS or you won't join, the Marines are the only branch that will give you your job (MOS) down on paper black and white. Most of the other services give you a wish list and they pick your MOS based on the needs of that service. If the Marines don't have any openings for that MOS at that time the will not BS you and send you to meps and you will get out of meps becoming a cook or something. That is unless your retarded and don't read what your signing or go in open contract. I have never met a recruiter that would F-U over like that, but i suppose there are the 10% our there that might. If you have to come on here and ask a question like this than maybe you shouldn't be a Marine. I'm not going to sit here and try and get you into the Marines, hell no! It's your choice but don't come on here and spit a bunch of crazy sh!t about the Marines that you think you know from reading a "book". Cause you don't know sh!t about us. Your not one of us. If the only reason your joining the Marines is to "escape your life" well than you probably should not join. I have seen those kind pass threw the ranks and they tend to #1 Have a really crappy attitude about their service #2 Bring down moral #3 end up getting beat down by other Marines #4 Go to war and get someone killed. Do me a favor and well do the Marines a favor and go spend some time with the Army, cause I wouldn't want you in my unit and I sure as hell wouldn't want you to be my Corpsman. OOH RAH!!!

Cpl. Butler USMC 0311 Squad Leader OIF Combat veteran.

Wyoming
07-19-08, 08:47 AM
GO ARMY!!

Click here - http://www.goarmy.com/flindex.jsp?#?channel=&video=

CplKJSpevak
07-19-08, 09:50 AM
I mean do any of you Marine have friends that are helping people in Africa, and maybe you don't see them as pussy's but as a Man?

Well, When I was in the Marines we helped people in Africa. We rebuilt a school in Kenya (My friend even got bit in the face by a monkey) I think he was trying to feed it Omellet with ham (nasty) :sick:. Marines do alot of these types of things.

Marine84
07-19-08, 11:13 AM
I mean do any of you Marine have friends that are helping people in Africa, and maybe you don't see them as pussy's but as a Man? I have an ego failure right now, I can't help it... I just don't want to be looked down upon anymore.

When we go to other countires, what do you think we're doing? We're helping somebody else AS WELL AS the people here at home. We help them by gettin them out of some kind of bind and we help people here by helping to make sure they never have to live like other countries have and still do. We don't go to other countries to have fun......................well, except maybe Japan ;):banana:

I don't know about anybody else but, to me, that's something to look up to somebody for doing.

BLMirabitoRod
08-08-08, 12:15 PM
"The only reason I’m joining the Marines is to escape my life, so what ever, I guess I can’t get what I want out of the Marines, they choose for me, witch is what people have always told me."

SO WHY ARE YOU HERE WASTING PEOPLES TIME HERE WHO ARE WILLING TO GIVE YOU ANSWERS WHICH MAY HELP YOU? Go whine somewhere else! We are too proud a breed to waste time on people like you who choose the Corps as their "escape".