PDA

View Full Version : Religion in Bootcamp

JJA1990
07-08-08, 01:39 PM
So this question is specifically for those Marines who were at the time of bootcamp Christian, and are still to this day Christian.

So basically my question is whether or not going to the services they have on sundays worth it? I have heard that the chaplins are pretty limited on what they can say, so as to not offend anyone. Basically I only want to go if its gonna help me carry on spiritually, because I am sure that time could be used in other areas.

Dont get me wrong, my faith is very important to me-unto death. But if its just going to be a chaplin telling us that Jesus died on the cross for 13 weeks, then I am not too sure I will want to be there.

THANKS

CH53MetalMan
07-08-08, 03:29 PM
You'll be glad to get a break out of your squad bay. There is no way you'll pass up services, Sundays will come as a welcome change. Who knows what Preacher, Minister or Chaplin you might have, but it will be much better than listening to a D.I.

Remember that most of what happens spirtually with you, is between you and God. And unless you wish to think of Christ as the 'middle man' - - it's sometimes best to 'cutout the middleman'

Pete0331
07-08-08, 04:08 PM
So this question is specifically for those Marines who were at the time of bootcamp Christian, and are still to this day Christian.

So basically my question is whether or not going to the services they have on sundays worth it? I have heard that the chaplins are pretty limited on what they can say, so as to not offend anyone. Basically I only want to go if its gonna help me carry on spiritually, because I am sure that time could be used in other areas.

Dont get me wrong, my faith is very important to me-unto death. But if its just going to be a chaplin telling us that Jesus died on the cross for 13 weeks, then I am not too sure I will want to be there.

THANKS

The Protestant services are non-denominational but they are worth going to. There were some pretty cool speakers that came in when I wnet through.

darkgreen0311
07-08-08, 04:29 PM
You're going to need religion every day in recruit training.....believe us when we tell you.

:marine:Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

jrhd97
07-08-08, 05:56 PM
Even if you don't like signing the old hymns and listening to a chaplain who may be Methodist while your Baptist is worth it. That is the only time you get away from your Drill Instructors. The only time they can't harass you.

CH53MetalMan
07-08-08, 06:12 PM
For me it was shocking to see how the D.I.’s participated during the service. I didn’t comprehend that there could be another dimension to them, other than yelling at the recruits. Also they were kind of ‘soft’ with how they marched the formation to services. If nothing else it is a good way to see ‘the other side of the coin.’

ggyoung
07-08-08, 07:05 PM
Just say no I don't want to go and see what happens

JJA1990
07-08-08, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the responses. I may have misunderstood, but I thought that the recruits who chose not to go to a service of some type basically just were in the squad bay with the D.I.'s.. What that means, I am not sure I want to know.

jrhd97
07-09-08, 06:48 AM
The squad bay is a giant room with racks ( bunks ), foot lockers, wall lockers and and every member of your platoon lives. No rooms.
If you chose to not attend religious services on Sunday you will stay behind in the squad bay with what ever Drill Instructor is assigned to baby sit the recruits who chose to stay behind.
You will not want to be part of the small number of recruits staying behind with a bored Drill Instructor. Bored Drill Instructors are never a pretty sight.

UsmcMotorT
07-09-08, 12:17 PM
Not only will going to Sunday Service help you spiritually it'll get you out of the squad bay. Trust me, you want out of the squad bay. When I was in boot the DIs made sure everyone went to a service, and if you were one of the stubborn ones they had you doing a crap load of **** detail (with a little down time).

JJA1990
07-09-08, 03:35 PM
Ok, alright..

I will remember that, bored D.I.'s are a bad thing, thanks much.

CplKJSpevak
07-09-08, 06:55 PM

THANKS

:confused: Wow! That statement made NO sense, If the faith that is so important to you is the Christian Faith, Then you better re-evaluate your beliefs, Because that's kind of the Point! The Cornerstone of the faith....or are you looking for that feel good Joel Ostein stuff?

JJA1990
07-09-08, 11:49 PM
:confused: Wow! That statement made NO sense, If the faith that is so important to you is the Christian Faith, Then you better re-evaluate your beliefs, Because that's kind of the Point! The Cornerstone of the faith....or are you looking for that feel good Joel Ostein stuff?

I think you misunderstood what I said, I apologize. What I was trying to say was that if the message for 13 weeks is just going to be that Joel Ostein stuff, I'm not too sure I want to take part. If the message for 13 weeks is only going to consist of the chaplain telling us that we need Jesus, and that's all, it would seem a bit repetitive and unhelpful. I know I am a wicked sinner and need Jesus, and it cant hurt to keep hearing that, but I also crave and need more deep preaching.(as all of us should the more we grow spiritually).

Before this thread I had the misconception that the chaplain basically said the same thing every week, and was incredibly limited on what he could say and that it would be pointless to go. However, through talking to many of you and some others(through messages) I have learned this is not completely accurate, and even if I can be at the service to encourage one other recruit or be encoraged-it would all be worth it.

UsmcMotorT
07-10-08, 12:05 PM
Its like Church back home. There's a specefic sermon for that week. It's not all the same. I enjoyed Sunday Service. But hey, if you rather do **** detail at the squad bay rather than go to church with AC, possibly even see some nasty 4th batallion recruits (at PI), fellowship with other recruits then go ahead. Church is one place the DI's will not mess with you, once you leave church is a different story but it's well worth it.

Marine84
07-10-08, 06:33 PM
possibly even see some nasty 4th batallion recruits (at PI)

HEY!

Big Jim
07-10-08, 06:41 PM

THANKS

YOU REALLY THINK YOU HAVE A CHOICE AS TO WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN JUST GO TO CHURCH OR HANG AROUND IN THE SQUAD BAY??? I UNDERSTAND HOW SOME PEOPLE GET VERY SPIRITUAL WHEN THEY FACE THESE LIFE-CHANGING EVENTS AND "FIND JESUS" WHEN THEY NEED HIM...BUT, HONESTLY SPEAKING, DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU SHOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT RELIGION BEFORE LEAVING FOR BOOTCAMP...???

WHEN YOU GET THERE AND GET INTO TRAINING...CHURCH IS GOING TO BE THE LAST THING ON YOUR MIND...JUST GO LIKE YOU'RE TOLD AND WORSHIP OR NOT...IT MAY BE JUST AN EXTRA HOUR OF MUCH NEEDED SLEEP LIKE IT WAS FOR 95 % OF ALL RECRUITS THERE...

JJA1990
07-11-08, 01:29 AM
I guess I had the misunderstanding that it was a choice.

Either way, it's been clarified numerous times and I thank all of you.

Native Warrior
07-11-08, 08:32 AM
I'm not even Christian, I'm Native American and practice the old traditions, but I joined the Chapel choir just to get away from the DI's on Sunday mornings. As a member of the Choir we'd get 3 hours away from the DI's and a little freedom. I would even get over to the soda machine for a cold coke and a stress free smoke.

My advice to you and to anyone getting ready to head out to boot camp is to just relax and don't overthink things. If you get all this advice and suggestions and then you get there and things are different, you've wasted time worrying for nothing. I've gone back to PI 2 to 3 times a year since I got out in 1988 and things are constantly changing with recruit training. I have a friend whose a DI and his words were "man the **** is always different and new, but it still stinks" This was his description of recruit training and the changing rules.

Have fun and enjoy it, it'll be over all too quick.

CH53MetalMan
07-11-08, 03:29 PM
My advice to you and to anyone getting ready to head out to boot camp is to just relax and don't overthink things. If you get all this advice and suggestions and then you get there and things are different, you've wasted time worrying for nothing.

Damn good advice.

Just be sure to memorize the "general orders" before you ship off to boot camp.

bgsuwoody
07-11-08, 03:52 PM
The squad bay is a giant room with racks ( bunks ), foot lockers, wall lockers and and every member of your platoon lives. No rooms.
If you chose to not attend religious services on Sunday you will stay behind in the squad bay with what ever Drill Instructor is assigned to baby sit the recruits who chose to stay behind.
You will not want to be part of the small number of recruits staying behind with a bored Drill Instructor. Bored Drill Instructors are never a pretty sight.

This just needs a second and a third and hallelujah and some other ****...damn right.

mcvet57103
07-11-08, 10:27 PM
Even if you don't like signing the old hymns and listening to a chaplain who may be Methodist while your Baptist is worth it. That is the only time you get away from your Drill Instructors. The only time they can't harass you.My thoughts exactly. Although I am a believer, but decide what way "I" think is appropriate to show my respect and thankfulness to God. I welcomed the time I could be free of the pressures exerted by my Drill Instructors by attending services every Sunday. And my Drill Instructors respected the religious boots a lot more than the non-religious ones.

Marine84
07-12-08, 08:15 AM
I think I might have stayed behind one time. As far as I remember, there was only Catholic and Protestant services when I was there. I went to the Catholic service once - couldn't understand a damned thing that was going on. The next Sunday I went to the Protestant service and fell in love with Chaplain Hightower - I saw him every Sunday after that and even met my Mom & Dad there the final Sunday service before we graduated. He wasn't one of those fire & brimstone preachers like a lot of these Southern Baptists are. He would always associate his sermon to whatever we were going through in training - sure did put some of us in the right frame of mind for the upcoming week.