PDA

View Full Version : Recruit gets dq for astigmatism. Anyone with astigmatism come in here.

mattlw201
06-12-08, 07:02 PM
One of the most motivated poolees I have ever seen got dq at mcrd San Diego because he has an astigmatism. Has anyone ever heard of this. He went through the meps doctors and they cleared him good to go. He got to the depot doctor and he sent him home. My recruiter recieved the call when we were doing pt. He was the most ****ed off person I ever seen. He said it was the dumbest **** he ever heard of. He says the kid can't go back unless he gets surgery. I thought it was correctable with glasses. This was at MCRD San Diego by the way. Everyone tell me what you think, especially if you have heard of this before.

Marine84
06-12-08, 07:06 PM
It's got to be something else if he got sent home. Hell, I didn't even get my first pair of glasses until I got to the Island.

danieljogbn
06-12-08, 07:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, do all people with bad visions have astigmatism? And no, I've never heard someone can get DQ'd for having astigmatism...now i'm scared, I have bad eyes, and I don't even know if I have it.

mattlw201
06-12-08, 07:12 PM
It's got to be something else if he got sent home. Hell, I didn't even get my first pair of glasses until I got to the Island.

Sergeant McMhaon said he got sent home for astigmatism. He recieved the call from his boss, Gunny Richardson. So im pretty sure he got booted for that. Unless he didnt tell us something.

Smitty Puffs
06-12-08, 07:33 PM
More then likely he's not telling you something.

mattlw201
06-12-08, 07:41 PM
More then likely he's not telling you something.

I heard the whole conversation. It went mostly like this. "What's up Gunny? WHAT? A ****ING ASTIGMATISM. THERE IS NO ****ING WAY. I HAVE PUT A HUNDRED KIDS IN WITH THAT. THAT DOCTOR IS ****ING STUPID. I thought that **** was correctable. All right see you Gunny." Im sure I missed a few words here or there but that was basically the whole conversation. I didn't make this thread to scared anybody. I just thought it was bull crap that such a motovated person could not become a Marine because of an astigmatism.

JdnSmith
06-12-08, 07:58 PM
Just out of curiosity, do all people with bad visions have astigmatism? And no, I've never heard someone can get DQ'd for having astigmatism...now i'm scared, I have bad eyes, and I don't even know if I have it.

If your vision is bad you do not necessarily have an astigmatism. Also, having an astigmatism really is not a big deal. I'm licensed by the State Medical Board of California as an Optician and see people with an astigmatism multiple times a day. Hell, I've got one as well. Most are correctable to 20/20 but in some cases they are not. When I went through MEPS my eyes were refracted and they saw I had an astigmatism. When you are refracted, although their machines are not 100% accurate, an astigmatism will show up. The only time it will not show up is if it is EXTREMELY minor in which case he should have been fine. This seems strange to me.

-Jordan Smith

danieljogbn
06-12-08, 08:05 PM
What are the symptoms of having astigmatism? Just blurry visions? Now it bothers me ..haha what if I get DQ'd for having astigmatism..and I don't even know if I have one.

mattlw201
06-12-08, 08:06 PM
It does seem strange to me too. I never heard of it. I have heard of people going through meps that had surguries that get cleared but get sent home from the depot. They must be alot more strict at the depot than at meps.

mattlw201
06-12-08, 08:08 PM
What are the symptoms of having astigmatism? Just blurry visions? Now it bothers me ..haha what if I get DQ'd for having astigmatism..and I don't even know if I have one.

Im pretty sure you have to get diagnosed by a doctor to know if you have an astigmatism. Ask the Optician on this thread to know for sure. I wouldn't worry about it right now. If you have bad vision and a doctor never told you you have one then you probably don't.

JdnSmith
06-12-08, 08:20 PM

In short, an astigmatism means you have an irregular shaped cornea, and I would say about 1 in every 3 or 4 prescriptions (which is a lot) I see has an astigmatism correction. It will cause blurry vision. Again, your eyes get refracted at MEPS. I have a somewhat strong astigmatism that is correctable to 20/20, therefore I was cleared. The Marine Corp has standards for viosion which are posted on this site. There was a kid when I was at MEPS that got DQ'd because of his vision. They told him to go see a doctor, get his RX, and come back. Again, unless you have some crazy RX you should be fine.

JdnSmith
06-12-08, 08:22 PM
Im pretty sure you have to get diagnosed by a doctor to know if you have an astigmatism. Ask the Optician on this thread to know for sure. I wouldn't worry about it right now. If you have bad vision and a doctor never told you you have one then you probably don't.

You are correct about that. There is no tell tale sign you have an astigmatism. A Dr. needs to take a closer look at your eyes to determine this.

Gary Hall
06-12-08, 10:16 PM
I am well acquainted with astigmatism and hope these experiences may assist someone. Astigmatism of the eyeballs means that the eyeball is imperfectly shaped, I was once told by an eye doctor. I spent 5 years in the Corps, not knowing why I had such difficulty qualifying Expert with the M-l. It took me 3 years to get qualified (Expert) and the extra $5/month that came with the qualification. As a youth I couldn't hit a baseball nor throw a football to where the receiver was. At the time I just thought I was inept and had no athletic ability. The good medicine of the Corps & M-1 rifle adjustable sights for elevation & windage (L - R) corrections corrected not only for individual rifle imperfections, but corrected for my then unknown astigmatism. I only learned all this at age 27 after putting on my first pair of glasses. Instantly, I became aware off why I couldn't hit a baseball, it was because I was seeing the ball and swinging the bat at the ball where it was not. It was a personal revelation the likes of which I may never again realize. I often wonder how many youngsters (& oldsters) go through life not realizing they can't see properly. I wonder why, after all this time and genius level everywhere, why it is that ALL YOUNGSTERS are not mandated to have their eyes checked, by law. Parents seldom have the ability to be good parents, I remember. Astigmatism should not keep anybody out of the USMC who wants to be there. This is easy to fix. Kindest regards, Gary Hall.

JdnSmith
06-12-08, 10:46 PM
Thank you PFC Hall for bringing up another important point. I feel it is VERY important for people to get their eyes checked even if they think they are fine. You can somewhat accomodate for bad vision until it counts, like on the range. If you feel for any reason your vision isn't sharp, go see an optometrist, it couldnt hurt. Well, that's the Optician in me haha.

-Jordan Smith

SCrawford
06-13-08, 11:05 AM
My eye sight with astigmatism is so bad that the doctors at MEPS had to send me to a professional to know what the deal was. Im something like right eye: 20/25 left eye: 20/400 if i remember right. Never wore a batch, had glasses never wore them and got contacts that i never wear. I somehow passed the doctors at MEPS tho.

jungholee90
06-13-08, 11:25 AM
Now this is getting me worried. I do have astigmatism and I also had to go out of MEPS to see the eye doctor. He said it is no big deal and that it can be corrected with glasses so he sent me back to MEPS then I got cleared... And I am going to MCRDSD in a week and this is frustrating to see.

jungholee90
06-13-08, 12:27 PM
I did some research online and found this:
---------------------------------------
about.com
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:

c. Refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2)), in any spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or + 8.00 diopters; if ordinary spectacles cause discomfort by reason of ghost images or prismatic displacement; or if corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery. However, for entrance into a military academy or ROTC programs, the following conditions are disqualifying:

(1) Astigmatism, all types over 3 diopters.
--------------------------------------
The one on the bottom is for ROTC or USMA, so that one shouldn't count, so if your astigmatism is so bad that it's worse than +8.00 or -8.00 you can't join. Do you know how bad his eyes were? Looking at this calms me down a bit because mine isn't that bad. I have -1.75 and -2.25.

jungholee90
06-13-08, 12:37 PM

It's the Cylindrical Correction, or CYL section in your vision prescription. If then isn't any number there you don't. I read that if it's less than 1 then it's minor.

Big Jim
06-13-08, 12:59 PM
One of the most motivated poolees I have ever seen got dq at mcrd San Diego because he has an astigmatism. Has anyone ever heard of this. He went through the meps doctors and they cleared him good to go. He got to the depot doctor and he sent him home. My recruiter recieved the call when we were doing pt. He was the most ****ed off person I ever seen. He said it was the dumbest **** he ever heard of. He says the kid can't go back unless he gets surgery. I thought it was correctable with glasses. This was at MCRD San Diego by the way. Everyone tell me what you think, especially if you have heard of this before.

I've known many Marines with Astigmatism. As you know Astigmatism has to do with the shape of the eyeball itself that causes bad eye sight...but it IS correctable. And the only reason I know of a recruit being dq'd over something like this is they changed the medical acceptance policy or that Doctor is smoking oregano..!!!! EVERYONE has some form of Astigmatism...I'd ask your friend to see how bad his was and get another exam by a private Opthamologist who can give a perfect decree of correction of eyesight as well tell how bad his Astigmatism really is....take that evidence and go back to the recruiter. Good luck....

mattlw201
06-13-08, 05:06 PM
To clarify the doctors at meps cleared him there but the doc at the depot is the one who sent him home.

danieljogbn
06-13-08, 06:53 PM
I'm somewhat relieved to know that my contact lenses prescription does not have "Cyl" or "Axis" for Toric (Astigmatism lenses). It has just "BC" meaning Base Curve and "Dia" meaning Diameter. My BC is 8.7 and Dia is 14. Here is the link on how to read the lenses prescription. http://www.aclens.com/prescriptionhelp.asp.

-Poolee Jo

immaproshooter
06-14-08, 02:30 PM
hell most things u can get by with or get waivors for...one of my buddys i went through boot and SOI with had night blindness and the Crop knew bout it during the night hikes we literally had to have him hold onto the Marine infront of him in order to keep going straight so he wouldnt trip or turn off n get lost.....

RSSGreecePoolee
06-14-08, 10:05 PM
I have an astigmatism as well, but I cleared MEPS. They said it was correctable. Actually, the last time I was at my eye doctor they said it's gotten better over the years, and if I were to get contacts it would actually be even better, it better corrects the astigmatism.

bstewar09
06-15-08, 08:13 AM
So I have a question then, I have pretty bad astigmatism, but it is correctable to 20/20. I am pretty sure its more than + or - 8 diopters. Is there any way to apply for a waiver before MEPS?

mattlw201
06-15-08, 09:52 AM
So I have a question then, I have pretty bad astigmatism, but it is correctable to 20/20. I am pretty sure its more than + or - 8 diopters. Is there any way to apply for a waiver before MEPS?

Im think if its more than 8 you ar dqd.

SgtThrasher
06-15-08, 10:08 AM
I have Amblyopia in my right eye 20/200 and had to get a
waiver to get through my physical, but I wasn't impacted by
my eye sight during my Marine Corps career,I can't imagine
astigmatism would be worse than being half blind.I hope the young man gets a waiver. :flag:

davblay
06-15-08, 11:30 AM
I did some research online and found this:
---------------------------------------
about.com
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:

c. Refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2)), in any spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or + 8.00 diopters; if ordinary spectacles cause discomfort by reason of ghost images or prismatic displacement; or if corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery. However, for entrance into a military academy or ROTC programs, the following conditions are disqualifying:
(1) Astigmatism, all types over 3 diopters.
--------------------------------------
The one on the bottom is for ROTC or USMA, so that one shouldn't count, so if your astigmatism is so bad that it's worse than +8.00 or -8.00 you can't join. Do you know how bad his eyes were? Looking at this calms me down a bit because mine isn't that bad. I have -1.75 and -2.25.

People this is nothing new, it has been around forever. Normally MEPS catches it and DQ's the prospect then the recruiter gets a waiver for it. It simply sounds to me like the MEPS overlooked the regulation that covered that and simply signed off on it. Now if MCRD caught it and sent him home, then he will need to have his docotir examine his eyes, diagnos the problem and give him the proper glasses to correct the problem. Then he can take that to his recruiters office and start the whole process again. It will be harder because of the way it was handled, but it can be done. Unless there is more to the story than we have been told!

If his vision is bad enough that MCRD sent him home then he really needs the help of a professional anyway! It was MCRDSD that told me that I had one, but in those days they just issued BC glasses and sent me on to training.

Right now I am betting there is more to it than what we have been told! In 2 years of recruiting I never had one sent home for any such problem, and I enlisted well over a company of men in those 2 years!

My advice is tell him not to JUMP SHIP yet, try for that waiver and get back in!

Dave

Bmirabito
05-14-09, 07:29 PM
i just got DQ'd for astigmatism, sucks but hopefully the waiver will go through. I'll wear BCG's all my life if thats what it takes for me te get in!

echo3oscar1833
05-14-09, 07:34 PM
man alot of old threads being dug up hear recently im going to find one and bring it up. I want on the Koolaid Train to :D:scared:

NoRemorse
05-14-09, 09:53 PM
man alot of old threads being dug up hear recently im going to find one and bring it up. I want on the Koolaid Train to :D:scared:

Is that top shelf Koolaid? :D

Petz
05-15-09, 12:13 AM
there is such a thing as bad astigmatism... if it was bad then he'll need surgery... but there are corrective glasses, my dad has them.

he'd enjoy life better to have the surgery... tell him to get the one where they scrap the eyeball skin off then fix the lens... as the one where they cut a flap is not a safe alternative for the Corps... the skin grows back with no scaring and it's as if the eyeball is brand new.

it should take him like 4 months so... yeah.

Gary Hall
05-16-09, 01:27 AM
It can be a real bummer, because it wont tell you. I didn't find out about it until 10 years after I got of the Corps (1952). I was back in school, about to finish up, and was having terrific headaches. Somehow I went to an eye Doctor and he said yes, I had astigmatism as well as color blindness. The Doctor explained that astigmatism was (in simpleminded terms) an eye condition wherein the eyeballs are out of round, such that the eyeball tells the brain the object you are trying to focus on (ball, target, whatever) ain't where you think it is. So, when I put on my first pair of glasses (1957), I immediately realized I had come face to face with another miracle. I immediately understood why as a youngster I couldn't hit a baseball, where I thought the ball was, the ball was somewhere else. I also then understood why I had such difficulty in qualifying Expert with the M-1. In boot camp w/o any glasses I barely qualifed Marksman, it took me 3 years to qualify Expert with the M-1 (again with no glasses). It turns out that the windage & elevation corrections on the M-1 can, in addition to making rifle adjustments (corrections), is smart enough to make astigmatism corrections. In my 5 in the Corps I only earned & received one attaboy, the day on the rifle range at MBNAD Hawthorne NV, when Gunny Kastner told me "... nice shooting, Hall..." as I finally became an official USMC Expert Rifleman, the highwater mark of my life. Kindest regards & Gung Ho, Gary Hall, W-3-1, 1950-51.

Petz
05-17-09, 01:45 PM
for those who don't know what gung ho means, it's chinese for work together.

it's a china Marine thing, you wouldn't understand.