PDA

View Full Version : 'Dream come true': Teens awarded $150K

thedrifter
06-02-08, 01:06 PM
Published: June 01, 2008 09:47 am

'Dream come true': Teens awarded $150K

BY SHERI McWHIRTER
smcwhirter@record-eagle.com

GAYLORD -- Two northern Michigan teenagers are off to college after earning hefty military scholarships.

Joseph DeFelice, 18, of Gaylord and Juston Weis, 18, of Ellsworth received $150,000 scholarships from the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps for four years of college and will then join the U.S. Marine Corps as commissioned second lieutenants.

They scored well on national standardized tests and passed tough physical fitness requirements to have all tuition, books, fees and lodging paid for while they earn their degrees, said Staff Sgt. John Wodkowski of the Marine Corps recruiting office in Gaylord.

"It's kind of a dream come true. I've got college, I've got the Marine Corps and I've got a way to stay fit in college. No worries about the freshman 15," DeFelice said.

DeFelice will attend Marquette University in Milwaukee to study computer science. He graduates today from St. Mary Cathedral School in Gaylord. After college, he wants to be an infantry officer, he said.

"I'm not going to choose the Marine Corps or college. I'm going to have both," DeFelice said.

Weis will attend Eastern Michigan University to study aviation and flight technology, although he wants to transfer to the University of Michigan. He graduated Friday from Ellsworth High School and wants to become a military pilot after college.

"I'm looking forward to experiencing new things. Ellsworth is pretty small, so I want to get out and experience some of the world, another good reason to join the Marines," Weis said.

The full-ride scholarship will help him pursue his goals, he said.

"It's going to set you up for life. A lot of people leave college with thousands in debt. But we'll be out free and clear and making money in the Marines," Weis said.

Both DeFelice and Weis graduated with small senior classes -- DeFelice among 27 students and Weis among 18 -- and are both anxious for the "big school experience."

DeFelice played football and baseball while in high school, was elected vice president of his class and was involved in a drama group called the Cathedral Players.

Weis was vice president of his school's National Honor Society and played four sports while in high school: football, basketball, track and cross-country.

Both teens will consider a military career in the Marines, they said.

Ellie