PDA

View Full Version : Colorblindness

musicman1234
06-28-08, 09:21 AM
(yes, i know i am asking a lot of questions....;))

i am mildly colorblind, and i want to fly for the USMC. i'm totally fine with not flying...I was wondering how they handle the colorblindless. Do they set a limit to HOW colorblind a person can be, or is it "any person with any level of colorblindness can't fly"?

I took the test here:
http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/ishihara.html

I could see some of the numbers inside the circles, and after i saw the answer on the bottom of the page, i could pick out the number.

again, i know i'm asking a lot of stuff, i'm sorry, Marines!

Marine84
06-28-08, 12:10 PM
You could have done a search on THIS topic

smoking gunz
06-29-08, 12:37 PM
Any level of colorblindness means you cant fly. I too have low levels of colorblindness and couldnt even be a towgunner.

ZSKI
06-29-08, 02:49 PM
Well thats weird im fine on the top and the bottom one i see a 2 so i dunno what the hell i have.

Gary Hall
06-29-08, 11:33 PM
(yes, i know i am asking a lot of questions....;))

i am mildly colorblind, and i want to fly for the USMC. i'm totally fine with not flying...I was wondering how they handle the colorblindless. Do they set a limit to HOW colorblind a person can be, or is it "any person with any level of colorblindness can't fly"?

I took the test here:
http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/ishihara.html

I could see some of the numbers inside the circles, and after i saw the answer on the bottom of the page, i could pick out the number.

again, i know i'm asking a lot of stuff, i'm sorry, Marines!

Music: I didn't have much to offer the Marines, but I got in with astigmatism (which I didn't know about for the next 10 years), and was color blind (couldn't see the dot patterns either). The Recruiter then held up some tongue depressors, each with a basic Red, Green, Blue & Yellow & I identified each correctly. He said that's fine, welcome to the USMC. My best brother became an Airline Transport Captain in spite of being color blind. But he didn't let that stop him. Now I'm not going to try to slow walk you through the procedure, but I'll just proclaim there are ways, if you want to persevere. Like my friends say, "Look around, man.", use a little ingenuity. And my brother never had any trouble, flying multi-million dollar airplanes and never had any difficulties, until age 51 when Agent Orange exposure finally got him. Music, don't let 'em jerk you around, jerk back. Gary Hall.