PDA

View Full Version : Bronchitis with history of athsma/ Medical Waivers

terrapin88
06-22-08, 11:18 PM
I am entering my junior year of college and I have finally been doing research on my dream of serving as an officer in the Marine Corps. I never considered my history of athsma a problem since I haven't had treatment or symptoms since I was six years old. I am very active and easily outperform many of my friends when it comes to physical activity. When I am in shape(which henceforth should be always), I am fully capable of running 4 miles without a breather.

I recently became worried about how my qualifications were affected by my childhood athsma when I develop bronchitis over the last month. It wasn't bad, I still played soccer and ran, albeit not up to my normal standards and with a cough that just would not give up. When I saw my doctor a few days ago she prescribed me some antibiotics. The problem is she also prescribed me an inhaler citing my history of athsma. I don't use the inhaler since I can perform just fine without it. I am, however, very worried that this would disqualify me from the Marines. I have read that being prescribed an inhaler after my 12th birthday would be a no go.

This would be extremely disappointing since I believe I am fully physically qualified for the Marine Corps. If it is the case that this one prescription is presenting me an obstacle, how would I go about obtaining a waiver so I can have a chance to prove myself?

Pete0331
06-23-08, 12:50 AM
I don't use the inhaler since I can perform just fine without it. I am, however, very worried that this would disqualify me from the Marines. I have read that being prescribed an inhaler after my 12th birthday would be a no go.

This would be extremely disappointing since I believe I am fully physically qualified for the Marine Corps. If it is the case that this one prescription is presenting me an obstacle, how would I go about obtaining a waiver so I can have a chance to prove myself?

You wouldn't hurt to use the inhaler anyway.
Talk to a Officer recruiter. You can get a waiver for almost anything.