PDA

View Full Version : OCS for someone without prior service

SinCitySurfer
06-12-08, 03:49 PM
Hello,

I am not sure if this is an appropriate forum to post in but thought I would try.

I do not have prior service but looked into the Marines when I was younger, talked to a recruiter and looked online at information. It was when my mother was ill, I did not enlist. I finished college and have earned two degrees - one in criminal justice a BA and another which is associate of science in psych/mental health. I currently work in business management as a property manager.

I am 34, in good shape and an active athlete. I recently looked into the Army OCS online and through that it appears at my age I may still qualify for Marine OCS. With everything going on in the middle east and with coming from a huge military family and a strong desire to serve and make a difference I am confident with the right training I would make a good officer and be able to lead Marines and keep them alive.

Does anyone know the age limitations, how they work?

Also must officers commit to active duty or are there reserve units with reserve officers?

I appreciate any and all information that you can offer me.

Please post here or send me an email.

sfaboston@hotmail.com

Regards, Tim
Lynn MA

MyCorps
06-12-08, 04:16 PM
I believe 35 is the age limit. Talk to your local Officer Selection Officer to determine if you qualify or not, your age may keep you out of some MOS's.(Do this ASAP) Do not go to an enlistment recruiter if you are wanting to go to OCS. Here is the OCS link; http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/.
OCS and TBS will be the hardest two schools you will go through. Competition is tough, Infantry is the holy grail among most Officer Candidates. You stated you are 34 yrs of age therefore you will be competing against personel 7 to 10 years younger than you.
How fit are you? Start an exercise program ASAP.
Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
Good Luck

SinCitySurfer
06-13-08, 08:33 AM
I am in good shape. I live in New England and surf year round including winters, this definitely helps keep in shape along with running and mountain biking. I am fairly built, do not smoke, eat well. I am trying to access a PM that someone sent me but it appears I do not have the privelages yet by the set forum rules to read it, perhaps I need to post a couple more times.

Thanks for the information!