PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Record (2 felonies)

kyle4038
06-19-08, 10:13 PM
I'm sure you get these types of questions all the time, but can I be a Marine? <br />
<br />
I know there's no way to get a definite answer, but I'll tell you a little bit about myself and hope... <br />
<br />
My name...

rvillac2
06-20-08, 01:59 AM
I don't know why you think you're a felon because you're not. Your crimes and the punishments you described are for misdemeanors. Convicted felons go to prison and then parole.

With some waivers, you may still be able to join. However, the GED puts you at an increased disadvantage. You will have to do get some college credit before you can have a shot at getting in. If you still have a choice, pursue the high school diploma instead.

Native Warrior
06-20-08, 07:42 AM
Not all felonies get acive sentences, there are some that do get probation, it's up the Judge. Were you tried as an adult or juvenile, I know some states unless it's a serious offense will not try you as an adult until you're 18. If it is a juvenile rap sheet, then you may be sitting better. I agree the high school diploma is better than the GED and the more up standing citizens you have recomending you, the better.

But, your best bet is to talk with your local recruiter. They may not be too interested to hear or help you, but be persistent if this is what you really want. Good Luck and pick your friends more closely.

OB MSG
06-20-08, 08:12 AM
Ok, time for me to throw my two cents into the pot. <br />
<br />
First, you screwed up, Royally, you realized this the first time and yet you let yourself be roped into another string of idiocy! Dump this...

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
06-20-08, 11:02 PM
Ssgt is right. You did mess up badly twice, but you are young and that tends to happen. You need to do everything possible to make the best name for yourself starting yesterday. That is probably your best shot. I speek from experience, I have 2 NJP's this fiscal year. Unfortunatly it took those 2 times for me to realize I have a problem with drinking and not thinking. November 21 of 2007 I was waiting for the next meritorious CPL board knowing I was going to win it, my only way of promotion my MOS was closed. Today I am a Pvt. In this last week I worked my ass off and turned from the sh*tbird to the only Pvt with a collateral duty in my unit and am now a program manager working towards getting rank back. Change who you hang out with, change your habbits, busy yourself with PT, studying, and having fun with the right people. Good luck to you, and even if the Marine Corps says no, don't stray back.

kyle4038
06-21-08, 11:57 PM
Thank you for all of your responses and advice. <br />
<br />
First off, the punishments and &quot;record concealed&quot; privliges change every day. The well known rumor, your charges will be dropped at 18, is an...

kyle4038
06-22-08, 12:04 AM
Oh, I didn't read the replies just my personal messages. Thank you very much for the obveous pointers aswell as the others. I also found out I go to court on July 7th... Sweatin bullets...
And I'm going to college after the military, in which I've been told employers really don't care whether or not you have a ged or diploma if you go to college. All I need to do is get in the Marines. Are there any other ways of getting in with a GED... Like what would a recruiter look for. May be a stupid question since my record will be staring him in the face and my lack of a highschool degree, but are there any other acitivities I could do to help my cause GREATLY... ROTC?

Zulu 36
06-22-08, 08:05 AM
Oh, I didn't read the replies just my personal messages. Thank you very much for the obveous pointers aswell as the others. I also found out I go to court on July 7th... Sweatin bullets...
And I'm going to college after the military, in which I've been told employers really don't care whether or not you have a ged or diploma if you go to college. All I need to do is get in the Marines. Are there any other ways of getting in with a GED... Like what would a recruiter look for. May be a stupid question since my record will be staring him in the face and my lack of a highschool degree, but are there any other acitivities I could do to help my cause GREATLY... ROTC?

If you want the least amount of problem getting into the Corps - finish high school and get a regular diploma. Period. Forget the GED crap. How many people have told you this so far?

Yes, many employers don't get excited over a GED if you have college later in life. But, you're not at the "later-in-life" stage with a college degree yet, are you? BTW, there are no such things as a GED for college. You either earn the degree or you don't. Sure, you have credits on a transcript, but thats it.

Now, "later-in-life" you might find an employer who does care if you have a GED and won't hire you. They are out there and, to them, GED means "quitter," "half-assed," or "skater."

You've already showed very poor judgment in your choices in life. Possessing marijuana on school grounds, and claiming to self-medicate yourself for ADHD with weed. Even if true, its a sh*t defense. You probably have no idea how lame that sounds.

Now ADHD is another problem and obstacle you have to get over with a possible waiver. You keep piling on the need for waivers and a recruiter won't waste time with you - especially if you just have a GED.

All of this is academic until your court date anyway. No sense bothering with it until that case is resolved good, bad, or ugly.

Old Marine
06-22-08, 08:56 AM

Go Army.

UsmcMotorT
07-09-08, 01:01 PM
Hey, you realized you made poor choices. I commend you for striving to do better. I was a troubled teenager that hung out with the wrong people but decided to turn my life around my senior year in College.

I'm a Sergeant in the Marine Corps and I recently received my Bachelors degree.

Just remember all the dumb things you did in the past and hope to do better in the future; hopefully everything works out.