PDA

View Full Version : OCS after Boot

xpaz
06-12-08, 08:47 PM
This is directed more at any of the Officers, but I'm happy, as usual, to hear anyone else's perspective on the matter.

I'm a college grad and expect to ship 20081027 to MCRD San Diego. I talked 2 times with my local OSO about OCS, but ultimately decided to go enlisted, always knowing that the opportunity for commissioning would always be there. It was only after my 3rd trip to my OSO that I was told something to the effect of:

"That's fine, good luck! Just so you know, as soon as you get out of Boot, they're going to ask you again if you want to go to OCS."

I didn't really grasp that at the time, and probably should have asked more questions about that. It's my understanding that commissioning becomes a bit more of a long and involved process once you've already gone in enlisted and served for some time.

Can someone please elaborate on the process a bit more? I've found a few examples of newly-enlisted Marines getting out of Boot, proceeding to the SOI, and then at some point thereafter, finally being accepted into an upcoming OCS class. But nothing to the effect of what my OSO told me, as far as being "invited" to OCS immediately after graduation from Boot.

Is this something that I'll do immediately after Boot? Generally what time frame would I be looking at after Boot, as far as when I'd be able to go to OCS, should I decide to go that route? Would I still get my 10 days leave following Boot, or would I just hang around in SD and get the paperwork going? Would I wait until the next OCS "class" or would I proceed with MCT and any MOS-specific training until that paperwork went through?

I'm without a doubt committed to getting through Boot as my first priority. If the OCS door opens itself back up to me, who am I to say what I will feel like once/if I have earned the title. But it would still be helpful to get a better grasp on the process immediately coming out of Boot.

Lastly (sorry for so many questions...):

What does this mean for my contract? I guess common sense dictates that I'll have to sign a new contract, void my old one, lose my MOS, etc.? And what happens if I don't make it through OCS for some reason? Do I return to the enlisted side and my previous MOS/training, or am I stuck again as a civvie, having to start the enlistment process all over again?

Thanks for any advice

MyCorps
06-13-08, 08:39 AM
OK, let me understand this one. You are a college grad, have already talked to an OSO and decided to go enlisted on the "hopes" that you will be invited to OCS at a later date?
First, OCS is NOT a guarantee that the Marine Corps will select you as an Officer. OCS is merely you stepping up and saying you think you have what it takes to be an Officer of Marines. It is a selection process to weed out the ones that can not be Officers.
Second, why did you decide to go enlisted first? This does not make any sense to me. Again, there is no guarantee that you will be offered OCS ever again. Honest. Do you realize how many people already in the Marine Corps want to go to OCS?? How many do you think are asked?

I really would like to understand your thinking here, could you elaborate a little more as to why you are willing to go enlisted first. Also, why did the OSO talk you into this??

-note-
I have nothing but the upmost respect for the enlisted, I believe everyone here knows that. In no way were any of the above comments or questions intended to show any malice towards any enlisted personel.

OB MSG
06-13-08, 09:00 AM
Sure there Cpt, try to church it up now! :marine:

CHOPPER7199
06-13-08, 09:22 AM
I Think The Young Man Wants To See What Boot Camp Is All About On Enlisted Side. Seems Like He Wants Challenges, Great For Him. 1 Has To Try Different Things To Advance To Other Things In Life. Some Choose The Direct Step. Its The Frame Work Of The Individual That Makes Different Things Happen In Ones Life. Go For It Young Man, Good Luck On The Future. You Are The One That Makes Things Happen For Better Or Worse. Just An Old Grunts Opinion

MyCorps
06-13-08, 10:48 AM
OK, for the record so everyone knows where I am coming from...

I enlisted as an 0311. Made E-5, went MECEP and earned my commission and am now an Infantry Officer.

I know how hard this path is to do.

Quinbo
06-13-08, 11:24 AM
Yours would be the expected route Captain for someone that goes enlisted then officer. The route of MCEP would be a long row to hoe and your knowlege of what it entails would be helpful.

The age and experience of a mustang does give them a step up on average of OCS, TBS, IOC then to the fleet leaders. Not to disparage the direct route as many have proven they excell no matter what route they have taken to become an officer.

rvillac2
06-13-08, 11:39 AM
Ooohrah, hard charger.

xpaz
06-13-08, 02:29 PM
OK, let me understand this one. You are a college grad, have already talked to an OSO and decided to go enlisted on the "hopes" that you will be invited to OCS at a later date?

First, OCS is NOT a guarantee that the Marine Corps will select you as an Officer. OCS is merely you stepping up and saying you think you have what it takes to be an Officer of Marines. It is a selection process to weed out the ones that can not be Officers.

Thanks for the response, Captain. I know OCS isn't a guarantee of anything; in some way this was part of my decision not to try for it first. I did not think I had the foundation or the "Type A Personality" that many new Officers have going into OCS. I know it's no joke; not all people, and not even all Marines are meant to be officers.

Second, why did you decide to go enlisted first? This does not make any sense to me. Again, there is no guarantee that you will be offered OCS ever again. Honest. Do you realize how many people already in the Marine Corps want to go to OCS?? How many do you think are asked?

It's hard for me to put it in words I guess, but enlisted just sounded more like what I wanted. I know the process for commissioning becomes significantly longer and more convoluted down the road, after enlisting, but I just can't see myself as an Officer right now, and I think that is a fundamental requirement of becoming an Officer of Marines in the first place.

Also, why did the OSO talk you into this??

I did not mean to imply that my OSO talked me into this. I discussed my options with him and my enlisted recruiter, and enlisted just sounded more like what I wanted. My OSO simply mentioned that even though I was enlisting, they would ask me again after Boot Camp if I wanted to go to OCS. I also forgot to add that my OSO said two new Marines were doing this exact same thing: They had just graduated from Boot that week, and were readying their paperwork for OCS.

I Think The Young Man Wants To See What Boot Camp Is All About On Enlisted Side. Seems Like He Wants Challenges, Great For Him. 1 Has To Try Different Things To Advance To Other Things In Life. Some Choose The Direct Step. Its The Frame Work Of The Individual That Makes Different Things Happen In Ones Life. Go For It Young Man, Good Luck On The Future. You Are The One That Makes Things Happen For Better Or Worse. Just An Old Grunts Opinion

I appreciate that, and that's essentially what I was thinking. Boot Camp and enlisted seem like what I want.

I'm not going enlisted with the "hopes" that they will invite me to OCS. That had never crossed my mind until my OSO mentioned the day before I went to MEPS.

But knowing that it's a possibility immediately out of Boot, it is comforting to know that some of the future red tape can be avoided should I change my mind. I would imagine that if I decide to attempt for a commission after Boot Camp, that my experiences there will only put me ahead of the game and serve to benefit me at OCS.

OK, for the record so everyone knows where I am coming from...

I enlisted as an 0311. Made E-5, went MECEP and earned my commission and am now an Infantry Officer.

I know how hard this path is to do.

That's generally the path that I assumed that I, and most Marines -- who did not start at OCS/PLC -- would take towards commission. As I said, it's my understanding that pursuing a commission becomes significantly more difficult once you've enlisted, as opposed to doing it straight from being a civilian. This is why what my OSO said peaked my interest.

In any case, I'm just confused as to the process here, and maybe it's best if I just go back and bug my OSO about it again, since it seems like it's just a big gray area. Not that I want to change my mind now (loving my enlisted poolee functions already), but I don't know what I will think after Boot Camp, and if the opportunity presents itself, and the will exists, then I may as well explore the opportunity. I'd hardly consider myself a Mustang at that point... maybe a Pony? :)

So, again, I'd just like to know what the process behind all of it would be, should they "invite me" after Boot Camp: Regarding my 10 days leave, what will happen with my current contract, whether I will continue on course until all is said and done, etc. etc. I appreciate the thoughtful responses so far.

Thank you, Marines

Quinbo
06-13-08, 03:07 PM
Xpaz,
You seem to be putting too much emphasis on this 10 days leave after boot camp. Yes you will get it. If you go enlisted to officer it will not be straight out of boot camp regardless of what kind of degree you carry. Exceptions would be lawyers, I've never heard of a lawyer attending boot camp then crossing over to officer, but it is possible. You are just another recruit seaking the title of Marine while you are there. I believe that the criteria for MCEP has changed from Sgt and above to LCPL and above. Take the direct route to OCS by applying to OCS first.

MyCorps
06-13-08, 06:03 PM
OK...
Ask your OSO this,
If you wash out of OCS, how long do you have to wait to enlist. From there (enlistment) you may be able to MECEP. I think you should take the most direct route first which is OCS.
Understand?

yellowwing
06-13-08, 06:49 PM
Address and Map to the Phoenix OSO (http://www.scottsdale.com/directory/Government/Marine+Corps+Officer+Selection+Team?ListingID=1119 8).

Decaturflyer
06-13-08, 08:43 PM
I came into the Corps through the OCC program. A lot of the candidates in my platoon were MECEP. I think the junior one was a Corporal, most were Sgt or above. You will have to serve in the enlisted ranks for at least 4 years before you have a realistic chance of going to OCS.

xpaz
06-14-08, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the replies and the link. I've already been to the Phoenix OSO, so no problem there -- parking is a pain though, heh.

I do hold the "10 days leave" fairly high, because I would imagine every new Marine wants a chance to share his/her stories with family and friends before leaving again.

I understand most of your reasoning for saying "do OCS first," but I just don't feel that it's right for me right now. If I have to wait 4 years for commission, then so be it (assuming I ever want to pursue a commission in the first place). But I can't in good faith tell myself that I want to be an Officer right now, when it's really not what I want... probably would be a disservice to myself and the Corps for an Officer to be an Officer without truly wanting to be one.

It seems most of the replies are indicating that MECEP is the only way to commissioning once one has gone enlisted, which is what my understanding of it was as well. It would also seem that what my OSO told me would contradict this. So I guess I'll just have to take it up with him to see what the deal is. Regardless, I plan to go in enlisted in October, and look forward to it very much.

Thanks again for the replies; happy to hear anything else, but I'll take up the rest with my OSO directly.