PDA

View Full Version : Guantanamo Is a Model Prison (Really)

thedrifter
06-04-08, 08:45 AM
Guantanamo Is a Model Prison (Really)
By MARK H. BUZBY
June 4, 2008; Page A19

There is much talk in the media, in our capital and elsewhere about the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. I have paid close attention to this dialogue, and after a year in command, it is clear that there are two Guantanamos: the one that exists in popular culture, and the one most discover when they actually see conditions there.

We house enemy combatants in one of several facilities according to their compliance with camp rules. Highly compliant detainees, approximately 20% of the population, live in Camp 4. Here they enjoy a communal, barracks-style environment, with movie nights, classes in Pashtu, Arabic and English, shared meals and prayers, and up to 12 hours of recreation per day.

Many of the enemy combatants, however, fail to comply with established rules. Offenses often include head-butting, kicking, biting and splashing young soldiers and sailors with feces and urine "cocktails."

These detainees are housed in Camps 5 and 6 – modern, climate-controlled facilities modeled after existing U.S. prison facilities in the Midwest. They get a minimum of two, soon to be three, hours of outdoor recreation per day adjacent to three to five other detainees. And they are held in a block of single-occupancy cells where they communicate with other detainees, guards, medical staff, library assistants and mail delivery personnel. Prayers are led five times a day by a detainee-appointed Imam. Each cell contains an arrow that points to Mecca.

All detainees receive three-meals per day, a 4,000-calorie diet selected from six different menus that meet the halal cultural dietary requirements, and which provide for special needs such as low sodium, vegetarian or diabetic. We provide comfort items including sheets and bedding, uniforms, shoes, prayer beads, prayer rugs, toiletries and bottled water. Each detainee is issued a Quran in Arabic and one in his native language. An ever-expanding, 5,000 volume library is available for a weekly choice of reading material.

Detainees sent and received more than 27,000 pieces of mail last year. In addition to humanitarian phone calls, which have long been permitted, we allow annual phone calls to family members. Last year, more than 1,200 attorney visits were conducted. Suggestions that detainees are being held "incommunicado" are simply not true.

Medical-care standards afforded to detainees are the same that my troopers receive. Access to treatment is 24/7, with a detainee-to-medical-staff ratio of three-to-one that far exceeds Federal Bureau of Prison standards, and is frankly better than what most Americans enjoy.

Joint Task Force doctors have performed more than 370 surgeries, including restorative eye procedures, and a recent back surgery that restored movement and avoided possible paralysis for a detainee. Shortly after, that detainee sent me a note saying "Thank you, I have been wrong about Americans."

Our mental health facility, staffed by a variety of mental health-care professionals, includes a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Approximately 15% of our detainees are seen for such issues on a regular basis, about half the average experienced in the U.S. prison population.

We enjoy a very positive relationship with the International Committee of the Red Cross. Its professionals have access to all detainees and facilities, and they provide us with useful and supportive confidential comments and suggestions – which have helped in furthering the development of our detention programs.

An important part of the Guantanamo story routinely underreported by many in the media – but readily apparent to most who visit – is the dedication and professionalism exhibited every single day by the more than 2,200 soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, Coast Guardsmen and civilians who provide for the safe and humane care and custody of very dangerous men.

Regardless of what international opinion says, my troopers perform their mission honorably, professionally and to a level that would make any American proud. I had the very great privilege of leading these sons and daughters of America; that is the Guantanamo I know.

Rear Adm. Buzby was commander of Joint Task Force Guantanamo from May 2007 until last week.

Ellie