PDA

View Full Version : Only son

NickPowell52
06-04-08, 08:20 AM
I know that the only son issue was a big one in the armed services a while ago, but does this effect issues today? I guess what im trying to say is, I dont want my chances of being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan or any hostile enviroment diminished due to the fact that I am a only son, i want to serve my country the best I possibly can, and i dont want the "only son " issue to pop up

What is the opinion from the Marine Corps Community?

NicholasITALY
06-04-08, 08:41 AM
Sorry, but what is this "Only Son issue" ?

amarine0311
06-04-08, 09:22 AM
No policy is in effect.

Parker-0321
06-04-08, 09:23 AM
Won't matter.

Besides, no Marine is an only child. Once you earn that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor you gain brothers and sisters around the world.

usmchauer
06-04-08, 09:30 AM
I believe there was a policy, but it was in regards to "sole surviving son", which is a bit different than only child. There was a thread discussing this several months ago.

ggyoung
06-04-08, 01:17 PM
The Sullivan act is what your are thinkg about. Only a few people know that was not passed by congress. No such thing. The sole surviving son is also a no such thing. Now down to the nitty gritty of this. I am a only child. The DOD during a policy of not sending troops like me to Vietnam. I however went and so did every Marine like me went. In my case two times.

NickPowell52
06-06-08, 08:04 AM
Thank you all for responding to my question, it helped answer it quickly and efficiently, I ship out July 7th to MCRD Parris Island, can't wait to earn my eagle globe and anchor.

davblay
06-06-08, 10:24 AM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/deploymentsconflicts/a/solesurviving.htm

That link should help you out,

Dave

joecoul89
06-28-08, 01:19 AM
i think the only song thing he is refering to might be what "Saving Private Ryan" was about. its a similar situation, since Ryan was the last son alive, they tried to get him home. then again this was a movie and im not really sure.