PDA

View Full Version : Spare Cash

Tom88
07-14-08, 10:38 PM
Sorry if this has been covered. I tried to search for related topics, but my computer's not properly displaying the six verification letters.

I've looked up the monthly pay for enlisted Marines, obviously curious about the E-1/2 ranking. I think it said something like $1,350 a month? I was just curious as to how much money you actually have to work with once you're out of boot camp. Do you pay for any utilities or anything like that? I was assuming your housing and uniforms are supplied by the military (although uniform expenses are deducted from your first paycheck right?) so much is usually left over your first couple years in? Can you afford to finance a car or is that totally out of the question most of the time? I've heard some people finance vehicles while overseas (since you don't have that many luxury items to buy in a warzone I guess) and having almost paid them off when they get back.

Sorry if this is a wierd question, I just wanted to hear about some personal experiences with what you can and can't do as far as money goes while enlisted.

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
07-14-08, 10:57 PM
All depends on your schools and after, whether your instructors and SNCO's decide you should be allowed to or need a car yet. The money's always there, not for a Benz, but for a decent truck thats used at least.

BR34
07-15-08, 05:30 AM
I've been in the fleet for 11 months and have had a Camaro, a GTO, and Grand Am and a Trailblazer so far.

The money is there, just don't spend it all on the 2nd and 16th getting drunk.

Tom88
07-15-08, 08:45 AM
Ha. Wow. Didn't realize you needed an ok to finance a vehicle, but that's good to know. I'm assuming that rule doesn't apply if it's gonna be waiting for you back home at the rent's place? If for whatever reason I wasn't able to finance from where I am, I was kind of banking on sending my parents money to pay off a car. I figured obligating myself to invest in something over time would leave me better off than blowing my money on the weekends on crap I don't need.

Thanks for the quick replies!

BR34
07-15-08, 04:58 PM
You don't need permission.

Pete0331
07-15-08, 05:13 PM
Do you pay for any utilities or anything like that?

Yes and no. If you live in the barracks you don't really pay for it yourself but it is taken out of your paycheck. Same thing with food.

I was assuming your housing and uniforms are supplied by the military (although uniform expenses are deducted from your first paycheck right?)

You will almost always pay for your uniforms out of your own pocket.

so much is usually left over your first couple years in? Can you afford to finance a car or is that totally out of the question most of the time? I've heard some people finance vehicles while overseas (since you don't have that many luxury items to buy in a warzone I guess) and having almost paid them off when they get back.

Almost anyone will finace someone in the military. Don't buy new and don't buy in Oceanside.

BR34
07-15-08, 05:24 PM
You also recieve CRA or BRA which is now I believe 42 bucks a month, paid annually for uniform costs (or budweiser).