PDA

View Full Version : NROTC & U.S. Naval Academy

Joe360x
06-16-08, 12:58 PM
Hello, I'm currently 17 years old and will be a senior in the upcoming school year.
For about a year now, I've wanted to join the U.S.M.C. and serve my country.I've talked with my recruiter during the beginning of my junior year and told him my ambitions of becoming a Marine officer.He told me of the strict admissions of the the U.S.N.A., though he did tell me that I meet qualifications for NROTC.My main goal however, is to attend the U.S.N.A.He told me about the DEP and how DEP recruits, who meet U.S.N.A requirements, have 70% of getting in.Is this true?My parents also do not want me to DEP in and have already refused to sign the paper(I've talked with them about it and their answer is solid).
Is there any other programs that could help me out?

Side note: I've trained with DEP recruits at my local recruiting station for about a year now without having been DEPed in.Does this count for anything?
I've also heard of the Young Marines; would this help or is it just more of a youth program?

yellowwing
06-16-08, 01:23 PM
Hey Joe, tell us a bit more about yourself in your online profile. Are you a leader in your school and community?

Joe360x
06-16-08, 01:55 PM
No I'm not a leader in any school related or community activities.
I am however, an athlete in both varsity track & field and wrestling.

cantoine
06-16-08, 06:30 PM
You've got to do a lot of looking around. Admissions to the Academy are extremely competitive. I know, I tried. There are, however, many options for you at this point. If you are determined to go to Annapolis get in touch with a liason officer in your area. You need to keep all options open and look into NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School) or other Academy certified prep schools. I went to New Mexico Military Institute where I found that the Academy was not the way I really wanted to go, so I signed a PLC (Platoon Leader's Course) contract which is an OCS program. You need to work on becoming a well rounded individual. I did varsity sports, community service, other school related activities, and college football. I still was not accepted. You will find that what the Academies are going to take a hard look at your ACT and SAT scores, so you need to get at least a 1200 on your SAT to even be competitive along with your extra-carricular activities. Also, get in touch with a local Officer Selection Office so that they can explain even further options. Going enlisted first is definitely an option, but there are no guarantees for anything especially at this time. It may be a tougher road to go that way (i.e. longer and more frustrating), but its definitely something you could look at. Start getting in touch with offices other than the Recruiting office to get a larger, fuller picture and to see all your options.

yellowwing
06-16-08, 07:40 PM
...I am however, an athlete in both varsity track & field and wrestling.
LOL, you wouldn't believe how many Marine Officers are wrestlers. Good aggressive and competitive sport! :thumbup:

jetdoc
06-17-08, 08:45 AM
Get with Nancy, she is going to NAPS in July and the USNA after that....whats her name here.....PooleeDeAvila

Joe360x
06-22-08, 11:39 PM
What's NAPS?

Wyoming
06-23-08, 12:07 AM
What's NAPS?

Google - NAPS - http://www.usna.edu/NAPS/

Now, with your great aptitude and excellence in doing for yourself -

GO ARMY!!