PDA

View Full Version : Will I get to jump

waitingtobe
06-02-08, 09:34 PM
Firstly I would like to say the opportunity to become a Marine brings me much pride. I was wondering as a supply and accounting Marine would there be an opportunity for me to jump/air assault since every Marine is a rifleman. My family and friends like the idea of me being behind a desk, but being a tough as nails Marine is my true ambition. Thanks to anyone who may take the time to read this.

Smitty Puffs
06-02-08, 09:39 PM
Nope.

You'll practice fast roping and rappelling like every other Marine at boot camp and MCT, but you wont be jumping out of any airplanes.

CJ Haynes
06-02-08, 09:40 PM
Firstly I would like to say the opportunity to become a Marine brings me much pride. I was wondering as a supply and accounting Marine would there be an opportunity for me to jump/air assault since every Marine is a rifleman. My family and friends like the idea of me being behind a desk, but being a tough as nails Marine is my true ambition. Thanks to anyone who may take the time to read this.

Well....if that's what you really want to do, then why do you want to be a Supply/Accounting Marine? If I was you and wanted to be jump/air assault Marine, I'd ask my recruiter if I could have my MOS changed (if possible). :D

mattlw201
06-02-08, 09:40 PM
From any MOS you can try out for Force Recon. These guys are tougher than nails. Look up their indoc. program.

Smitty Puffs
06-02-08, 09:43 PM
Nevermind your right. Any MOS can make a lateral move into Recon as long as a commander approves it. My bad.

waitingtobe
06-02-08, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replys fellas, I'm not eligible for a clearance must less a secret security clearance. So that would make Recon impossible. FYI for anyone wanting to go Recon... those guys are tough as nails but most dont make it, this is especially so for those going from civilian strait to trying out for recon.

Smitty Puffs
06-02-08, 10:28 PM
The smart ones are already aware of this.

rvillac2
06-02-08, 11:23 PM

uh...negative.
Anything is possible when you reenlist, though.

BR34
06-03-08, 05:39 AM
You need to join the Army. That's your best bet at Air Assault/Airborne training.

Marine84
06-03-08, 07:21 AM
I never could figure out WHY ya'll want to jump from a perfectly good airplane!

Old Marine
06-03-08, 08:03 AM

Beat me to it 84.

amarine0311
06-03-08, 08:47 AM
Oh Yeah!!! We have all heard of the "Recon Accountants". Every Marine is a rifleman first, but not every Marine is tough as nails. This is your career not your parents. Grow up. Change your MOS if that will please you. If you think you will get recon walking in fresh from the streets, guess again. Go back to your recruiter and have a long talk...

Motorola07
06-03-08, 01:12 PM
Oh Yeah!!! We have all heard of the "Recon Accountants". Every Marine is a rifleman first, but not every Marine is tough as nails. This is your career not your parents. Grow up. Change your MOS if that will please you. If you think you will get recon walking in fresh from the streets, guess again. Go back to your recruiter and have a long talk...

Exactly what I was going to say. Its your life, you will live with it for next 4 years. Do what you want to do, not your parents.

MyCorps
06-03-08, 01:44 PM
<TABLE id=post359462 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_359462 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b5b1b1 1px solid">Motorola07-
If you have any questions about MCRD SD Please ask. I was on Depot for 28 days. Feel Free to PM me.

What happened? Only at boot 28 days?

<!-- / sig --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b5b1b1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b5b1b1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #b5b1b1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b5b1b1 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fcf5f5">http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/buttons/report.gif (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/report.php?p=359462) </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b5b1b1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b5b1b1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #b5b1b1 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b5b1b1 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1stRad2671
06-03-08, 03:40 PM

Extra pay so long as you hold a jump billet.

waitingtobe
06-03-08, 03:52 PM
I agree with you on the, "walk off the streets and get recon," bit. As with any elite forces, civilians rarely got what it takes. I have no intrest in joining the Army, besides I have done the preliminary swear in and am on an open contract until my ship date. Just wanted to get an idea of some of the cool and fun stuff Imight be able to do with my mos field. Thanks again to all the responces.

Smitty Puffs
06-03-08, 05:07 PM
As far as your MOS goes, I couldnt imagine you doing much "cool and fun" stuff. Unless fun to you entails paperwork and number crunching. Seems to me you picked a job without doing much research into it.

ecfree
06-03-08, 07:19 PM
Hey Pool(ee)you'll be jumpin when your DI says,how high,and how much.:evilgrin:

Marine84
06-03-08, 07:34 PM
As far as your MOS goes, I couldnt imagine you doing much "cool and fun" stuff. Unless fun to you entails paperwork and number crunching. Seems to me you picked a job without doing much research into it.

He may get all the girls. How much fun is that going to be for your a$$?

Smitty Puffs
06-03-08, 07:43 PM
He may get all the girls. How much fun is that going to be for your a$$?

Getting poon has never been a problem as a civilian, I dont think its gonna be too tough as a Marine.

Either way, id rather be getting no poon in a job I love then getting all the poon in the world in a job I hate.

BR34
06-03-08, 08:04 PM
id rather be getting no poon in a job I love then getting all the poon in the world in a job I hate.

You are a ****ing retard too.

To the original poster. Check your contract. Supply and Accounting also has a couple of airframe repair/maintenance type jobs in it too. You could very well get one of those.

Smitty Puffs
06-03-08, 08:12 PM
You are a ****ing retard too.

To the original poster. Check your contract. Supply and Accounting also has a couple of airframe repair/maintenance type jobs in it too. You could very well get one of those.

Haha not really. Have a nice day.

sparkie
06-03-08, 08:31 PM
Oh, Groan,,,,,,, Take the playstation away from this kid. Seen so many poolees wantin a fight. Re-spawn don't work. Grow up,

Smitty Puffs
06-03-08, 08:47 PM
I understand sir. Im not picking any fight here. I know what happens to poolees who go around looking for fights. Doesnt get them anywhere but into a pit of bad news.

sparkie
06-03-08, 09:13 PM
I didn't concern myself with your comments,,,,, I was just thinkin out loud. Seen a lot of poolees who want combat. Stupid, sad, and immature all at the same time. Ain't no free ride in the hole. Small difference between excitement and shet. Nuthin personal, Smitty.

amarine0311
06-03-08, 10:24 PM
Haha not really. Have a nice day.
Wow! Smitty check the attitude. Remember, your a guest in our house.

Marine84
06-04-08, 07:30 AM
Point being Puffy - don't knock another MOS ESPECIALLY Admin! Somebody has to keep up the paper trail on you while you're in. Don't be all big headed and $h!t about what MOS you'll be in - something could happen and they move your a$$ to Supply OR, even worse (in your book), Admin!

Phantom Blooper
06-04-08, 08:48 AM
For you smart azz poolies you may not get to jump.....but keep running your suck and you may get pushed!:evilgrin:

Smitty Puffs
06-04-08, 09:10 AM
Point being Puffy - don't knock another MOS ESPECIALLY Admin! Somebody has to keep up the paper trail on you while you're in. Don't be all big headed and $h!t about what MOS you'll be in - something could happen and they move your a$$ to Supply OR, even worse (in your book), Admin!
My apologies m'am. I meant no disrespect.

Quinbo
06-04-08, 04:12 PM
While attending HRST school during the SPIE portion of the training we were told we could do it as many times as we wanted but only had to do it once. We were being graded on how well we rigged the bird and applied the proper knots etc. anyway. Most of us only did it once but we had plenty of volunteers. The volunteers came out of the offices. We rigged them up away they went. Even office clerks get to do cool stuff in the Marines ;)

jetdoc
06-05-08, 08:18 AM
Getting poon has never been a problem as a civilian, I dont think its gonna be too tough as a Marine.

Either way, id rather be getting no poon in a job I love then getting all the poon in the world in a job I hate.

Let me help you out on this, if you want the perfect job, (MOS), AND get all the poonanie you can handle, then you only have one way to go,

Air Wing!!! :cool: Don't listen to all of these grunts, they are just bitter because they slept in a hole in the ground and ate dirt filled chow, lol. We slept in hotels, (or worse case, in an AirForce barracks), and ate great chow. :banana:

amarine0311
06-05-08, 08:45 AM
Ha Ha HA!

Oh how I hate you right now!!!

Semper Fi!

Marine84
06-05-08, 09:31 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You tell 'em Jetdoc!

mikeab84
06-05-08, 02:07 PM
I'm with Marine84 on this one. Although, I do see myself trying for the combat diver mos later on in my career (Why would I dive off a perfectly good boat, though?).

I was told that jump and dive school are closed to admins, is this true?

sparkie
06-05-08, 06:38 PM
Airdale or jump??????? I'd rather jump. Gimmie a cliff.

jetdoc
06-06-08, 10:03 AM
Airdale or jump??????? I'd rather jump. Gimmie a cliff.

Airdale is a squid term....we Marines use, Air Winger!!!!

:D

davblay
06-06-08, 10:35 AM
The man asked a legit question and got washed down by a bunch of EXPERT poolees!

LMFAO!

Big Jim
06-06-08, 10:48 AM
The man asked a legit question and got washed down by a bunch of EXPERT poolees!

LMFAO!

Don't you just love it, Dave? The Poolies of today know everything...hell they're doing US the favor by gracing us with their superior knowledge and experience! It's rare that I see a Poolie on here who just shuts the hell up and listens to what the information and things they need to know!!! It would be a welcome change to see the Poolies have the utmost respect for what they're being taught and for the people who are trying to teach them. That's what I did when I was a Poolie. When did this change, brother? Anymore I get the feeling they're just taking it all for granted.

amarine0311
06-06-08, 10:52 AM
Oorah!! Big Jim.
Some poolees just don't know when to shut up.
Good call, Brother.

Semper Fi

AL49BGN
06-06-08, 11:21 AM
:thumbup:Well put Jim!

sparkie
06-06-08, 11:21 AM
Airdale is a squid term....we Marines use, Air Winger!!!!

:D
It was a Chair Farce thing,,,, but it still applies,,LMAO. :tank:

kbs95125
06-06-08, 11:22 AM
Yeah you will get to jump.... a lot

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4285150/2/istockphoto_4285150_jumping_jacks.jpg

sparkie
06-06-08, 11:24 AM
So true,Kyle,,So true

Quinbo
06-06-08, 07:41 PM
Ok responses from poolees in the poolee hall get haranged. Why do we even have the poolee hall if poolees aren't allowed to freakin respond? Anyone who notes a mistake or false information given by a poolee in a response should take the time to provide the correct information. Anyone who just browbeats and otherwise talks down to a poolee who provided the correct information needs to stand down.

jackson07
06-08-08, 09:05 AM
Just to add a little more. Get into an Angelico unit. I know admin Marines in one that jump. After time most of the unit is on jump status. Be a get into a radio batallion and join the radio recon platoon. Or be a RECON Marine. Or be a 0451.

If you want more info on these use google or the board search function. It is all out there.

waitingtobe
06-08-08, 01:24 PM
I want to take this time to thank you all for your infomative responce. I especially thank the Marines, with the real Corp experiance, for their time and giving me advice and direction. That is not to take away from the poolees that helped out with thier research rooted information. You all clarified what I wanted to know.

KevinR90
06-08-08, 06:46 PM
Corp is actually Corps.

I'd say if you want to jump, join the army. Just tryin' to get this back on topic.

jackson07
06-09-08, 08:49 PM
Corp is actually Corps.

I'd say if you want to jump, join the army. Just tryin' to get this back on topic.

If he wants to be a Marine and find a way to jump school I provided many ways for him to do so.