PDA

View Full Version : Son heading to PI

melodyr317
07-07-08, 04:23 PM
My son left today heading for PI miss him terribly already but he will be a Marine when he returns. oohrah!:cry:

Big Jim
07-07-08, 04:47 PM
My son left today heading for PI miss him terribly already but he will be a Marine when he returns. oohrah!:cry:

CONGRATS MA'AM...DON'T WORRY...HE'S IN VERY GOOD HANDS...

ecfree
07-07-08, 05:00 PM
Don't you worry Miss Melody,your son will be well taken care of,he'll be our brother soon......:thumbup:

melodyr317
07-07-08, 05:36 PM
Thanks you guys I will be needing alot of support the next three months if yal dont mind? Melody

darkgreen0311
07-07-08, 05:44 PM
We don't mind. I'm quite sure our mothers all needed support too. I know mine did.

:marine::flag: Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

Wardey
07-07-08, 08:48 PM
Melody, My son deployed to PI on May 12. He is set to graduate 8-8-08. While it is very tough to watch them leave just wait until you start receiving mail from him. You will feel a feeling of proud you never new existed. It is tougher on the parents then it is on the recruits. The recruits are kept so busy that the time flies for them. Send him lots of mail after you receive your first letter. Congratulations on raising a fine young man. God Bless and hang in there. Dave

sparkie
07-07-08, 08:50 PM
Yea, Lady.... I'm shipping my son in Oct, and I know what he faces..... It ain't never easy.

davblay
07-08-08, 01:41 AM
Congratulations Ma'am, I know you are now and will be worried about him, but he is in good hands. They will take good care of him and you will see the pride bursting out of each letter you get from him. He'll have his bad days, but remember to send him only GOOD news, news that you know he would like to know about. Mostly send him lots of mail...lots of mail! Those guys live from chow to chow, sunday to sunday, and mail call to mail call! They lover getting mail, trust me, from anyone!

Anytime you feel the need or desire to vent, please come see us, we are all fairly grown up Marines here and we all understand!

Dave

CplKJSpevak
07-08-08, 05:49 AM
Ma'am, You have an outstanding source of support right here! Congratulations on the opportunity to be the Parent of a United States Marine, Marine Corps Drill Instructors are some of the most Outstanding,Squared away,Professional People out there, He really is in Good hands.:)

DAMNPROUD
07-08-08, 06:23 AM
Miss melody congrats on your son!my son is also at PI and will graduate on july 25th.everything thing these Marines say is true ,and they can answer all your questions.DAVBLAY can be a rock when you really get worried about something in a letter.you have all the support you need right here.

sent you a pm

keith

jrhd97
07-08-08, 07:47 AM
Ma'am your son is in good hands. You have support here when ever you need it. Many of us will send up some prayers for your piece of mind and for your son while he is on his journey to becoming a man.

melodyr317
07-08-08, 09:19 AM
Thanks to all you guys I got my phone call last night and it really hit hard I know they are only allowed to say a certain thing but it was so sterile! But i did slip an I love you in there and he did respond with ( I love you too!) .I cant wait til I start recieving mail,He is set to graduate October 3rd.

ScottsMom
07-08-08, 11:51 AM
Congratulations! It was also very hard for me when my son left, but after we started receiving letters the time started to fly by and before we knew it, we were hugging our brand new Marine! I hope the time passes quickly for you. Good luck!!

jtsdad
07-08-08, 02:28 PM
Hey Melody - It does get easier! Our recruit shipped out to San Diego on May 5th and is currently scheduled to graduate on August 1st. The first couple weeks where tough, then mail started rolling in and it became quite obvious he was in good hands.
It's not an easy ride but the support system that is created within each company and platoon helps. After JT left I paid his recruiter a visit and was pleasantly surprised by how supportive he was, a wealth of information. As the days roll by the excitement starts to build and toward the end all you can focus on is FAMILY DAY!!

sparkie
07-08-08, 05:31 PM
Personally,,,I can't hardly stand to wait. Watching the parade ground,,,,, waiting for my son,,,,,, hope I remember to breathe.
I know I'm loosing a boy, and gaining a man.

Too bad all boys can't go there.

USMC3381
07-08-08, 06:55 PM
Semper Fi, He Will Make It Through And You Will See Him In Three Months A Changed Man. He Will Be A Marine

melodyr317
07-09-08, 01:42 AM
yeah, I am so excited never thought I would be in such a hurry for time to go by but I am counting the days til Oct 3rd. He will be not only a man but a Marine.

TMann
07-09-08, 06:14 AM
We went through the experience twice with our twin sons (May 07 & August 07). There will be ups and downs. What helps them through are letters from home. Write daily. Recruits live for mail call. Go to the Parris Island Web site. There is a training matrix were you can follow what your recruit is doing. Lastly, sites such as this one are supportive. An additional site is www.marineparents.com (http://www.marineparents.com) which can link you with others parents from your son's Plt. Hang in there. On Graduation Day, the transformation from recruit to Marine is remarkable.

proudashellmama
07-09-08, 12:19 PM
Hey Melody, I sent a reply but I think it got lost.... my son left May 19 for MCRD, San Diego. So far we have gotten 12 letters AND a birthday card for my husband! What a nice surprise that was! We really have had not ONE real complaint.... sounds like he is doing great and ??Loving?? boot camp?? Is it even possible? Ha Ha Ha!

Ian Blodgett
07-09-08, 03:03 PM
Although i dont ship until next after i graduate from high school. My parents were kinda wondering a little bit about the family day. They would like to know if expenses for my family will be payed for or if they come out of their own pocket?

jrhd97
07-09-08, 03:07 PM
They have to pay there own way and lodging meals, just like a vacation.

Ian Blodgett
07-09-08, 03:11 PM
Alright. Thank you for the help. Better tell them to start saving.

davblay
07-09-08, 03:46 PM
Although i dont ship until next after i graduate from high school. My parents were kinda wondering a little bit about the family day. They would like to know if expenses for my family will be payed for or if they come out of their own pocket?

If I read your profile right, you are in Alaska? I would contact the recruiters office and the Depot Housing Billet office in San Diego like NOW for accomodations. The rooms are not a nice as the Hilton but they are on base and easy access to everything on base. The best thing is the cost is very, very reasonable.

Base Information Operator

(619) 524-1011

Ask for information on Family housing for Graduation, it used t be available on a first come first served bases!

Good Luck,

Dave

davblay
07-09-08, 03:55 PM
Hey Melody, I sent a reply but I think it got lost.... my son left May 19 for MCRD, San Diego. So far we have gotten 12 letters AND a birthday card for my husband! What a nice surprise that was! We really have had not ONE real complaint.... sounds like he is doing great and ??Loving?? boot camp?? Is it even possible? Ha Ha Ha!

Yes it is possible Ma'am happens every day!

Melody, she is right! I get a lot of mail from a lot of recruits. There is no manual for letters or what to say in them, but they all pretty much say the same things, depending on what week or phase they are in! The first phase is the the hardest, they have to leave behind all that civilian crap and learn the Marine Corps way of doing things! When he gets to the Rifle range (Phase 2), his letters will be more excited, then Phase three.......well that is the end of an ending, once they pass that Crucible, it's all over unless God himself gets involved somehow!

Yes, ma'am, he made a decision and a commitment and he intends to stick to it......he'll be a fine addition to our brotherhood, you'll see!

Semper Fi,

Dave

davblay
07-09-08, 04:01 PM
We went through the experience twice with our twin sons (May 07 & August 07). There will be ups and downs. What helps them through are letters from home. Write daily. Recruits live for mail call. Go to the Parris Island Web site. There is a training matrix were you can follow what your recruit is doing. Lastly, sites such as this one are supportive. An additional site is www.marineparents.com (http://www.marineparents.com) which can link you with others parents from your son's Plt. Hang in there. On Graduation Day, the transformation from recruit to Marine is remarkable.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO OUR BELOVED CORPS, I SALUTE YOU! Your Mrines are our future and we need them very much, each and everyone of them are appreciated by us "THE OLD FARTS BATTALLION"!

Semper Fi to you as well,

Dave

davblay
07-09-08, 04:04 PM
Personally,,,I can't hardly stand to wait. Watching the parade ground,,,,, waiting for my son,,,,,, hope I remember to breathe.
I know I'm loosing a boy, and gaining a man.

Too bad all boys can't go there.

The Corps has already got his Blues tailored and ready for that son of yours, Sparkie! Give him a big Ooo-Rah, and a hug, from me will ya? :marine:

Dave

davblay
07-09-08, 04:06 PM
NOW HEAR THIS.....ALL YOU PROUD PARENTS KEEP US POSTED ON THE PROGRESS THESE RECRUITS ARE MAKING!

SgtThrasher
07-09-08, 04:35 PM
Melody,your son will learn things that will nurture him through life, and he will become a man.Marine and politician Zell Miller,stated in his book "Everything I needed to know about life,I learned in the Marine Corps". I have to agree with those prophetic words.The University of Parris Island have the best Drill Instructors, and continue to turn boys into men.
Semper Fi,
Class of 1965 :iwo:

sparkie
07-09-08, 05:42 PM
"THE OLD FARTS BATTALLION"!

I LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!! The only service I was drafted into. Kicking and screaming.

I guess my boy was born ready,,,, could make 2/3rds perfect PFT when he was 12,,, I am friggin jealous. { Thats makin him lazy, I gotta push him} Blues???? Only if he tries.

All this don't stop me from bein scared. I've seen the other side of the hill. Thanks, Dave.

melodyr317
07-09-08, 07:22 PM
You guys are so supportive I am glad my son told me about this website before he shipped out. to PI. I am sure I will gain it as the years go by. Still waiting to recieve letters but I know that will be in a few weeks. He will have his 18th birthday while he is gone they won't torture him too bad will they? Melody

sparkie
07-09-08, 07:25 PM
You guys are so supportive I am glad my son told me about this website before he shipped out. to PI. I am sure I will gain it as the years go by. Still waiting to recieve letters but I know that will be in a few weeks. He will have his 18th birthday while he is gone they won't torture him too bad will they? Melody

Growin up,,,, Yes.

Big Jim
07-09-08, 07:27 PM
You guys are so supportive I am glad my son told me about this website before he shipped out. to P. I am sure I will gain it as the years go by. Still waiting to recieve letters but I know that will be in a few weeks. He will ahve his 18th birthday while he is gone they won't torture him too bad will they? Melody

NO MA'AM...ITS NEVER TORTURE...ITS A RITE OF PASSAGE...I HAD MY 18TH WHILE IN BOOT CAMP AS DID A LOT OF OTHER KIDS GOING FROM BOYHOOD TO MANHOOD...THATS WHAT IT IS TOO...HE'LL BE ALL THE STRONGER BECAUSE OF IT...MUCH STRONGER...LET HIM GO THROUGH WHAT HE HAS CHOSEN TO GO THROUGH AND I PROMISE YOU'LL SEE WHAT THE MARINE CORPS WILL GIVE HIM THAT WILL LAST THE REST OF HIS LIFE AND EVEN AS LONG AS THE MARINE CORPS EXISTS, HE, AND YOU, WILL BE A PART OF THIS FAMILY...

TMann
07-10-08, 07:42 AM
Melody: Indeed, the tranformation from recruit (boy) to man (Marine) is remarkable. On Family Day/Graduation Day the difference in your son will take your breath away. It is a shame that more citizens do not have an occasion to tour PI and see a Graduation. I am of the opinion that if more individuals did, attitudes would be adjusted. Simply put, I was honored to have had the opportunity.

Cudadad
07-12-08, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the Pride Ride, complements of your son. The transformation is nothing short of amazing.

Boot Camp graduation was my second proudest day in my sons life, first was the day he was born. A USMC graduation can not be explained it has to be experienced. Youtube videos, and written accounts don't come close. Untill you are there and FEEL it you just can't understand. I know I didn't.

melodyr317
07-12-08, 10:34 AM
Yeah ,my husband was in the Marine corp before 1992 .He actually went to Parris Island and graduated from boot camp when we were engaged.I remember the pride I had for him then.This time will be alot different because this is my oldest son, he truly loves the Marine corp he has researched and studied everything to do with them for years.I know he made the right decision,it's just that I am his mom and we have a hard time letting go! He will be a man when he returns and he will continue the rest of his future doing what he loves. I just hope he is not stationed too far away. He is going into recon so I know he will be in North Carolina for a while, that will be nice I can go visit more frequently than if he was on the west coast.