PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo may have ruined my chances

Afollrod08
06-08-08, 01:01 AM
So I thought that you could have a tattoo anywhere as long as the PT gear covered up, so I went out and got "What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity" on my chest and its kinda high but its low enough to be covered by the PT shirt. Well I told me Recruiter so I could get a waiver and he said "Well let me see it" and when he did his mouth dropped. So I asked him whats wrong, its not like it says something bad. He told me that the tattoo policy is that it cant show while wearing the Khaki shirt without the white shirt under it. He is going to find an old Khaki shirt of his thats really small so take the picture but he wont tell me what will happen if it doesnt cover it.

I thought someone on here would let me know so I can prepare my self for what he is going to tell me later on this week.

Thanks,

Adam

Tiny90
06-08-08, 03:09 AM
basicly... either your screwed, or nothing will happen.

But you're a dumbass for getting a Tatt before boot.:)

Wyoming
06-08-08, 04:19 AM
I gotta admit, the Big Oaf got this one right!

You screwed up! You thought? Jeez, with which head?

If I were to answer, on here, like I would tell you to your face, I would be banned for life!!

Dave is gonna be sooooo proud of you!!

Oh yeah, your tattoo and signature, What We Do In Life, Echos In Eternity!, sure rings true.

Dumazzdipshiz!!!

Marine84
06-08-08, 06:42 AM
It's not the tattoo's fault doofus! YOU may have just ruined your chances by getting the tattoo.

davblay
06-08-08, 07:46 AM
Dave is gonna be sooooo proud of you!!

Adam, Adam, Adam......I wonder which DAVE he is talking about? I have only two questions for you son;
1) Why didn't you contact me first?
2) Why get one in the first dam place?

It's not like it would have been long distance to call me, and you could have gotten my number out of the phone book or asked my relatives for it, there on that mountain!

I only have one suggestion Adam, before you do anything else to your body, ask me first, will ya? I'd hate to see a perfectly good Marine prospect be turned down because you THOUGHT it would be ok!

I will be in touch in a day or so, to look at it myself.

Dave

SGT7477
06-08-08, 07:55 AM
Live and Learn.

devildog21345
06-08-08, 09:07 AM
One question When do you wear a khaki shirt without a tshirt?

Old Marine
06-08-08, 09:23 AM
One question When do you wear a khaki shirt without a tshirt?

Used to wear khaki shirt when you pulled Mess Duty, but I have never heard of wearing any uniform shirt without a skivey shirt.

Do Marines still pull 30 days of Mess duty??????????

hrscowboy
06-08-08, 10:00 AM
Nopr no more mess duty is what i have been told

jrhd97
06-08-08, 10:05 AM
As Bigal would say.....................................

I love it, wait here it is................................................

GO ARMY !!!

HurricaneRJ
06-08-08, 10:06 AM
So I thought that you could have a tattoo anywhere as long as the PT gear covered up, so I went out and got "What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity" on my chest and its kinda high but its low enough to be covered by the PT shirt. Well I told me Recruiter so I could get a waiver and he said "Well let me see it" and when he did his mouth dropped. So I asked him whats wrong, its not like it says something bad. He told me that the tattoo policy is that it cant show while wearing the Khaki shirt without the white shirt under it. He is going to find an old Khaki shirt of his thats really small so take the picture but he wont tell me what will happen if it doesnt cover it.

I thought someone on here would let me know so I can prepare my self for what he is going to tell me later on this week.

Thanks,

Adam

Dude you should have asked first if it was ok. Once you hit the fleet you can get a tattoo anywhere you want (literally). I'm getting a few coming soon. I never heard putting on a Khaki shirt without the white Tee under it. It was always PT gear, and if you got one under your forearm, it couldn't be bigger than the palm of your hand.

I think you should be alright.

BR34
06-08-08, 10:08 AM
I've seen tons of officers wear Chucks with no white shirt or ribbons.

Afollrod, you still have options. Tattoo removal. I had to have a tattoo removed from my neck before I could get in. I looked at it as an investment.

Old Marine
06-08-08, 10:09 AM
Nopr no more mess duty is what i have been told

Are you telling me that they took away the great experience of doing 30 days in the pot shack, standing over a cut in half 55 gal drum full of water with fumes from the burner underneath choking you for thirty days. The Corps must be getting soft...

HurricaneRJ
06-08-08, 10:28 AM
The Corps must be getting soft...

That is a whole nuther subject. As long as we still two things, the Marine Corps will never be soft.

1. Win Battles
2. Make Marines

Also, for you future Marines. If you get hazed like I did. Don't put up with it, you learn nothing from getting your ass beat, no Marine has the right to put his hands on you. The Corps is cracking down on it hard. Report it as soon as possible, it only stops until you say something.

Zulu 36
06-08-08, 11:06 AM
While I don't fully agree with the current Marine Corps policy regarding tattoos, I still fail to understand why people persist in getting tattoos then acting surprised when the powers-that-be get annoyed.

I also don't understand why so many poolees and wannabes absolutely possess such an unremitting desire to be tattooed with nonsense before boot camp. It impresses no one, most especially drill instructors.

mattlw201
06-08-08, 11:34 AM
Your recruiter should have told you not to get a tatoo after you get in dep. My recruiter did. Yours probably did to but you were being a dip**** and didnt listen.

usmchauer
06-08-08, 12:51 PM
What We Do In Life, Echos In Eternity!

Hopefully your tattoo artist knew how to spell echoes correctly!

sec9
06-08-08, 01:19 PM
If one were to get a tattoo, where would be the safest place to get it to avoid any trouble?

Zulu 36
06-08-08, 01:38 PM
If one were to get a tattoo, where would be the safest place to get it to avoid any trouble?

How about you don't get one at all and never have to worry about it.

HurricaneRJ
06-08-08, 02:11 PM
Your recruiter should have told you not to get a tatoo after you get in dep. My recruiter did. Yours probably did to but you were being a dip**** and didn't listen.

Look even if he was told not to get a tattoo, and he still got one. It's is his choice, he is a grown man. The only reason recruiters tell you not to get one is, because there is a lot of paper work involved.

My suggestion to anyone is this. If your going to get a Tat that is not a moto tat, then get it now. Get it on your back, chest, or high upper arm. Anywhere else is a no go.

BR34
06-08-08, 02:58 PM

Put it on your scrotum. No one will look there. If they do: Don't ask, don't tell.

Afollrod08
06-08-08, 03:37 PM
For the replys. I know I screwed up but another Recruiter (not mine) said I can have anything as long as its covered with the PT shirt. I have others and he said it when I had to put the PT shirt on to show that they all covered. My Recruiter was standing right there when he said it and didn't say anything. Now, my new one is covered by the PT shirt like I said but my Recruiter said that the policy is "has to be covered by the Khaki shirt with no skivey shirt on under it" soooo I don't know whats going to happen.

I probably should have waited but I have 4 free tattoos at this shop thats close by. I have 3 more free ones. So it was just really hard to pass the chance up. I found out I had the free ones and got this one the night of.

Ohhh and by the way, its ok, I spelled it wrong on my Signature but its spelled right on my chest hahaha

FistFu68
06-08-08, 04:18 PM
:evilgrin: WITH THAT CHIT ALL OVER YOU,DOES THAT MAKE YOU SUM KIND OF BADAZZ? DUMB FUCING MOVE,THAT INK DOES NOT MAKE A MAN;OR A MARINE!!!:evilgrin::iwo:

Afollrod08
06-08-08, 04:44 PM
:evilgrin: WITH THAT CHIT ALL OVER YOU,DOES THAT MAKE YOU SUM KIND OF BADAZZ? DUMB FUCING MOVE,THAT INK DOES NOT MAKE A MAN;OR A MARINE!!!:evilgrin::iwo:

No, it doesnt make me a badazz or a man or a Marine. For me, Tattoos are the most honest form of expression.

I think that maybe most of the Marines on here that are downing tattoos dont have any. Some of you that just say that it was a bad move probably have one or some but the ones that are saying things about not getting ink at all don't like them or have something against them. Trying to explain why someone gets a tattoo is like trying to explain what an orange tastes like. You don't know until you have one. They are more addicting than smoking, I could always quit smoking but not getting tattoos, well, that is, until i have no more room for them haha.

Zulu 36
06-08-08, 05:01 PM
What are you planning on doing with your life after the Marine Corps? Not all employers are happy to hire the tattooed-man from the circus.

You indicate you want to be a 5811. MPs are expected to set an example in dress and deportment. Do you want to be a civilian police officer afterward? Many police agencies frown on excessive tattoos just like the Marine Corps does now.

Personal expression is just like whiskey and religion, fine in moderation.

HurricaneRJ
06-08-08, 05:24 PM
I plan on getting multiple tattoos while in the Marine Corps. What I will do is wait until I get out, to get my sleeve done. There is nothing wrong with tattoos by all means. Tats don't make you hard or badass, it's just another way of expressing yourself.

Besides, the new khaki rule is brand new, I never heard of it. You won't were your Chucks without a white Tee under it.

FistFu68
06-08-08, 06:02 PM
:evilgrin: HA-HA MY AZZ,YOU HAVEN'T EVEN MADE IT TOO OR THROUGH BOOTCAMP YET!!!YES I HAVE INK,BUT I WASN'T A KNUCKLEHEAD;TOO GET IT BEFORE I WENT IN.GOOD LUCK ANYWHO,'CAUSE YOU'R GONNA FRIGGING NEED IT.:D:iwo:JUST MY WAY OF HONESTLY EXPRESSING MYSELF.(LMFAO)

Haffner
06-08-08, 09:12 PM
I think this thread should be closed, personally. Whenever a tattoo thread appears, it's a mix of Marines, poolees and friends mistaking their opinions for fact and fact for opinions.

The topic of tattoos on this website is on equal standing with the never ending debates of religion and politics.

I will say this: there is a specific guideline for tattoos, per Marine Corps order. I must now adhere to it, as does everyone else from now on. If you did look into it before you got your tattoo(s) then the fault is upon yourself and yourself only.

Even if you disagree with the policy, as ones such as myself do, it really doesn't change a thing: that's what the CMC says, and god damnit, who am I to not do his bidding? I signed my life away to do so.

Semper Fi

HurricaneRJ
06-08-08, 09:17 PM
Agreed.

Just want to say Congrats Cpl.

ldouce90
06-08-08, 09:20 PM
Didn't your recruiter make you sign a contract stating that you wouldn't get any piercings or body art done until after you were in? I know mine did...

Sgt0331
06-08-08, 09:31 PM
I guess it has been along time since I was in, but Khaki shirts without a T-shirt underneath just looks dumb in my opinion.

The whole tattoo debate rages on, I can remember some of better SNCO's I served under having lots of tatt's or even sleeves. As long as it is not gang/ racist I don't have a problem with them. I also waited until after my first real world deployment before getting one as well.

Should have waited brother, but I hope it does not affect you getting in.

Haffner
06-08-08, 09:39 PM
Thanks, Hurricane. Appreciate it, brother.

We can at least all agree on one thing:

cookies taste delicious. Make this thread about cookies? Yay or nay?

Esprit
06-08-08, 09:43 PM
Had a girl in my DEP who wanted the title bad enough she waited a year to get it removed and is now a Marine.

Afollrod08
06-08-08, 09:47 PM
Didn't your recruiter make you sign a contract stating that you wouldn't get any piercings or body art done until after you were in? I know mine did...

No he didn't

Afollrod08
06-08-08, 09:56 PM
What are you planning on doing with your life after the Marine Corps? Not all employers are happy to hire the tattooed-man from the circus.

You indicate you want to be a 5811. MPs are expected to set an example in dress and deportment. Do you want to be a civilian police officer afterward? Many police agencies frown on excessive tattoos just like the Marine Corps does now.

Personal expression is just like whiskey and religion, fine in moderation.

Oh I know, you're correct but all of mine can be covered by a T-shirt and I havent met many police officer's or Marines on duty not wearing a shirt, have you? So with that I dont see why the CMC cares, I understand that he is trying to up hold the Marine Corps Image but honestly, the image I think of when it comes to Marines is Marines I know that are covered in Tattoos, why does he care that we have them before but not after???

Haffner
06-08-08, 10:00 PM
End this, end this! It will only cause hate and discontent. There is a policy: ENOUGH SAID. This is coming from a lover of tattoos; a Marine with many, many hours under the tattoo needles. That is all that needs to be known. There is no gray area.

ExPISCDI83
06-08-08, 10:14 PM
I used to wear a V-neck skivey shirt since the crew necked ones would look all stretched out and messed after a few wearings. It looked like I wasnt wearing one. I survived 7 years, 9 months and few days in the USMC without getting 1 tattoo. I had heard of too many people thinking it was a cool idea to do when young, but regretted it when they got older. I guess the new thing these days are piercings. Back in the day, I would have completely flipped-out if a recruit showed up with them, or even a hole where a piercing would go. ~~~

On another note: No more mess duty????? What's the world coming too?

Haffner
06-08-08, 10:18 PM
Marines: all you're doing is creating a division between yourselves and the new generation of poolees. Respectfully, this thread should die here.

Afollrod08
06-09-08, 02:06 AM
Marines: all you're doing is creating a division between yourselves and the new generation of poolees. Respectfully, this thread should die here.

I would close it my self right now if I knew how, I didn't know it would get this out of hand haha.