PDA

View Full Version : Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Addresses San Diego Hospital Corpsmen at 110th

thedrifter
06-17-08, 08:04 AM
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Addresses San Diego Hospital Corpsmen at 110th Birthday Ball

By MCCS(SW/AW) Bill Houlihan,
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Public Affairs

SAN DIEGO (NNS) -- Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON)(SW/FMF) Joe R. Campa Jr. left the Hospital Corps to become a command master chief in 1999. But, as he told an audience of Hospital Corpsmen in San Diego June 14 at the 110th Hospital Corpsman (HM) Birthday Ball, the lessons he learned early in his career have stayed with him to this day.

"I truly believe that the opportunities I've been given are due in large part to the men and women in Navy Medicine who developed me as a Sailor and corpsman," said Campa. "I'll always be grateful for that.

"But while the time I spent serving our Navy as a hospital corpsman resides in the past, it remains very much who I am today."

Campa noted that the deep respect he has today for the Navy's heritage and history was formed at an early stage in his career, while serving in the hospital corps. He explained that stories passed down to him of courage on the battlefield and at sea, helped form his character.

He mentioned the heroism of Pharmacist's Mate 2nd Class Frank Welte, who died at Belleau Wood August 6, 1918. Welte, in the heat of battle, saved the lives of scores of Marines then died only after he was sure he'd done all he could.

"He looked his patient in the eye, handed him the medical notes he made on the injured and asked him to make sure they got back to the battalion aid station," Campa recounted.

"Once the Marine acknowledged the request, Welte quietly passed away. He spent his last dying breath doing his job the only way he knew how: with courage and unwavering commitment to his Marines."

Ladies and gentlemen our Navy core values may have been adopted in 1992, but I believe they very well could have been born on that fateful day at Belleau Wood."

Campa also mentioned the sense of honor he felt two months ago when he met Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Joshua Chiarini, a Fleet Marine Force corpsman awarded the Silver Star for his actions in Ramadi, Iraq in 2006. Campa explained that when he spoke with Chiarini, who is credited with saving several Marines' lives following an improvised explosive device attack and subsequent gun battle, the Corpsman downplayed it and said he was "simply doing his job."

Campa noted that Chiarini's actions were representative of the entire community.

"The remarkable legacy we celebrate tonight is not confined to the battle field. It can also be found in the quiet and dignified way that you carry out your duties around the globe providing care to the sick and injured. Wherever our Sailors and Marines are serving you'll find a corpsman answering that special call to duty that we honor here tonight."

Campa's appearance at the HM Birthday Ball coincided with a visit to San Diego area commands and ships.

For more news from Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, visit www.navy.mil/local/mcpon/.

Ellie

Doc Hickman
06-17-08, 08:27 PM
Thanks for posting that drifter! Happy B-Day to all you Devil Docs wherever you are!

ecfree
06-17-08, 09:07 PM
Happy Birthday(110) Doc's......:beer: