PDA

View Full Version : Life in the Corps?

chucktx90
06-13-08, 11:42 PM
I havnt seen much stuff on the life in the Corps after boot camp and all the training. What would be an example of schedule of a stateside Marine? How does leave work?
Thanks
Charlie

rvillac2
06-14-08, 01:42 AM
We train, train, clean, clean, and clean some more. We eat and sleep every once in a while.

Leave is basically accrued vacation time. When you want to go on vacation, you request it, it's granted, and then you go. Want to make your question more specific?

chucktx90
06-14-08, 03:13 AM
I mean is it like a regular job, work (train/clean) 8-5? or is it way different? I just read "Making the Corps" which was written in 1996, and it sounds like that it is a "regular" job type atmosphere...im just a bit confused and I am just curious as to what life will be like on a day to day basis once i earn the title of a Marine. Thank you for taking your time to reply, and sorry if this is a dumb question, it has just been hard for me to find information on this particular subject.

Big Jim
06-14-08, 03:27 AM
I mean is it like a regular job, work (train/clean) 8-5? or is it way different? I just read "Making the Corps" which was written in 1996, and it sounds like that it is a "regular" job type atmosphere...im just a bit confused and I am just curious as to what life will be like on a day to day basis once i earn the title of a Marine. Thank you for taking your time to reply, and sorry if this is a dumb question, it has just been hard for me to find information on this particular subject.

Well other than the 8-5 job frame reference...what more do you wanna know...? There are sometimes when you will be required to work more than 8 hours a day...and leave...you better have the time accrued before you even start filling out the request.

All other activities are at the barracks...rest and relaxation...doing laundry and preparing for the next day of work....thats liberty time too...be back in the rack by 2200....

Backblast
06-14-08, 08:44 AM
What sort of job are you looking to do in the Corps? How do you want to earn your living?

Old Marine
06-14-08, 09:01 AM
We train, train, clean, clean, and clean some more. We eat and sleep every once in a while.

Leave is basically accrued vacation time. When you want to go on vacation, you request it, it's granted, and then you go. Want to make your question more specific?

That's "If its granted."

amarine0311
06-14-08, 11:06 AM

If you are readying any material that was published before the 9/11 attacks, then you are looking at material that is way outdated. There is no 8-5 in the Corps. You are either training or you are sleeping. Of course all this depends on your MOS.

Quinbo
06-14-08, 11:35 AM
Infantry training ... he he. You stand in line at the armory at 0400 on Monday morning to draw your weapon(s). Get on the trucks, birds whatever at 0700. Go to the field hopefully for only 5 days. Come back. Go on liberty. Start all over again the following Monday. That is during work ups. Garrison time (not in the field)... Morning formation at 0700 get the word from the company gunny and do whatever it is you are supposed to do that day. Classes, weapons mnt, swimming, rappelling, humping, PT, or whatever. Libbo at 1630 except Thursdays ;)

Deployments 8 to 5 means you are doing your job 24/7 for 5 to 8 months straight.

chucktx90
06-14-08, 12:18 PM
Yeah i figured that book was pretty outdated...well thank ya'll for your help, and thank you for everything your doing, i hope to join ya'll soon!

Backblast
06-14-08, 02:01 PM
Infantry training ... he he. You stand in line at the armory at 0400 on Monday morning to draw your weapon(s). Get on the trucks, birds whatever at 0700. Go to the field hopefully for only 5 days. Come back. Go on liberty. Start all over again the following Monday. That is during work ups. Garrison time (not in the field)... Morning formation at 0700 get the word from the company gunny and do whatever it is you are supposed to do that day. Classes, weapons mnt, swimming, rappelling, humping, PT, or whatever. Libbo at 1630 except Thursdays ;)

Deployments 8 to 5 means you are doing your job 24/7 for 5 to 8 months straight.

Check! ...thats an accurate description of an infantry schedule. Couldn't have put it better myself.

:flag:

CBRN5711Tech
06-14-08, 02:30 PM
Not everyone is infantry though. There is also the wing and the group. They work almost normal working hours

Marine84
06-14-08, 05:48 PM
Swing With The Wing Baby!

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
06-14-08, 07:42 PM
Not even all wing jobs are "normal hours". Crew chiefs work 0600 to sun down+2 hours testing birds.

jsmarinedad08
06-15-08, 03:42 AM
in the wing i still work 12 hours a day

Marine84
06-15-08, 07:15 AM
For the biggest part mine was 9-5 (more like 0730 to 1600 or 1630) except for those times where you had to pull a 24 duty, or the deployments where you work 12+ hours, EVERY Thursday night of your enlistment spent cleaning a room in the barracks, time spent on keeping uniforms ready for inspections (these pop up whenever your OIC takes a notion), time spent keeping yourself ready for them PFTs, time spent cleaning weapons, time spent participating in ceremonies (cause you know the Corps is all about the pageantry), time spent building bombs and then having to tear them all down and repackage them because the pilots didn't drop em.......................DAMN! When did I have any time for all the fun I had on top of all of that?

Backblast
06-15-08, 09:21 AM
Air wingers are known for having to pull some crazy shifts. I wasn't in the wing but I have heard of 16-18 hour days when needed. I know wingers are a hard working breed of Marine.

jsmarinedad08
06-15-08, 02:08 PM
we work long hours when needed but like they say it's work hard party hard (especially if your co cares about troop morale) you get compensated for those 16-18 hour night shifts