PDA

View Full Version : What females should bring to bootcamp...

Banshee
06-11-08, 12:07 PM
Suggestions from my DEP booklet:

-three pairs of skin-toned panty hose
-one white or beige bra
-six white athletic bras that provide good support and comfort while running
-seven or more pairs of white panties
-portable blow dryer, curling iron, or hot comb
-required items for hair care maintenance

First thought: What the heck? This sounds alot different from the suggestion of only bringing your paperwork and the clothes on your back.

Second thought: Blow dryer, curling iron, or hot comb? sounds a little fussy to me for Basic. Do you not buy everything for "hair care maintenance" at the MCX? Are they for graduation day? And if so, can family ship you makeup for graduation? (sounds a bit girly, I know--but that would be a day for which I would like to look my best).

Third thought: Why panty hose? As I read it, they have changed it so that female Marines wear only pants for the graduation. Why bras and panties, yet no socks?

Female Marines, any insight or suggestions?

Banshee
06-11-08, 12:22 PM
I just recieved my DEP booklet last week from my recruiter after I signed my contract--so it is almost as new as it can get.

Big Jim
06-11-08, 12:29 PM
Suggestions from my DEP booklet:

-three pairs of skin-toned panty hose
-one white or beige bra
-six white athletic bras that provide good support and comfort while running
-seven or more pairs of white panties
-portable blow dryer, curling iron, or hot comb
-required items for hair care maintenance

First thought: What the heck? This sounds alot different from the suggestion of only bringing your paperwork and the clothes on your back.

Second thought: Blow dryer, curling iron, or hot comb? sounds a little fussy to me for Basic. Do you not buy everything for "hair care maintenance" at the MCX? Are they for graduation day? And if so, can family ship you makeup for graduation? (sounds a bit girly, I know--but that would be a day for which I would like to look my best).

Third thought: Why panty hose? As I read it, they have changed it so that female Marines wear only pants for the graduation. Why bras and panties, yet no socks?

Female Marines, any insight or suggestions?

All good and legitimate questions Banshee....I would think a phone call to your recruiter may be better in this case. They probably have outdated material in their handbooks and not yet realize it. Give them a call and ask whats up with this info....over? HAHA! Good luck, girl!!

MyCorps
06-11-08, 01:25 PM
Big Jim is right, talk to your recruiter.

stein07
06-11-08, 01:44 PM
This is based on my experience in 2002, so if things have changed, I'm counting on one of the younger Marines to correct me.

No to the pantyhose
No to the sports bras. They will be issued.
No to the underwear. It will be issued.
Definitely not to the hair dryer and curling iron. That will not be happening in boot.

In terms of the hair care items, I would bring 1 small hair brush. That is allowed and was something that I really wished I had had. I spent 4 weeks using a fingernail brush to brush may hair or borrowing a brush until there was a chance to get to the PX.

In terms of the non-sports bra, you can bring that or wear it down there, but be advised that sizes change during boot, so you may end up having to buy a different one for inspections anyway.

Put one of those small packages of Kleenex into your pocket when you go down there and keep it with you throughout receiving. You won't see tp in the heads for about a week.

Otherwise, just bring what they tell the men to bring.

PatriotGirl422
06-11-08, 02:30 PM
Here we go again. I know I've posted on this topic at least 5 times. The booklet they give you is retarded, I'm sorry but it is. You don't need to bring panty hose and a ****ing blow dryer. Wear the clothes on your back and bring your SS card and ID...THAT'S IT! I seriously think they printed that booklet as a joke to make females look retarded in boot camp. You will never use your panty hose or curling iron or make up in boot camp. The only time you may ever get to use this stuff is on graduation day, but they'll make you buy those items there beforehand. You won't bring your own stuff with you to boot camp. For the love of God, don't bring any of that crap. You're training to be a warrior, not a beauty queen.

sparkie
06-11-08, 03:09 PM
I'm so glad I refrain sometimes,,,, You all should be proud of me.

hrscowboy
06-11-08, 03:10 PM
Wait a dang minute here i used to see alot of fine Women Marines when i was in and even today they look even better.. but i am alot older and to dammnn old to be a warrior anymore so if you loot i will shoot..

Banshee
06-11-08, 03:30 PM
wow. I'm sorry if my tone wasn't as obvious as I thought. I do not approve of these things in Basic. I wasn't planning on bringing any of these items, I just thought it was odd reading the list in my booklet.

I was under the impression that female Marines were able to do without all of this...stuff (I will be polite), be hard ass warriors, and look good doing it nonetheless. I think camo is the best form of makeup.

Backblast
06-11-08, 03:32 PM
WMs rock! Except for the one that turned me down at Camp Margaritta when I was at Division Schools.

sparkie
06-11-08, 03:34 PM
WMs rock! Except for the one that turned me down at Camp Margaritta when I was at Division Schools.
There ARE smart ones,,,guess you found out,LOL.:beer:

thewookie
06-11-08, 03:34 PM
I think camo is the best form of makeup.

me too

SgtThrasher
06-11-08, 03:37 PM
I think the Patriot Girl is right on the money and I can't imagine who would need that equipment for
boot camp,I know in Vietnam ,I didn't wear any
skivvies,socks, after the ones I brought,rotted off.
:evilgrin:

sparkie
06-11-08, 03:41 PM
Patriot Girl,,, Did they hand out training bras?

tntmondy
06-11-08, 03:56 PM
When I went to boot camp ( Iam sure Marine84 will agree) we took all that crap and more. We will NOT even get into how long ago that was. By the way Banshee you are Depped into the Marine Corps not the army, therefore you will go to Boot Camp not Basic!

sparkie
06-11-08, 04:05 PM
I understood Marine 84 took a curling iron,,, The kind that you heated on a Ben Franklin stove.

tntmondy
06-11-08, 04:09 PM
Your in trouble NOW!!!!!!!

amarine0311
06-11-08, 04:24 PM
I understood Marine 84 took a curling iron,,, The kind that you heated on a Ben Franklin stove.

Oh man Sparkie, you're in for it now.

sparkie
06-11-08, 04:41 PM
Hey,,,, I didn't say anything about that 'hand crank' apparatus she took. Gimmie a break

Marine84
06-11-08, 06:29 PM
LOL!!! Sparkie - you old goat - at least Jesus had already done his time by the time I arrived - HAHAHAHAHAHA!

And, my hair is naturally curly so I didn't need to take the curling iron. Yeah, I think they've left that list alone since women started going in the Corps. I don't remember any curling irons but, we did have blow dryers. We weren't issued underwear. And we couldn't wear makeup until we had that one whole day of "playing beauty shop" and afterwards we could wear no less than eye shadow, mascara and lipstick or some such stupid $h!t.

tntmondy
06-11-08, 06:53 PM
I remember the make-up class. I thought they were teaching us to be made up to look like hookers!!! The lady who taught the class was older than dirt. (or at least I thought so at the time.)

Artemis
06-11-08, 07:14 PM
Ha ha ha when I went the Drill Instructors taught the makeup class. Still the colors that are allowed are ones that I would never wear.

sparkie
06-11-08, 09:45 PM
Hi, lil Sis,,, took all that chit to bring you out,,,,,,,, Love ya, Babe......

Artemis
06-11-08, 10:08 PM
Hi, lil Sis,,, took all that chit to bring you out,,,,,,,, Love ya, Babe......

Yeah it took me that long.........what's it to ya?

Sally
06-12-08, 08:30 AM
If you want to look good for graduation and family day, yes you can have your family send you your beauty supplies. But that is still up to your drill instructors. Some companies actually do allow you to keep those unnecessary things which really ****ed me off when I saw it. I really hope you don't go to November company, *whisper...theyre the princess company*. Everything will be issued, anything else you all will buy your supplies with the platoon. Just clothes on your back girl and you should be fine.

Backblast
06-12-08, 09:17 AM
There ARE smart ones,,,guess you found out,LOL.:beer:

Yeah she took one look at the mosquito wings on my collar and realized that dating a boot PFC from 1st Marines would be a grave error. :sick:

:flag:

davblay
06-12-08, 10:15 AM

I have always felt that there was a reason I fear WMs, now I am sure that they must have an extra session in MCMAP to cover dealing with male Marines!

I challenge any Marine to compare a dressing down you'd get from a Female Marine, with that of a Male Marine.......those WMs will kick your ass I don't care what your rank is, or thiers for that matter! Personally, I'd rather take on a platoon of Male DIs than one Female DI!

But, yeah you people are right, everything you need will be provided for you.

Semper Fi

Dave

Backblast
06-12-08, 10:41 AM
I have always felt that there was a reason I fear WMs, now I am sure that they must have an extra session in MCMAP to cover dealing with male Marines!

I challenge any Marine to compare a dressing down you'd get from a Female Marine, with that of a Male Marine.......those WMs will kick your ass I don't care what your rank is, or thiers for that matter! Personally, I'd rather take on a platoon of Male DIs than one Female DI!

But, yeah you people are right, everything you need will be provided for you.

Semper Fi

Dave

Yeah, I had the great misfortune running into a female MSGT at SOI. I was LCPL and just returning from the MCRE. I stopped at SOI to grab some chow because the food at Horno sucked. I was just out of the field, barely had the paint of my face and my boots were still a little dusty (my mistake)

She saw me cross Basilone road on foot. I ranged her at about 50 meters. Out of no where I heard the voice of the devil. "Hey, Marine!" I keep walking cause I am not a boot. My cammies were salty and sun bleached, she must be yelling at a Private. All of a sudden the ground shakes "HEY MARINE! GET THE *&^% over here NOW!" It turned out she was talking to me.

She put me at parade rest and proceeded to inspect my uniform. Mind you this was happening in the middle of Basilone Rd. Traffic was stopped as she tore into me for coming on to SOI in field regs. She ripped the laces out of my boots and told me to buy new ones now. Then she took the chevrons off my collar and threw them into the street. "Too shiney," she said. Then she proceeded to grind my chevrons into the asphalt with her perfectly spitshined boots. She ordered me to the PX to fix myself or she was going to call the 1st Marine Regiment SGT Major. I never moved so fast in my life as I sprinted to the PX to correct myself.

I have been Afghanistan and other combat zones but I think I feared her more than any enemy encountered. She lit me up better than any DI ever did. I felt like a big S*ITBAG. I was properly squared away next time I went to SOI.

WMs are among the finest that Marine Corps has.

Sally
06-12-08, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I had the great misfortune running into a female MSGT at SOI. I was LCPL and just returning from the MCRE. I stopped at SOI to grab some chow because the food at Horno sucked. I was just out of the field, barely had the paint of my face and my boots were still a little dusty (my mistake)

She saw me cross Basilone road on foot. I ranged her at about 50 meters. Out of no where I heard the voice of the devil. "Hey, Marine!" I keep walking cause I am not a boot. My cammies were salty and sun bleached, she must be yelling at a Private. All of a sudden the ground shakes "HEY MARINE! GET THE *&^% over here NOW!" It turned out she was talking to me.

She put me at parade rest and proceeded to inspect my uniform. Mind you this was happening in the middle of Basilone Rd. Traffic was stopped as she tore into me for coming on to SOI in field regs. She ripped the laces out of my boots and told me to buy new ones now. Then she took the chevrons off my collar and threw them into the street. "Too shiney," she said. Then she proceeded to grind my chevrons into the asphalt with her perfectly spitshined boots. She ordered me to the PX to fix myself or she was going to call the 1st Marine Regiment SGT Major. I never moved so fast in my life as I sprinted to the PX to correct myself.

I have been Afghanistan and other combat zones but I think I feared her more than any enemy encountered. She lit me up better than any DI ever did. I felt like a big S*ITBAG. I was properly squared away next time I went to SOI.

WMs are among the finest that Marine Corps has.

That is scary. Horno is a place to be for females.

Backblast
06-12-08, 10:48 AM
That is scary. Horno is a place to be for females.

I think Horno needs WMs to keep us Grunts in check.

Sally
06-12-08, 10:51 AM
I think Horno needs WMs to keep us Grunts in check.

We all know what most of the females who have regular visits to Horno are doing.

Backblast
06-12-08, 10:58 AM
I never got regular visits and I was a stud. I think it had more to do with being on the far side of Horno towards the hills.

Sally
06-12-08, 11:00 AM
I never got regular visits and I was a stud. I think it had more to do with being on the far side of Horno towards the hills.

It has more to do with all the other guys scaring the females away.
One walks in, and everyone wouldn't quit staring.