PDA

View Full Version : Gym in basic, on base, and in Iraq

max2555
06-16-08, 12:24 AM
Hi,
thank you for taking time and considering my question. I recently just graduated high school and have made the decision to enlist in the Marines. I have questions about all aspects of "Marine Life". a more specific question that I surfed around for a while on this forum and could not locate was in regards to what you'r P.T. experience is like after boot camp. I know you do many P.T. evolutions and what not with push-ups, pull-ups, etc... but can you still pump up at the gym on base, or is there even a gym? also when you are deployed to Iraq is there a gym you have access to there as well. i've been told my primary concern should be the basic conditioning of running, push-ups, having a strong mind, etc... but I can't help but be curious if you can use a gym. also at boot camp is there a gym avaliable to the USMC trainees. And one more quick question if you score high enough with the PFT scores to be eligible for Force Recon training does that mean you would get a spot there, or would you have to be a standard soldier for a while and then work your way up?
Thank you very much.
-Max Miller

JordanB
06-16-08, 01:24 AM
bootcamp is mostly outdoors cross training but once you get to the fleet you will get the chance to go to a pretty good gym, not to mention your unit will pt you pretty much every day. As far as being deployed, if you go to Iraq most likely you will get the chance to work out at a gym, cant say first hand about afghanistan but ive heard that the bases there are less built up than in Iraq. If you are interested in force recon (now called marsoc) the best way to go is to get a 0321 contract, not many of them out there but you can still get them i think. Remember this contract dosent mean you are marsoc, it just guarentees you a chance to go through the marsoc indoc, in theory. Otherwise you could go 03xx and hope to get selected for marsoc, but they usually only do this for west coasters because thats where they do their indoc.

Quinbo
06-16-08, 02:22 AM
We need to come up with a template for poolees/wannabes very first post. It should include the words soldier and recon of course.
Then we can come up with a second template for response from a Marine which should include fill out your profile and use the search. Sigh

amarine0311
06-16-08, 10:48 AM
max255 profile up or you get no more information. There are rules here...follow them.

Bulkyker- If we only had a dollar for every recon wannabe that posted on this site.....geez.

Big Jim
06-17-08, 06:28 AM
I just think its laziness to do a proper search! I use it from time to time and all I put in is one word and I get everything related to the subject...like Recon or PFT....

I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see that "basic" and "soldier" comment......

yellowwing
06-17-08, 07:37 AM
Marine Life is abundant in the two mile Continental Shelf. If you make and prove yourself at MCRD, I'm sure you will have a cha nce of Recon Qual.

Can you swim well?

Marine84
06-17-08, 07:42 AM
We need to come up with a template for poolees/wannabes very first post. It should include the words soldier and recon of course.
Then we can come up with a second template for response from a Marine which should include fill out your profile and use the search. Sigh

AMEN to THAT!

max2555
06-17-08, 04:15 PM
Yellowwing,
I swim regularly as part of my cardio training regiment. I do sidestroke and some free style.
Thanks