PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

ExplicitReality
06-19-08, 12:08 AM
I'm just wondering how many of you Marines went to boot camp without knowing how to swim and how did you overcome your fear of swimming(If any). I've done my research through the forum but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I myself am an extremely weak swimming, and now that my ship date is less than 25 days away, I'm just growing nervous because swimming isn't my thing. For some reason I just have this fear of the deep end, I'm sure its mainly because i can't float. Some words of wisdom would definitely help out this poolee.

Sally
06-19-08, 01:06 AM
When I went, I figured that I just forgot how to swim after so many years of not swimming, but it was just a lot harder with camis on. The pool that I went to was as short as I am, I could touch the bottom with my toes, there was no way I could've drown. They will ask all of you for those who don't know how to swim and you all will qual earlier than the rest of the group and they will teach you how to float, that's all you're doing. As long as you can float, you should be fine.

yellowwing
06-19-08, 02:08 AM
I don't know Sally. I think he's just gonna drown. Thousands Oaks will 999 Oaks. ;)

Zulu 36
06-19-08, 06:16 AM
You've got some time to work on improving your swimming. Use it.

I was (and still am) a poor swimmer, but I managed to get through it all. Mind over matter.
Although since I've gained weight over the years, I do float better. :D

TJR1070
06-19-08, 06:18 AM
He won't drown but he might lose a couple of teeth from the life ring. I was amazed how the Instructors could get that life ring moving just short of the speed of sound a couple inches off the water and hit targets like it was laser guided.

darkgreen0311
06-19-08, 08:19 AM
You'll be fine. I learned to swim when i was about 14 years old and also wasn't a strong swimmer. I can swim on top of the water and underneath the water and in the deep end of the pool, but couldn't tread water. I learned how to tread and i was fine,You'll be ok.

:marine::flag: Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

amarine0311
06-19-08, 08:35 AM
The Marine Corps will teach you everything you need to know, that includes swimming the way they want you to swim.

sparkie
06-19-08, 08:39 AM
You've got some time to work on improving your swimming. Use it.

I was (and still am) a poor swimmer, but I managed to get through it all. Mind over matter.
Although since I've gained weight over the years, I do float better. :D

Worth repeating,,,,, The simple answer is usually the best.

Old Marine
06-19-08, 09:10 AM
The heaviest part of you body is you head. Just leave it on the pool deck when you hit the water and you will be fine.

AL49BGN
06-19-08, 11:51 AM
If you can't swim they will take you to shallow end of the pool with all the other recruits that cannot swim until you are able to stay afloat for the prescibed amount of time.They will teach you the proper way to abandon ship and how to stay afloat.You should be fine.