PDA

View Full Version : Serial numbers?

Pages : [1] 2

silverdollar
06-01-08, 10:26 AM
I have been out of the Corp for a few years now but I heard something that I never heard of and it is hard to believe. Someone told me that the Marine Corp went from using serial numbers to using SS#s, Is this true, if it is, who is the moron responsible for that.

davblay
06-01-08, 10:29 AM
I have been out of the Corp for a few years now but I heard something that I never heard of and it is hard to believe. Someone told me that the Marine Corp went from using serial numbers to using SS#s, Is this true, if it is, who is the moron responsible for that.

I rekon they've been doing that since the mid 70s Sgt! I think it was DODs idea!

Dave

bigdog43701
06-01-08, 11:15 AM
right...jan '02 went to ssn...everyonw still remember thier service #?

vmfn513
06-01-08, 11:45 AM
Doesn't that lead to ID theft? My ssn is not available to anyone. I hope! Had one brush with stealing my Credit Card No. lucky I caught it early on the
1st use. I try to be very careful with my SSN....too much at stake with that
number. The DOD must have had their collective heads up their own Azzs.

Zulu 36
06-01-08, 12:13 PM
Doesn't that lead to ID theft? My ssn is not available to anyone. I hope! Had one brush with stealing my Credit Card No. lucky I caught it early on the
1st use. I try to be very careful with my SSN....too much at stake with that
number. The DOD must have had their collective heads up their own Azzs.

I heard rumors that DoD is re-thinking issuing serial numbers again just because of the ID theft problem.

And I still remember mine, but not telling. :D

hrscowboy
06-01-08, 01:25 PM
Gentlemen in 1971 while stationed at eltoro after returning from Nam they changed our service numbers to our SS because we all had to get new ID cards. I mean everyone got new ID cards

usmchauer
06-01-08, 01:33 PM
As I recall, if your name was on some type of roster that had the potential to be seen by a large number of fellow Marines they only used the last 4 of your social. Orders always had your full social though, another reason not to lose them!

Native Warrior
06-03-08, 09:05 AM
The latest I've heard on this issue is that DOD will be taking the SSN off ID cards and replacing it with a service number. Their ssn will still be used to record and/or track a Marine's service.

ggyoung
06-03-08, 10:32 AM
If anybody thinks that there SSN# is safe they had better think again. With all of the computers in the world and all the hacking going on everyday your SSN# is always out there in the cyber world.

hrscowboy
06-03-08, 12:35 PM
I have just been informed the reason for what was done because some of you southern boys could not remember the serial numbers so they changed it to our SS the worst i guess was the boys from Tenn...

davblay
06-04-08, 04:45 PM
I have just been informed the reason for what was done because some of you southern boys could not remember the serial numbers so they changed it to our SS the worst i guess was the boys from Tenn...

Actually the DOD finally realized that those GOAT ROPERS in Kansas have trouble walking across the road and chewing buble gum at the same time, so they made it easier for them to remember the SSN.

FNG, thinks he knows it all......

Old Marine
06-04-08, 05:08 PM
My service # started with 14 and I retired in 1973. We used to be almost able to figurfe when a guy enlisted by his service #, but California boys always got a bigger number because more of them enlisted back then.

silverdollar
06-24-08, 10:05 AM
Fifty four years ago my ser# was 1485912.:marine:

Ed Palmer
06-24-08, 02:13 PM
Mine was 1583xxx Feb 1956

bucksgted
06-24-08, 03:16 PM
Mine was 1597xxx, 20 FEB 56, MCRDSD, Plt.138

Old Marine
06-24-08, 03:40 PM
Mine was 1583xxx Feb 1956

Ed,

How does it feel to be a boot.:D

bucksgted
06-24-08, 04:15 PM
Ed,

How does it feel to be a boot.:D

Weelllll, guess that could apply to "this Ed" also. Seems I'm always the boot.
When I was promoted to Sgt on 6/01/58, I was given hell for being a slick sleeve buck Sergeant also. We had PFCs with more hash marks than I had stripes. :D:D

Old Marine
06-24-08, 04:36 PM
Weelllll, guess that could apply to "this Ed" also. Seems I'm always the boot.
When I was promoted to Sgt on 6/01/58, I was given hell for being a slick sleeve buck Sergeant also. We had PFCs with more hash marks than I had stripes. :D:D

Dont feel pregnant Ed. I was a Buck Sgt. for ten years Sgt E-4 and Sgt E-5. I was also Acting Sgt for some time. I had to request D.I. School so I could make rank. Retired an E-7 which was the highest rank available when I joined, so I feel I achieved my goal. Would have maybe made E-8 and E-9, but had a family problem with my daughter who had leukemia. She had a doctor by the name of Lt. Moorer who's favorite uncle was Thomas Moorer, former CNO and I had orders for NAM that were cancelled because of a call from the Admiral. I was left at MCRD, SD and retired at 20 years.

A Major at HQMC sent a speed letter and wanted me to take a hardship, I suppose so that they would not have to pay the retirement. This fiasco took about a year to get settled.

I had been a D.I. for close to six years and I think they had lost my record. When my daughter got sick I went to my SgtMaj and informed him that I had always done what the Marine Corps wanted, but that my daughter was not expected to live and I was expecting orders. The SgtMaj stated that its not what you did yesterday its what you can do today. Which is BS. He sent a message to HQMC and they issued me orders for NAM. The rest is history.

sparkie
06-24-08, 04:53 PM
Right about it changing in 1971,,,, mine was 2546239. Indoced outta Cleveland, and on to PI.
I am a draft dodger, however, never did sign up. Graduated HS, and shipped out at 17. You think they are looking for me? My DD-214 has a place for a draft#, and draft board location,,,,, it shows,N.A.
Guess what I made my son do on his 18th?

salt
06-24-08, 05:49 PM
Looking for mbrs of Platoon 315 Apr54............RonE. 1459798.........CWO-3, USMC(Ret). MCRD-SDiego.

foxman
06-24-08, 06:12 PM
You Ole farts have sure brought back memories. In April 65 I was coming out of The Navy Annex headed back to Henderson Hall and who do I meet , Gen Wallace M. Green. I saluted said Good Morning Sir and he returned my Salute and said " PFC What is your Serial Number?" Why I did it I'll never know. I said ,"Sir I don't have a Serial Number, Weapons and Vehicles have Serial Numbers, My Service Number is 2177527. He said Carry on and I did. When I got back to Henderson Hall The Top called me on the intercom and I reported to his Office. He asked me if I had seen The Commondant and I said yes sir I did. He asked me if I told him I didn't have a Serial Number, that Vehicles and weapons had serial numbers. I told him yes sir that's what I said. The Top reached in to his desk drawer and threw Lance Chevrons at me and said, " Well you little smart ass , you must have impressed him. Get these sown on before dark. Won't ever forget that.

bucksgted
06-24-08, 08:00 PM
Ya know, this thread strikes me as kinda funny! I can just see some of the younger folks in here rolling their eyes when they hear us old farts talk about crap that went on in our day. Having said that, I would hope some of them would pay attention to some of the history being recorded here. For the most part rank was a son of a ***** to attain. I wasn't kidding when I said we had PFCs with more hash marks than I had stripes. I know now that I just got lucky and had the right MOS, in the right location and at the right time. My shop Gunny (Tech Sgt) was an old Ordy and was not ashamed to admit that he didn't know crap about electronics or radar. He was very vocal to our CO about his short comings and was quick to say to the CO that I knew my sh*t and was teaching the rest of the shop. Aaaah, Opa Locka! The best liberty town going. Sooo close to Miami Beach and all those women just couldn't wait to spend their money on young Marines!!

CplKJSpevak
06-29-08, 08:01 AM
Well, I'm young (compared to you guy's anyway):) and I love hearing the old stories. absolutely love it. As far as rank is concerned, my friend (who by the way,I met because he was the SNCOIC of my recruiting station when I was 18) retired a Master Gunny, He also sponsored my MCL membership for the det. (that he founded), We were having the conversation about promotions over some beers at last meeting. He said it was all about timing, He joined in '76 when alot of people were getting out after NAM. He was Sgt. in 26 months....keep the stories coming...respectfully, Kevin

kentmitchell
08-31-08, 06:30 PM
I feel like a boot .. . . 1640XXX, Oct. 56, Parris Island, Platoon 377

semperfiman
08-31-08, 09:28 PM
2702372==== 1970 changed to ssn in 1971 or 72 a little fuzzy now

Sheila Hays
09-04-08, 05:33 PM
The Women Marines had a serial# with a W in front of it. Semper Fi LadyM59 Sheila Hays

CHOPPER7199
09-15-08, 11:57 AM
Yep, Old Days, 4 Hash Marks, 1 Up. Ha Ha, Hmm, Me 1 Up, Remember The Days. Lmfao. That Old Gunny Was A Man. Chesty Would Have Loved Him.

Robert Browell
09-15-08, 03:41 PM
Yup,mine was 2241###,I'd be more likely to forget my mother's name,than I would my service number! According to the numbers, I'm a boot too!:yes::banana::yes:

Sheila Hays
09-15-08, 04:00 PM
My serial # started with a W711***. Thats about it. Those dog tags up against the skin always gave me a rash. Semper Fi Sheila Hays:usmc:

sparkie
09-15-08, 05:45 PM
Let me take care of that rash,,,,a lil lotion and TLC,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL.

Sheila Hays
09-15-08, 08:16 PM
Thanks, but no thanks, the only time I wore them was when I was in Boot camp. Yes, cortisone creme takes care of rashes. Where were you when I came down with the measles? Now that's a story all in itself. Semper Fi Sheila Hays:usmc::yes:

pnwhite
09-16-08, 07:25 AM
Well, my service # was 1957XXX and I was in MCRD SD in February 1961 in Platoon 313. After AIT(?) I came back to San Diego for Aviation Radar Training. As for rank, I spent 2 Years 11 Months and 28 days active duty and finally made E-4, just 2 months before being released from active duty. I was stationed at MCAS Beaufort and when I finally made E-4, my section WO talked to me and showed me that he had put me in for meritorius E-3 and E-4, but my promotions had gone to Marines up at Lejeune. I was really looking forward to E-4 because there was some type of extra pay which would make me "rich" (about $150/month), but they cut it out just before I got my promotion and I actually took a pay cut. So much for incentive! I can't remember now, but I think I ended up making about $120/month as an E-4. This will probably get some responses - as an E-1 in boot camp, we made $78/month. How much do they make today?

jerry pattison
09-16-08, 07:47 AM
Hello All

2510--- Here Nov 5 1968 P.i.

Semper-fi Always

ggyoung
09-16-08, 10:46 AM

Sheila Hays
09-16-08, 01:46 PM
In reply to how much money we made, as a Pfc. $83.50, as a LCpl I made $99.37, as a Cpl. I made $122.50. We ate alot of taco's, sometimes we had a date and went to dinner. The reason we never got back to the chow hall, because you had to log into your barracks and log out. I thought I was rich, I have no idea what they make money wise now. I was stationed at MCRD San Diego. Semper Fi Sheila Hays:usmc::yes:

Sheila Hays
09-16-08, 02:01 PM
We had to bring $33.00 with us to Boot Camp, and we were paid $78.00 as Pvt. Sheila Hays:usmc::yes:

vmfn513
09-16-08, 06:27 PM
Our SN's were six digits and we were paid $50.00 a day once a month (Pvt). Complain and get your TS slip punched by the Chaplin, among other good things.

sparkie
09-16-08, 06:31 PM
What is the pay scale now???//

ggyoung
09-16-08, 06:43 PM
$50.00 a day? What Marine Corps was that?

sparkie
09-16-08, 06:46 PM
1 day a month,,,,,,,,,,,Get with the program, Marine.

Zulu 36
09-16-08, 06:48 PM
In reply to how much money we made, as a Pfc. $83.50, as a LCpl I made $99.37, as a Cpl. I made $122.50. We ate alot of taco's, sometimes we had a date and went to dinner. The reason we never got back to the chow hall, because you had to log into your barracks and log out. I thought I was rich, I have no idea what they make money wise now. I was stationed at MCRD San Diego. Semper Fi Sheila Hays:usmc::yes:

I guess I'd better stop grousing about only making $143/mo as a private. :marine:

sparkie
09-16-08, 06:59 PM
To remember,,,, Wish I could,,,,,,:beer:

montana
09-16-08, 08:32 PM
2516671 ...boot camp plt no 3030...ITR Lima Co....and cant remember the pay

Sgt Jim
09-16-08, 08:45 PM
mine was 261####

pnwhite
09-16-08, 09:04 PM
Montana - Now that you mention it, it was ITR and (believe it or not) I look back on that time as one of the favorite times in my life. I know it was only 30 days, and memories of it are kinda fuzzy,...

pnwhite
09-16-08, 09:10 PM
For another memory- Anybody ever see a "drumming out"? I participated in one while I was in Electronics at MCRD. It's something you'll never forget. General Krulak was the base commander while I was there. During an inspection once, he complimented me on my appearance. This was right after we changed from brown shoes and visors to black, and I think I was the only Marine out there that day that he was taller than! (so he could see my visor)

Misfire
09-16-08, 09:18 PM
Mine was 1369696 March 53 Semper Fi

Misfire
09-16-08, 09:21 PM
Plt 95 5th bn MCRD SC, Semper Fi

Robert Browell
09-17-08, 09:31 AM
That's CRS Bro', I've got it too!!!! I do remember me and a buddy figuring out how much we were makin'an hour! As PFC's it worked out to about 13 cents an hour!:yes:The reason for such a "high" wage,was overseas duty pay and hazardous duty pay! This is based on a 24 hr.work day, 'cause we just couldn't get the gooks to agree to a 40 hr.work week:banana:LMFAO
To remember,,,, Wish I could,,,,,,:beer:

jinelson
09-17-08, 09:50 AM
2424xxx Nov 1967 no problem remembering it, its tatoo'd on my right arm. hrscowboy told me I would never forget it that way.

Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/froglaffing.gif

Old Marine
09-17-08, 10:18 AM

Back then, $50.00 went a hell of a lot farther than it will today.

skipper72
09-17-08, 10:35 AM
Mine was 138XXXX and, later, O73XXX.

SgtThrasher
09-17-08, 11:06 AM
215xxxx September 1965.Never will forget it.I wonder if the Geneva
Convention rules was changed to name,rank and SS number.I liked the service number system better and you could tell who had seniority.

ggyoung
09-17-08, 11:32 AM
pnwhite on the drumming out it seems like they used a certin color of shirt or jacket for each of the bad discharge. Is this rite or not?

pnwhite
09-17-08, 09:20 PM
Well I only saw one, and although it didn't take long, we were at attention the whole time. We were formed up on the parade ground, centered on the main gate. I heard although I don't know if it was...

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 09:42 PM
I heard Steve McQeen was drummed out of Pendleton. Not sure no proof just a rumor I heard, and as far as serial numbers someone posted 02 as going to SSN's, it was mine in 89.

Zulu 36
09-18-08, 06:19 AM
Some old-timers I served with at Lejuene said the last guy drummed out at Lejuene was arrested by the Onslow County Sheriff the moment he stepped foot off base property - for Vagrancy. But, that had...

pnwhite
09-18-08, 08:23 AM
About Steve McQueen - that brings up a sore point with me. Back in the 50s and 60s, when I was in uniform, it was a very HUGE disgrace to be discharged from the military (not just the Marine Corps,...

Robert Browell
09-18-08, 10:46 AM
When I joined we werent all "Volunteers", but even the few draftee's that I knew,considered a less than Honorable discharge,as the worst possible thing that could happen! But the ones that I knew...

Sheila Hays
09-18-08, 11:53 AM
I never saw anyone drummed out of the Corps. I've been on Parris Island and MCRD San Diego, I've visited Twenty-Nine Palms, El Toro, and Camp Pendleton. My nephew was a GSgt. stationed at Camp Pendleton, since he was in the Corps for twenty years, I'll have to ask him about it. That Marine must have done something really bad that they would drum him out of the Corps. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

pnwhite
09-18-08, 12:52 PM
Bob, in my haste to "unload", I didn't mean to question the dedication of either the draftees or volunteers. (I was a volunteer that was going to get drafted! So rather than be a doggy if I got...

Robert Browell
09-18-08, 02:39 PM
Brother,I took the oath 1/31/66! There is a process to upgrade a bad discharge if it is unjust! I remember a potential employer who told me "that because I was an honorably discharged Vietnam combat...

Sheila Hays
09-18-08, 03:25 PM
I took the oath on Sept.11, 1959, I received an Honorable Discharge on Nov.9,1962. When I applied for a job, I always had my DD214 with me. I could get two jobs in the same day. The best one was...

pnwhite
09-18-08, 07:17 PM
First off - Bob, if you were here now I would give you a big hug. And I would say very sincerely "Thank you." The war was very controversial - and guess what - it still is. I grew up believing in the domino theory, and for those who make fun of "our" (my generation) for believing that way, they don't know their history. I was against the war - I won't deny it. I had two brothers who served in it. My older brother pulled two tours over there, but he was an officer in the Army. Flew L-19 spotter planes the first tour and was a helicopter pilot the second tour, but ended up being the Company XO. Never got in a helicopter while he was there. My younger brother was stationed in Japan at the time in the Air Force and flew in and out of Nam almost daily until being assigned to operate a teletype machine in Japan. (what a switch!) I was lucky to have sweated it out during the Cuban Missile Crisis, but being stationed at MCAS Beaufort, we really wanted to go (to Cuba). Looking back, how dumb can a group of guys get??? Anyway, this bullsh_t floating around now that if you don't support the war, your against the guys over there fighting. Once again I say bullsh_t. I am against all war that doesn't have any meaning and if it has meaning, I think we should fight it and not namby-pamby around the question. We should have sent everything we had into Afghanistan and kicked some ass and then got out. The reason I say you can be against the war and not be against the guys fighting it is that you and I had no say (have no say) when it comes to strategies, manpower needs, logistics and etc. We are just told to go and fight and that's that. It is the Bushes and Odiornos and whatever his name is that was just promoted, that call the shots and it appears that they aren't doing a very good job of calling. The same thing went for Viet Nam, Korea, Somalia, Beirut, and on and on. Those generals and Commanders in Chief have lost sight of what it is they took an oath of office for. Sometimes I even wonder if they took an Oath. As for Poor George, I think he's doing a pretty good job,,,,,,for someone with an IQ of 90.

Robert Browell
09-19-08, 07:27 AM
I couldn't agree more, Brother,and I always accept hugs from my "Brothers and Sisters" Semper Fi Marine :flag:
First off - Bob, if you were here now I would give you a big hug. And I would say very sincerely "Thank you." The war was very controversial - and guess what - it still is. I grew up believing in the domino theory, and for those who make fun of "our" (my generation) for believing that way, they don't know their history. I was against the war - I won't deny it. I had two brothers who served in it. My older brother pulled two tours over there, but he was an officer in the Army. Flew L-19 spotter planes the first tour and was a helicopter pilot the second tour, but ended up being the Company XO. Never got in a helicopter while he was there. My younger brother was stationed in Japan at the time in the Air Force and flew in and out of Nam almost daily until being assigned to operate a teletype machine in Japan. (what a switch!) I was lucky to have sweated it out during the Cuban Missile Crisis, but being stationed at MCAS Beaufort, we really wanted to go (to Cuba). Looking back, how dumb can a group of guys get??? Anyway, this bullsh_t floating around now that if you don't support the war, your against the guys over there fighting. Once again I say bullsh_t. I am against all war that doesn't have any meaning and if it has meaning, I think we should fight it and not namby-pamby around the question. We should have sent everything we had into Afghanistan and kicked some ass and then got out. The reason I say you can be against the war and not be against the guys fighting it is that you and I had no say (have no say) when it comes to strategies, manpower needs, logistics and etc. We are just told to go and fight and that's that. It is the Bushes and Odiornos and whatever his name is that was just promoted, that call the shots and it appears that they aren't doing a very good job of calling. The same thing went for Viet Nam, Korea, Somalia, Beirut, and on and on. Those generals and Commanders in Chief have lost sight of what it is they took an oath of office for. Sometimes I even wonder if they took an Oath. As for Poor George, I think he's doing a pretty good job,,,,,,for someone with an IQ of 90.

Sheila Hays
09-19-08, 12:07 PM
My family was involved in every war since the Spanish American War, my Grandfather was there. World War 11, my Dad Army, my Uncles were Army and Navy. Vietnam two brothers, the oldest was in the Navy, the youngest in the Air Force. The Iraq scituation, nephews, one in the Army, Air Force, and the best of all one Marine, the Gunny. Now I just cry because my first born grandson will be sent over to Iraq, he joined the Army. He tried to join the Corps, but he was rejected because he had asthma when he was younger. They wouldn't give him a waiver, now he is a tanker. He was twelve and only had one attack. He's at Fort Irwin now, waiting to be deployed. I was the only other Marine in the family. Please pray for all those young men and women, who are over there in Iraq. God Bless. Semper Fi :usmc::flag: Sheila Hays:tank:

akosmatka
10-21-08, 12:18 PM
my number was (is) 2020956

Sheila Hays
10-21-08, 01:26 PM
My number was W711***. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

rickyracer
10-23-08, 02:02 AM
I joined 02-1977

And we used SS numbers.

I think if you have a less than Honorable on your DD214 you can work for a company that has any goverment contracts.

Sheila Hays
10-23-08, 11:36 AM
They (The Marine Corps) issued us service numbers W711***, I'm glad they did. I wouldn't want to have my SS# used. I don't know why they changed to SS#. The W was because we were Women Marines. Semper Fi Sheila Hays:usmc::flag: :angel:

JimEnglish
10-26-08, 06:59 PM
They used SSN's when I was in - 76-80. In fact, they used to encourage everyone to engrave your SSN on personal property, such as stereos. Back then, ID theft was non-existant.

salt
10-31-08, 11:40 PM
Boot...Mine was 14597989Rapid City, South Dakota

FistFu68
11-01-08, 02:07 AM
:usmc: THE "USMC" HAS SERVICE NUMBERS-NOT SERIAL NUMBERS :usmc: :iwo:

Chamorro
11-01-08, 04:58 AM
Jul 1966 - Nov 2008 Ser# 2144322.

Alpha1Devildog
11-01-08, 06:18 AM
Last but not least. . . . #2380178

BigPhil
11-03-08, 07:46 PM
1961---1928---

ecfree
11-03-08, 07:53 PM
:usmc: THE "USMC" HAS SERVICE NUMBERS-NOT SERIAL NUMBERS :usmc: :iwo:

Hey Bro,I was givin a Serial # at PI in '61...

Chuckiejoh
11-07-08, 10:37 AM
2211764, Parris Island, March 1966

moonspinner
11-07-08, 12:14 PM
Mine was 1964288 MCRD 1961

rayh
11-10-08, 09:18 PM
Mine was (and still is forever) 1656371 1957

03grunt11
11-19-08, 08:16 PM
my service # 123456789 I went bootcamp 1987

LanceCpl
11-23-08, 01:04 PM
Mine was 1964288 MCRD 1961
PI or SanDiego? Mine is 1976*** SanDeigo Sept 1961.

ecfree
11-23-08, 08:27 PM
From the land that makes Marines,Nov.'61..1972***...
Plt 288.MCRD Parris Island,S.C.

USMCmailman
11-23-08, 09:05 PM
When I joined the finest military organization in the World, in 1967, I was issued a service number. It was 2371997. When I came back to the World in 1969 from the Big Puddle,it had been changed to my SS#. Some damn civilian thought of that !!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Hey Ed (ecfree), How the hell are you !?

ecfree
11-23-08, 09:17 PM
Hey Charley,hangin in there bro...one day at a time..:beer:

USMCmailman
11-23-08, 09:30 PM
God Bless You !---and pass me a Beer will ya ?:marine::yes:

mikecain1
11-24-08, 01:46 AM
1971 was the year , i had gotten my serial number and then had to go to a ssn shortly after

silverdollar
11-25-08, 08:13 AM
My serial # was 1485912 May of 1954.

FistFu68
11-25-08, 11:13 AM
:usmc: SERIAL OR SERVICE-SERVICE OR SERIAL-DAM IT WAS AN HONOR EARNING THE EAGLE,GLOBE @ ANCHOR!!!YUT YUT DEVIL DOG SEMPER FI OOHRAH :beer: :iwo:

chollamoon
11-27-08, 10:28 PM
In Jan. '55, mine was 1539xxx

chollamoon
11-27-08, 10:32 PM
Jan. '55, mine was 1539xxx. (Great State of Alabama)

cw2533
01-09-09, 09:01 AM
Mine was 181**** in 1958 < great state of louisiana>

BigPhil
01-11-09, 01:46 AM
Mine was 192

Misfire
01-15-09, 07:48 AM
March 53 136++++

hvmech
01-15-09, 10:31 AM
Mine was 2172XXX in '65 and I made PFC out of Boot Camp and made a whopping $101.50 a month................

cw2533
01-17-09, 12:03 PM
When I got out of boot camp I made $79.00 a month. Ser #1817

ELLIOTT813
01-30-09, 10:50 PM
Dec. 21, 1961 *******1946---, PI

mcrdsddi74
02-05-09, 03:12 PM
SILVERDOLLAR, I WAS A UNIT DIARY CLERK IN 1973 AND HAD TO CHANGE ALL MY GUYS SSN'S TO MSN'S. WE DO WHAT WE DO.:evilgrin:

VettBass
02-15-09, 05:42 PM
1809*** 1959

cball
02-22-09, 07:32 PM
147**** may 1954 PI ...

390 Mach I
03-05-09, 09:28 PM
Errrm:
My "Serial Number" was my SSN '86-'90.

385xxxxxx

Now you know where I was born!

AlwaysWillBe
04-08-09, 02:08 PM
22xxxxx Aug. 1966.
Got out Aug. 1970 just as they started to issue SSN's

Anyone remember betting $$ on eagle squirt day according to the serial number on your pay chck?? As in a poker hand??

silverdollar
04-09-09, 08:32 AM
22xxxxx Aug. 1966.

Anyone remember betting $$ on eagle squirt day according to the serial number on your pay chck?? As in a poker hand??

We did not get a check, we were paid in cash.:marine:

Zulu 36
04-09-09, 09:12 AM
22xxxxx Aug. 1966.

Did it almost every payday (when not paid in cash or MPC).

AlwaysWillBe
04-09-09, 09:26 AM
We did not get a check, we were paid in cash.:marine:

I was State side from 1/69 till I got out 8/70. Always got a check then. Don't think they had "direct deposit" back then :D
Can still remember waiting in line on pay day for MPC in Danang.
:iwo:

Sheila Hays
04-10-09, 06:45 PM
My Serial number was W711***, we were paid in cash. Sempers, Sheila Hays.:usmc::flag:

salerswife
04-13-09, 04:14 PM
My husband join the Marines in 1975 and his service number was his SS number. so it has been in effect for quite some time.

Sheila Hays
04-14-09, 06:34 PM
I have given my serial # so many times. In 1959 it was W711***. Semper Fi, Sheila Hays

johnry
04-14-09, 08:34 PM
was in the wing at eltoro in 71. all our records and id had both

Skosh59
05-13-09, 11:23 AM
186xxxx 1959

SSgt Ramsey
05-15-09, 09:54 AM
I can't remember where I seen it, but I want to say there is a fairly recent Maradmin directing RAPIDS to stop using SSN's as identification and placing them on ID cards in the future.

I never liked that our information was pretty much available to anybody and that all of our administrative and legal documents were tied to our SSN's.

I think also that I read, maybe I misunderstood, but there's a Federal Law that says that a persons SSN can't be used as a identification means...it's only to be used for pay and taxation purposes etc.

gys
05-15-09, 10:46 AM
142XXXX Alabama, PI 1953

marinecorpsmike
05-15-09, 11:38 AM
215xxxx April 1965

NoRemorse
05-15-09, 11:52 AM
...I think also that I read, maybe I misunderstood, but there's a Federal Law that says that a persons SSN can't be used as a identification means...it's only to be used for pay and taxation purposes etc...

I don't have a supporting link but I believe that's the case also, SSgt. We've got a lot of different entities moving away from using SSN for identification.

Union backed benefit plans for health care are still lagging behind, and a lot of state backed benefits like Medicare/Medicaid HMO's require a social.

The ID number for a Medicare patient is still a Social Security number with an alpha prefix or suffix.

Skosh59
05-15-09, 05:35 PM
I can't remember where I seen it, but I want to say there is a fairly recent Maradmin directing RAPIDS to stop using SSN's as identification and placing them on ID cards in the future.

I never liked that our information was pretty much available to anybody and that all of our administrative and legal documents were tied to our SSN's.

I think also that I read, maybe I misunderstood, but there's a Federal Law that says that a persons SSN can't be used as a identification means...it's only to be used for pay and taxation purposes etc.

Here is a link (http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs10-ssn.htm#10)that I found relating to the use of SS numbers, it may be of some help.

SSgt Ramsey
05-15-09, 05:43 PM
I'm sure I ****ed off my local courthouse when I submitted my concealed weapons permit form sans SSN and also blacked out my SSN in my DD214 I provided them :D

If it comes back disapproved, I'm going to go see Mr Lawyer about discrimination and wrongful denial because I didnt' use my SSN.

I'm not a felon, I'm a retired member of the US Armed Forces, and I have no outstanding warrants...

Skosh59
05-15-09, 06:31 PM
I live in Fl. & have submitted forms for background checks using my drivers lic. num and blanking out the ss field. They came back approved. I haven't tried a concealed weapons permit but did purchase a shotgun w/o ss#.

skipper72
06-12-09, 08:08 AM
Mine were 138XXXX
and 073XXX

Zulu 36
06-12-09, 08:26 AM
I'm sure I ****ed off my local courthouse when I submitted my concealed weapons permit form sans SSN and also blacked out my SSN in my DD214 I provided them :D

If it comes back disapproved, I'm going to go see Mr Lawyer about discrimination and wrongful denial because I didnt' use my SSN.

I'm not a felon, I'm a retired member of the US Armed Forces, and I have no outstanding warrants...

They don't need an SSN to check for outstanding warrants. All that is needed is your full name, race/gender, DOB. The SSN is helpful to rule you in or out if warrants come back on someone with the same name (a fairly frequent event actually).

But that is where fingerprints are the most determanative (if the guy with warrants has prints on file). With fingerprint files so heavily digitized these days, it is quite easy to rule people in or out as wanted or as convicted felons. Not foolproof, but much easier than it used to be (which was also not foolproof).

Sheila Hays
06-12-09, 01:23 PM
Here's my serial # W711***, not my social security #. I'm glad they didn't have us use it. Semper Fi Sheila Hays:flag::angel:

Wheels123
10-07-09, 09:21 PM
I noticed the question about current pay was not answered yet. But these days a Pvt is making $1399.50 a month.

You can also see the current pay chart at this link:

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2009MilitaryPayTables.pdf

salt
10-07-09, 09:59 PM
:flag::flag:

salt
10-07-09, 10:03 PM
Skipper: I became a temp in 1966 and you? Subsequently became LDO (01) and retired 1974. Enlisted Ser#145 Off: 066

sparkie
10-07-09, 10:05 PM
:flag::flag:

Happened in 1972, I think.

Mine was 2546438,,,,,,,,, Also my password to this site.
So if any of you brothers wanna fuk with me,,,go for it. But I trust my Brothers. :beer:

salt
10-07-09, 11:00 PM
Skipper: My Enl was 145 and O 066 I was a Temp (1966) and subsequently selected for LDO) and retired 1974. What path did yopu take?

kfisbusy
10-08-09, 01:24 AM
:evilgrin::banana::yes:I joined in 72 and my ss# was my sevice number until I got out in 79 ssgt.Francisco.

Wyoming
10-08-09, 07:37 AM
Skipper: My Enl was 145 and O 066 I was a Temp (1966) and subsequently selected for LDO) and retired 1974. What path did yopu take?

Skipper72 doesn't play here anymore.

He took his ball and went home.

Sheila Hays
10-09-09, 08:22 PM
My serial number was W711***. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Rooger
10-10-09, 08:32 AM
I can't remember where I seen it, but I want to say there is a fairly recent Maradmin directing RAPIDS to stop using SSN's as identification and placing them on ID cards in the future.Not sure about this, But it does seem plausible.

I never liked that our information was pretty much available to anybody and that all of our administrative and legal documents were tied to our SSN's.I don't either!!!!!!

I think also that I read, maybe I misunderstood, but there's a Federal Law that says that a persons SSN can't be used as a identification means...it's only to be used for pay and taxation purposes etc. This Is true, It's stated CLEARLY in the SS Act itself, and they keep violating it!

Just another example of how our Govt. Keeps making end runs around the constitution!

Rooger
10-10-09, 08:55 AM
I can't remember where I seen it, but I want to say there is a fairly recent Maradmin directing RAPIDS to stop using SSN's as identification and placing them on ID cards in the future.Not sure about this, But it does seem plausible.

I never liked that our information was pretty much available to anybody and that all of our administrative and legal documents were tied to our SSN's.I don't either!!!!!!

I think also that I read, maybe I misunderstood, but there's a Federal Law that says that a persons SSN can't be used as a identification means...it's only to be used for pay and taxation purposes etc. This Is true, It's stated CLEARLY in the SS Act itself, and they keep violating it!

Just another example of how our Govt. Keeps making end runs around the constitution!
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=78&p_created=955482891&p_sid=-7xXf3Kj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9NjksNjkmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZ wX2N2PTEuMTYmcF9wYWdlPTI*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Rooger
10-10-09, 08:57 AM
The Social Security Number is NOT to be Used for Identification

Had to have mine re-issued and thats what it says on the page you detach the SSN card from

Zulu 36
10-10-09, 11:10 AM

Hate to break it to ya, but this is not a Constitutional Law issue in the strictest sense.

There is no Constitutional authority to create the Social Security system in the first place, however, it would seem there isn't much Constitutional prohibition to it either.

So, everything to do with Social Security has been created by Congressional Acts. If one law says SSNs can only be used for such-and-such, but another statute says they can also be used as military service numbers, then where is the Constitutional problem?

These social security number use laws were created before computers became as prevalent as they are now and as heavily used for government, personal, and corporate financial information transfer. It just wasn't a foreseeable problem back in 1972 when the military stopped using serial numbers.

But then, a lot of federal laws end up having "unforeseeable" consequences.

denlog1
10-30-09, 05:14 PM
Mine was 2088xxx MCRD Platoon 392 Dec. 1963 to Mar 1964

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
10-30-09, 07:27 PM
1657xxx

EGA1957
10-30-09, 10:21 PM
Mine was 180XXXX in Aug/57 at PI. There were no 17XXXXXs in my Plt. It was either 169s or 180s only. Were 17XXXXs MCRDSD?

Sheila Hays
11-01-09, 09:42 PM
My serial number was W711***, there I put it down for the fourth time. W is for woman. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

denlog1
11-01-09, 11:48 PM
Semper Fi Sheila. What was the time frame of your hitch in the Corps?

Sheila Hays
11-02-09, 02:11 AM
I joined the Marine Corps on Sept.11 1959, graduated from Bootcamp on Oct.23rd 1959. I was Honorably discharged on Nov. 1962. I was stationed at MCRD San Diego, my MOS was 4011 Data Processing. ...

OLE SARG
12-27-09, 10:06 AM
My serial number was 1964xxx ----- bootcamp in July 1961 at MCRD, San Diego.

SEMPER FI,

Sheila Hays
12-30-09, 08:50 PM
My serial # was W711*** The W was for women. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Roger Shepherd
12-30-09, 09:32 PM
I went in 1978 they use the SSN. I don't think that was a good idea. And that was not because I was from Tennessee lol

sparkie
12-30-09, 09:53 PM
2546439,,,,,,,,,,,Today was Elvis B-day,,,,,,, I can forget that. My service number,,,, I cannot.

SgtHMH
12-30-09, 10:18 PM
Ya but don't you all remember a few years back the guy from the VA that lost his Laptop with a whole lot of people records on it. There were WW2, Korea, Nam all era Veterans on this and the guy from the VA lost it. So Serial, Service or SSN does not matter.

Semper Fi

micarr57
01-01-10, 08:27 PM
was social security number when i was active 1975-79

micarr57
01-01-10, 08:29 PM
they used to use it for id on orders name rank and ssn

EGA1957
01-01-10, 10:05 PM
While Googling about SSNs and USMC service number usage, it seems the USMC service number BEGAN at 20001.

Along with that tidbit, the earliest for SSN-in-place-of-service-number authorization appears to be some time in '72.

An earlier post I had on here about the use of the 1700000 series got no responses, but the URL I looked at:
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Service_number_(United_States_armed_forces)
indicates the block may have been "reserved" for WMs (and then possibly never utilized).

I'm not quite sure if "full" SSNs are still used, but when I go to the VA my SSN is redacted to the last 4 digits in sign-ins and correspondence.

Misfire
01-02-10, 11:25 AM
:flag::usmc::iwo: My # was 136++++ March 1953 MCRDPI SC Plt. 95 Semper Fi

MontezumaCpl
01-02-10, 01:31 PM
Ya but don't you all remember a few years back the guy from the VA that lost his Laptop with a whole lot of people records on it. There were WW2, Korea, Nam all era Veterans on this and the guy from the VA lost it. So Serial, Service or SSN does not matter.

Semper Fi

In 1981 mine was the SSN, was always printed on my Orders. And Yes, I remember that fiasco about the lost VA info. I got a letter from the VA, so did my dad saying that the info was not compromised. Then I heard that theres some kind of pending Class Action Suit against the VA for info that was stolen, i.e identity theft. :evilgrin:

Sgt Robert Hunt
01-02-10, 03:12 PM
Well, mine was 1386xxx. Not that it would do anybody any good, I don't think. We was swore in, in Dallas, TX. A good feeling while riding the train to San Diego. But, all HELL broke loose for a few weeks after we got there...............However, it made a better person out of me. Money couldn't buy my experiences.
Semper Fi
Platoon 93
Feb.1953

P.S. Rifle number anyone?

marine38
03-24-10, 01:00 AM
You say you were in the Corps but you don't know how to spell Corps? I doubt it. But like the other Marine said, we went from serial # to SSNs in the 70s as I recall. Semper Fi -

semperfiman
03-24-10, 03:45 PM
my warrant fol l/cpl in 1972 both ser.# 2702372 and ssn xxx-xx-xxxx they were in the middle of the change over you might not see a number much higher than that

Zulu 36
03-24-10, 07:04 PM
my warrant fol l/cpl in 1972 both ser.# 2702372 and ssn xxx-xx-xxxx they were in the middle of the change over you might not see a number much higher than that

My first three were 272xxxx

Sheila Hays
03-24-10, 08:59 PM
My serial # was W711***, I joined 1959. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Sheila Hays
03-24-10, 09:04 PM
My serial #'s were W711***, the W is for Woman. I joined in 1959 and they were still using serial numbers when I was discharged. Semper Fi Sheila Hays <br />
I was discharged in 1962.

bucksgted
03-24-10, 10:39 PM
:flag::usmc::iwo: My # was 136++++ March 1953 MCRDPI SC Plt. 95 Semper Fi

Misfire, there is no way you could have been a Corporal (E-4). Given your dates of service in our beloved Corps, I can believe Sergeant (E-4).

Some one in this thread said it very nicely - - trucks and rifles have serial numbers, I had a service number!! My service number is 159++++. Dates of service 20 FEB 56 to 19 FEB 60.

Semper Fi,
Ed

Misfire
03-25-10, 12:31 PM
Hey SGT. I Might Have the grade # wrong But I was a CLP. whe I waqs in the Corps and I did enter Boot Camp In March 3 1953. and left the corps in 1956 Any thing else you want. 1 THING THAT I WONT DO IS SAY SOMETHING THAT I DID NOT DO WHILE IN THE CORPS SEMPER FI

fmoyer
03-25-10, 02:53 PM
service number 185**** issued in 57 do not remember any 170*** those just ahead of me 160****.

lastcigar
03-25-10, 03:09 PM
227xxxx. Enlisted in April 1966, Chicago

Sheila Hays
03-26-10, 08:47 AM
W711*** service # or whatever, I still have one of my dogtags. It's all metal, it made me break out in a rash when ever I wore them. I had to put cream on my chest. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

kenrobg30
03-26-10, 02:10 PM
My cerial No. was 109**((m. Do I get a prize???:evilgrin: S/F Ken

EGA1957
03-27-10, 08:46 PM
service number 185**** issued in 57 do not remember any 170*** those just ahead of me 160****.
Here's what I found in an earlier post I made:

While Googling about SSNs and USMC service number usage, it seems the USMC service number BEGAN at 20001.

Along with that tidbit, the earliest for SSN-in-place-of-service-number authorization appears to be some time in '72.

An earlier post I had on here about the use of the 1700000 series got no responses, but the URL I looked at:
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Service_number_(United_States_armed_forces (http://wapedia.mobi/en/Service_number_(United_States_armed_forces))
indicates the block may have been "reserved" for WMs (and then possibly never utilized).

I'm not quite sure if "full" SSNs are still used, but when I go to the VA my SSN is redacted to the last 4 digits in sign-ins and correspondence.

bucksgted
03-28-10, 01:36 AM
Hey SGT. I Might Have the grade # wrong But I was a CLP. whe I waqs in the Corps and I did enter Boot Camp In March 3 1953. and left the corps in 1956 Any thing else you want. 1 THING THAT I WONT DO IS SAY SOMETHING THAT I DID NOT DO WHILE IN THE CORPS SEMPER FI

Misfire, I'm not giving you a bad time. You're like me - - a misfit in todays world of Marines. I was given my avitar by a kind soul in here or I would have been like you. Sometimes it's tough to get folks to understand that you and I held the rank and all of its responsibilities - - we just didn't get the benefit of their pay grade/pay raise.:marine:

Old Marine
03-28-10, 09:46 AM
Misfire, I'm not giving you a bad time. You're like me - - a misfit in todays world of Marines. I was given my avitar by a kind soul in here or I would have been like you. Sometimes it's tough to get folks to understand that you and I held the rank and all of its responsibilities - - we just didn't get the benefit of their pay grade/pay raise.:marine:

Been there, done that.:thumbup:

IGNACIO CASTIL
03-29-10, 02:37 PM
My number was 2185xxx joined Oct 65-Oct69,and your right back then you could almost tell by your serial number how long you have been in.I guess nobody has heard If it ain't broke don't fix it.SS#'s bad idea.
Ignacio.

foxman
03-29-10, 03:37 PM
Hey IGNACIO CASTIL, Mine was 2177*** went in Oct 65 from Kentucky. Where did you go in from??

IGNACIO CASTIL
03-29-10, 10:07 PM
Hey IGNACIO CASTIL, Mine was 2177*** went in Oct 65 from Kentucky. Where did you go in from??

I went in 23 Oct 65 TEXAS.:evilgrin:

kaelobo
03-29-10, 10:23 PM
mines 2452 went in1969 rockville maryland

kaelobo
03-29-10, 10:31 PM
i have orginal orders out of boot with at least 20 marines full ss numbers, now thats wrong,

Sheila Hays
03-30-10, 04:57 PM
In 1959 they were using serial #'s, our serial number started with a W711***. W was for the women. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

advanced
04-19-10, 07:17 AM
I enlisted from Tennessee and we were told we were special. Instead of serial numbers or SS numbers we went by "Bubba" or "Jimmy Jo, etc."

tdrt
04-19-10, 09:26 AM
i have orginal orders out of boot with at least 20 marines full ss numbers, now thats wrong,

Same here. I was just going through my "memorabilia" a couple weeks ago and found my original orders with everyone's SSN -- not that I'd even know what to do with them but still....

USMCM38A1
04-19-10, 07:41 PM
Yep its been 25 yrs but my original orders have eveybodys social security numbersl numbers from when we left MEPS.

Sheila Hays
04-20-10, 01:37 PM
It's been 48 years for me, from 1959-1962. Every day I think of my days in the Corps. Serial #W711***. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

LRGANN
05-24-10, 02:14 PM
Mine Was 2514336 In Jan 1969

jerry pattison
05-25-10, 04:48 AM
Nov 1968 2510---

Kenneth Havelka
06-22-10, 09:51 PM
Yes I have seen two drumming out's.They really were bad for the turds that were thrown out.I think Commandant D.M.Shoup knocked it off along with the swagger sticks.
M.C.R.D. S.D.1958 Plt 394 1839131

gkmoz
06-29-10, 05:43 PM
Aug.1968 2479... Still a boot to some ! :D

hbharrison
06-29-10, 07:23 PM
Actually the DOD finally realized that those GOAT ROPERS in Kansas have trouble walking across the road and chewing buble gum at the same time, so they made it easier for them to remember the SSN.

FNG, thinks he knows it all......

At least we can rope a goat and don't have to run them down with the vehicle and yes I remember my ID#. :D

karen8857
06-29-10, 09:39 PM
Mine was 2108xxx and had that until the 70's

cedarbird6
07-04-10, 04:04 AM
right...jan '02 went to ssn...
everyonw still remember thier service #?

I have 3 daughters, and I could never keep their names straight. I have 7 grandkids and I have to think twice before I call their names, and even then some times I get them mixed up..

It is virtually impossible for me to forget my service number. During boot inspection our DI would look at my rifle number and ask for my service number. Naturally I gave out my rifle number.

The DI would give that eye-ball to eye-ball dagger stare and ask why my forcken service number was the same as my forking rifle number…

So my SN is 15611**
I cannot explain why it is I can remember it so clearly http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

DrZ
07-04-10, 08:57 AM
2650xxx and I remember when they changed to SSn. Thought it was a fool idea and if I remember correctly.... I thought there were many fool ideas coming out of whomever made the decisions during that time.

Wyoming
07-04-10, 09:24 AM
I have 3 daughters, and I could never keep their names straight. I have 7 grandkids and I have to think twice before I call their names, and even then some times I get them mixed up..

It is virtually impossible for me to forget my service number. During boot inspection our DI would look at my rifle number and ask for my service number. Naturally I gave out my rifle number.

The DI would give that eye-ball to eye-ball dagger stare and ask why my forcken service number was the same as my forking rifle number…

So my SN is 15611**
I cannot explain why it is I can remember it so clearly http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

You hit the nail on the head with that one.

Samo, samo, re; the rifle number and service number.

I still remember my number.

hbharrison
07-04-10, 12:01 PM
Yes I do remember my Ser#2145xxx and I do remember my first rifle number 11856 don't know why I remember that first rifle could be becuase the Gunny casme in one day and tosed them all in a pile they said that we better get out rifle not or else. Well the or else was doing squats till the cow came home I did not know one could do that many squats and not die.:D

Zulu 36
07-04-10, 12:14 PM
Funny, I can't remember any of my rifle serial numbers, including the last one I had in the Air Guard. I did have them memorized at the time.

My service number is another matter. I've never forgotten it.

Jarhead6468
07-17-10, 06:57 AM
2096XXX, Swore in 5-5-64 in Philly.

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
11-06-10, 09:20 AM
right...jan '02 went to ssn...everyonw still remember thier service #?

Can't forget.....it's a Tat.

:usmc:

jumpinjack
11-06-10, 09:36 AM
24751xx never ever forget it. They use SS #'s now don't they?

kaelobo
11-06-10, 11:35 AM
i do 24529## cant remember my phone #,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,usmc

dhuntington
11-06-10, 01:15 PM
My son is shipping out to PI on Jan. 10th. At MEPS he got his own barcode. If you scan it, his ssn# pops right up!!! I'm thinking THAT'S an ID fraud opportunity, big time!

leprechaun9544
11-06-10, 01:36 PM
No problem with remembering my service number: 2012xxx and really don't understand what the reason was to go to using SS#'s

silverdollar
11-07-10, 07:26 AM
service number is 1485912. too many rifles to remember.

recon0311
11-28-10, 06:05 PM

Mine was 2747xxx in Dec 1971 MCRD PI

Semper Fi

IGNACIO CASTIL
11-28-10, 06:31 PM
mine was 2185xxxx in 1965 PLT 3008 mcrd.

Ignacio 65-69 Semper Fi

watercat
11-28-10, 08:52 PM
Goodness gracious guys,am I the oldest old fart around? Serial # from Parris Island SC was 1397925. Forgot my M-1 rifle number about 5 years ago. You'all hang in there.

EGA1957
11-28-10, 09:08 PM
Goodness gracious guys,am I the oldest old fart around? Serial # from Parris Island SC was 1397925. Forgot my M-1 rifle number about 5 years ago. You'all hang in there.
Since Silverdollar's S/N is 148XXXX AND he enlisted the same year (1954)as you makes me wonder how "blocks" of "S/N"s were issued. It sure doesn't seem like the Corps trained 90,000 a year as the reason your two S/N's are that far apart.

My 1800052 S/N was assigned in 1957 (and most everyone I was in bootcamp with with had 160XXXX S/Ns).

And I asked once in this Forum what happened to the 170XXXX series but no-one seemed to know.

So maybe some other blocks of S/N's were skipped.

linda1945
11-28-10, 11:53 PM
My serial number was W711***, there I put it down for the fourth time. W is for woman. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Like yours Shiela, mine was also with a "W" in front of it and I was W715***. Made new dog tags at CamPen in 1964 and 1965.
Gads! Some of them dogs tags were damaged until they were hardly recognized!!
Semper Fi
Lin :usmc:

linda1945
11-29-10, 12:05 AM
W711*** service # or whatever, I still have one of my dogtags. It's all metal, it made me break out in a rash when ever I wore them. I had to put cream on my chest. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Yep! I still have one of mine and carry it on a key chain in my purse! All metal.
Semper Fi
Lin :usmc:

poppione
11-29-10, 12:28 AM
poppione CPL July 1959 to April 16 1963.I received an early cut and did not have to remain until June 30 1963. Never had to pull mess duty.
Service #186xxxx.

Sheila Hays
11-30-10, 01:21 PM
My serial #W711*** makes me feel old as dirt. I joined on Sept.11, 1959, graduated on Oct.23 1959. Honorably Discharged. Had a great time in the Corps, dated only six Marines. Married the sixth...

lcpl4life
11-30-10, 04:04 PM
On most things now they use just the last 4 numbers of your social, but our dumb@$$ fro lost his external hard drive at a family function it was never found and we never got any answers if it had our socials on it or not, but where where told it had our personal info on it. Needless to say we where all keeping an eye on our credit reports for a while. Nothing happened to him, It must be nice to be a retired Master Guns.

herb1013
01-07-11, 06:42 PM
mine was 138xxxx from 53 to 56 then uncle decided he needed my service with the U.S. Army and that one was U.S 513xxxxx and yes I can recite them both.

radio relay
02-11-11, 03:56 PM
I entered in May of '68, my S/N was 242XXXX ... I was also issued dog tags with the "tooth notch" (which was actually a notch that the stamper used to align the tag in the machine as it stamped the tag). By the time I left Active Duty in May, '71, new Marines were showing up with their serial numbers being the same as their social security numbers .

They also added the Master Gunnery Sergeant, and Master Sergeant ranks sometime between '68 and '71. When I went in, there were just Sergeants Major at E-9, and First Sergeants at E-8. I remember seeing a Master Gunnery Sergeant in the PX, but didn't have any in any of the units I served in, and didn't ever run across any Master Sergeants.

jumpinjack
02-11-11, 05:26 PM
I joined in 1968, mine was 247---- MCRDSD platoon 2004.

radio relay
02-11-11, 06:11 PM
I joined in 1968, mine was 247---- MCRDSD platoon 2004.

I was Platoon 2006, MCRD SD, summer 1968. The four platoons in my series were 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Sheila Hays
02-15-11, 12:28 AM
I still have one of my dog tags, its all metal with a gap in the front of it. It lists my name serial W711***, also my religion and blood type. I thought the gap was used if something happened to me, they would shove it into my teeth.

linda1945
02-15-11, 01:03 AM
I still have my one od my original dog tags, with name, W715***, religion and blood type, but didn't have the notched typed. Carry it on my key chain in my purse. That tag has been with me for 47 yr. now.
Semper Fi
Lin

radio relay
02-15-11, 02:34 AM
I still have one of my dog tags, its all metal with a gap in the front of it. It lists my name serial W711***, also my religion and blood type. I thought the gap was used if something happened to me, they would shove it into my teeth.

Yes, that's why it's called the "tooth notch". I can even remember a salty Corpsman telling us boots that's what the notch was for. It may very well have been used for that purpose, too, but it was not the main reason.

I've found two explanations ....

1.It was there was to hold the tag in the stamping machine while it was being stamped. This link from snopes.com quotes DoD's "Mortuary Affairs" saying it was used in the stamping machine.
http://www.snopes.com/military/notch.asp

2. It was used to align the tag in the "adressograph" imprinting machine, that transferred data from the tag to medical and burial records. The link bellow supports that theory, and even has a picture:
https://www.armydogtags.com/a_PurposeNotch.php
https://www.armydogtags.com/images/NotchPurpose/addressograph70_11.jpg

A Marine I met, who had been held in Casual Company, while he was recovering from some injury in bootcamp, told me he had been given the job of stamping tags, and the notch was used for aligning the tag in the stamping machine.

So, there you go. Personally, I like the "jammed in your mouth on the battlefield" explanation best :cool:

linda1945
02-15-11, 05:14 AM
I used to make new dog tags while stationed at CamPen. Back there in that little corner was yucky and that typewriter was hard as hell typing out all the info on the tags. Took me forever to make one dogtag. In fact, made me an extra set, but they got lost in a house fire back in '86.
Semper Fi
Lin

Sheila Hays
02-15-11, 12:05 PM
We were told in boot camp that the notch was used to identify our bodies. They shoved it into our teeth, in that way we would never lose our identity. I guess if I was dead, I wouldn't care who messed up my teeth. I never went to battle.

EGA1957
02-15-11, 12:14 PM
For the history behind the dog tag "saga," this is probably the best authority:
http://www.qmfound.com/short_history_of_identification_tags.htm

herb1013
02-15-11, 12:20 PM
We also were told in boot camp that the notch was inserted between the upper teeth and lower teeth then head and lower jaw were wacked together to permanently fasten the tag between the teeth. It hurts just thinking about it 58 years later. I still cant sleep on my back because of the time I had to sleep with 35 M-1 rifles from my ankle to my neck from 9pm till 5am. All because I called my rifle a gun.

tracs1833
02-23-11, 01:20 AM
I enlisted in Jan 1969 and my service number was 2419xxx. I never could figure out how they came up with the numbers issued. I knew guys that were in a year or so before me that had higher numbers than mine.

johnry
02-23-11, 08:31 AM
from what i understand recruiting districs were given blocks of service numbers

pecks1937
03-08-11, 07:00 PM

Some moron bureaucrat do doubt.But this happened way back in 1958 I think

Brianhipwell
03-08-11, 07:26 PM
Yep. I joined the Vermont National Guard in 2000 when I was 54. I marked all my stuff with the first letter of my surname and my last four. This was a very stupid move by the DoD. I hope it's done away with and serial numbers become the standard again.

pnwhite
03-08-11, 08:06 PM
Well Brian and pecks - I think pecks is having trouble with his keyboard. At first I thought he (pecks) had hit 58 when he meant 85. but then I looked at his "Public profile" and noticed that he entered the Corps in 1954(?) and is still in? ? ? ? ? ? ?
But, in regard to the use of serial numbers vs Social Security numbers, just start at entry #1 and read through to message #214 and you'll be able to figure out when they switched. As for why they switched - I don't know.

Zulu 36
03-08-11, 08:24 PM
The switch happened about 1972-73 era. I went in in 1971 and got a service number.

As I recall, the reason was that since every service person had to have a SSN, which was unique (and rarely stolen then), so why issue service numbers too? As long as I was in the Corps (until late 1978), every form that wanted my SSN also wanted my service number too since I had one. Go figure.

pnwhite
03-08-11, 08:27 PM
Foxman - Funny you mentioned Gen. Krulak. I was in just a few years before you, and I'm only 5' - 6". When I was in Purdue University, I was in R.O.T.C. and on the Purdue Drill Team, so I knew how to dress, how to do the manual of arms and to march, but one of the things I remember was my encounter with Gen. Krulak. As you know, he's not very tall, but he is taller than me. Anyway, he was inspecting us one day on the grinder at San Diego. This was just after we had to change from brown leather to black leather (or visa versa). So we had to get our shoes and the bill of our hats dyed and then re-polished. Having all that spit and polish on the drill team, I had my shoes and the bill of my hat in tip top shape immediately, and that was good because just a few days after the order came down to change, we had that inspection. Well as he was walking through the ranks, when he stopped in front of me, I'm standing there waiting for him to yank my rifle, but he never did. he sure did give me the once over though, and just as he turned to go to the next Marine, he said to my Company Commander "Good looking Marine". After the parade was over and we were back at our barraks, I got to bragging about my compliment and my company commander said that the reason he said what he said was that I was the only Marine out there that he could see the bill on my hat.

pnwhite
03-08-11, 09:02 PM
Sheila - I was stationed at MCRD San Diego for a little over a year. I was in boot camp from February 2 until sometime in late May or early June. I had 30 days leave and then I returned to MCRD for 46 or 47 weeks of radar training. They had just moved the training from Treasure Island to MCRD. Anyway when I graduated I reported to MCAS Beaufort S.C. on Memorial Day weekend 1962. So that drumming out took place probably in the summer or fall of 1961. I guess that when I was told that everyone on base was in formation that day, that might not have been true.

pnwhite
03-08-11, 09:42 PM
Yes I do remember my Ser#2145xxx and I do remember my first rifle number 11856 don't know why I remember that first rifle could be becuase the Gunny casme in one day and tosed them all in a pile they said that we better get out rifle not or else. Well the or else was doing squats till the cow came home I did not know one could do that many squats and not die.:D

Harrison - By squats, do you mean deep knee bends or squat-thrusts?

shortimer
09-23-11, 12:21 AM
115xxxx 1950 San Diego

Sheila Hays
09-26-11, 02:15 PM
I remember Gen. Krurak, he was really short. He was inspecting the WM's, we had Junk of the Bunk also. It was a CG insp., the officer just ran thru our barracks. My serial #'s were W711***, the W was for Woman.

jamielang1951
09-26-11, 02:38 PM
That's one number I'll never forget. That's why I add 6 uppercase/lowercase letters and symbols to it and use it sometimes as a password (not here TL:p). Then I change those 6 each month and scramble my serial. Easy to remember, near impossible to break, unless your the CIA or FBI with a supercomputer.

:usmc:Semper Fi:usmc:

Apache
09-26-11, 03:43 PM
I learned mine quickly
I had a large gorilla beating it into my brain housing group

cubawatcher
09-26-11, 05:17 PM
Not only can I recite mine from memory 50 years later but that of both the 2 friends I enlisted with. I still have all the orders I received during my 4 years in the Corps.Since many were mineographed some are fading quite a bit.Trip down memory lane to look at them.And of coarse on every set are the ss of everyone else that was going tdy or assigned a new duty station at the same time I was.

jamielang1951
09-26-11, 07:22 PM
Tom.
It’s a good ideal to scan those to your computer. I scan all my old documents such as birth and death certificates, deeds, medical info, important receipts, ect., ect. Once scanned the are easily restored by someone familiar with something like Photoshop.

If you know how to use a scanner it’s a fairly simple process. But I remember when I first started with Windows 95, NOTHING was simple. Before Windows, I had to learn MS/DOS for my job.

In your “Documents” or “My Documents” folder, according to your version of Windows, you can create a “Important Docs” folder then inside that you can create different folders for each type document. That way they are organized for you to easily find. When scanning I choose “save as” .jpg files, as that creates smaller files that won’t take up much room on your hard drive, or on a disk. I would also advise doing the same with all old photos saving those to your “Pictures” folder. Do the same there as in the “My Documents” folder, that is creating folders inside the “Pictures” folder to keep them organized.

An add bonus is that the documents and photo can easily be restored using a program such as Photoshop. Restoring can be as simple as using the “auto” tone, color, contrast or sharpen function in Photoshop. To be sure all these are safe, I suggest saving to at least three different media. In other words, save at least three different ways.. I have them on an external hard drive, on DVD’s and backed up online. I have been doing this for three years now and still have boxes full of photos to scan.

I’m going to start a thread in the near future on PC and internet help/security, and do a step by step screenshot on just such subjects.

:usmc:Semper Fi

HAWK0331
09-26-11, 07:45 PM
In the 80's they used your SSN" in fact it was even on your dogtags. I don't wear mine anymore for that very reason.

cubawatcher
09-27-11, 03:57 PM
I had never given that a thought.Good idea!It is a shame to watch theses things slowly self destruct.I'm going to give it a try.Thanks again and of coarse SEMPER FI

ppater11
09-29-11, 04:45 AM
Mine was 1108310. Anyone remember SSgt Deason, DI, MCRD San Diego? I graduated in December, 1950 and can't remember my platoon number. I know, sounds stupid, but wait until you've lost it, kiddo.

cubawatcher
09-30-11, 06:22 PM
Foxman - Funny you mentioned Gen. Krulak. I was in just a few years before you, and I'm only 5' - 6". When I was in Purdue University, I was in R.O.T.C. and on the Purdue Drill Team, so I knew how to dress, how to do the manual of arms and to march, but one of the things I remember was my encounter with Gen. Krulak. As you know, he's not very tall, but he is taller than me. Anyway, he was inspecting us one day on the grinder at San Diego. This was just after we had to change from brown leather to black leather (or visa versa). So we had to get our shoes and the bill of our hats dyed and then re-polished. Having all that spit and polish on the drill team, I had my shoes and the bill of my hat in tip top shape immediately, and that was good because just a few days after the order came down to change, we had that inspection. Well as he was walking through the ranks, when he stopped in front of me, I'm standing there waiting for him to yank my rifle, but he never did. he sure did give me the once over though, and just as he turned to go to the next Marine, he said to my Company Commander "Good looking Marine". After the parade was over and we were back at our barraks, I got to bragging about my compliment and my company commander said that the reason he said what he said was that I was the only Marine out there that he could see the bill on my hat.

While I was in boot camp fall of '61 at San Diego Gen Krulak was base commander.We used to see him occasionally as our living area was quonset huts next to the headquarters complex.We were drilling and Gen Krulak walked over to us.SSGT Rice halted us, right face and stand at attention.He saluted the General who returned his salute and said "these men look like ****".I need not tell the rest of the story.SSGT Rice was our senior DI and a WWll Vet.Good man,tough but fair.:evilgrin:

EGA1957
09-30-11, 10:25 PM
Since this thread seems to have brought attention to Gen'l Krulak, here's another one.

He was based at Quantico (Maj Gen Merrill B. Twining, who's brother was Lt Gen Nathan B. Twining - was Base Commandant) while I was there.

One of the events Quantico was noted for was it's (this was the 1958) Annual Horseshow (as best I recall, Quantico housed one, if not THE, largest stable in the Marines).

And Gen'l Krulak was apparently quite an accomplished equestrian (or maybe he thought he was), but he was preparing for a jump and just as the horse was about to lift for the hurdle, a base photographer snapped a flash picture.

Apparently that caused the horse to buck and the Gen'l went flying off. He got up and lit into the photographer -much to that person's chagrin.

The Gen'l may have been short of stature, but he was plum full of vinegar that day.

shortimer
10-06-11, 11:45 PM
Mine was 1108310. Anyone remember SSgt Deason, DI, MCRD San Diego? I graduated in December, 1950 and can't remember my platoon number. I know, sounds stupid, but wait until you've lost it, kiddo.
I also graduated in December,1950. I will never forget my service number but I can't remember my platoon number nor my rifle number which I thought was burned into my brain. Our Senior DI was PFC Duran, a Bataan survivor and the sharpest marine that I was ever around. We never found out why he only had one strip. After we graduated all the other DI's would tell us was that it was a very interested story. There was one other platoon that graduated the same week as us. I had some friends from Amarillo, Texas, in the two platoons behind us. My number is 1152565 so you are senior to me.

mcrdsddi74
12-08-11, 10:54 AM
I was a Unit Diary Clerk (Remington Raider) in '72 and I was responsible for changing all of our Marine's MSN's to SSN's. I think it is a good thing they are changing them back.
Semper FI

McT ontheRock71
12-16-11, 08:32 AM
I was in when they made the change. I didn't see the necessity of making the change in the first place. The only thing that was told to us was that it was to make the joint services more uniform. I can't figure out why the Marine Corps would want to be more like the other services. Only our ID cards were reissued with the ssn on them. Does anyone know when this happens, will they sequentially pick up where they left off?

oh chop
12-19-11, 07:31 PM
It changes, and changes, as time goes on. Wait until you see guys with bar codes on their necks. (real ones, or chips) or on the arm. Easy access, and the property of the U.S. government.:thumbdown

salt
01-03-12, 01:01 PM
Anyone from the Apr54 Plt 315, SDI J. Runge, JDI T. Winski (Who just graduated two plts ahead of us. Our S#'s ranged from l3 to mine l459798 Eckert. Runge was from Colorado and had just returned from Korea. Semper Fi!!

Sheila Hays
01-03-12, 02:11 PM
I remember Gen. Krulak, he was the C.G. at MCRD in San Diego. We had a C.G. inspection and he stood behind me, and questioned Capt. Hayes about my uniform being pleated in the back. We were in our summers and wore dresses, they were green and white pinstripe with big green buttons. The men pleated their blouses, so I did the same with my uniform. My serial #was W711***.:flag::angel:

Kenneth Havelka
03-03-12, 06:48 PM
Sept.1958 Plt 394 MCRDSD 1839131

Cando
03-05-12, 12:40 PM
Hey guys, trying to type this, forgive me if I make a mistake, still till next week, Doc to do surgery, on right hand, anyway, 65- 21911xx 2nd bat. MCRD, SD.
Semper Fi
Cando

FistFu68
03-05-12, 02:04 PM
:evilgrin: Gruenwald J.E.2439364 (0311) Class Of '68,Graduation was a B**CH!!! :beer: :D

Cando
03-05-12, 02:57 PM
Yes Sir, So was the Cat that broke my hand last week, then got chewed out, By my wife and then the Locals, Sez, I am retired, to let the young ones do it, I hunted for almost an hour, didn't find the xxxxxx-fxxk anyway. Oh well. Bootcamp.? yea, now I remember, had a couple of DI's and everything. LOL
Semper Fi.
Cando :marine:

Bruce59
03-05-12, 04:23 PM
Parris Island 1959 Plt 378 1883755

O.R. Davis
03-05-12, 07:00 PM
My Dad's was 278198 & mine started with 207#### His, 1939, mine 1963

moonspinner
03-12-12, 11:56 AM
Yes it's true. I went in in may of 1961 and my serial number was 1964288. I think they changed in 1962.

Otter5
03-16-12, 03:39 PM
Hec I was given a service number on tha yellow footprints and told very heavily, "DO NoT FORGET THAT NUMBER", I still know it today Once a Marine always a Marine

William Hardy
03-16-12, 09:28 PM
May of 1967 - 2368512
Sometime in the 70s I started getting orders, etc with both my SN and SSN. This was pre-internet and it was not considered a problem. Once the bad guys started using the SSN to obtain information, especially after the internet came in, only the last 4 were used. I still have a seabag with my full SB/SSN. My newer ones have only my last 4. In 2006 when I went to Iraq, we couldn't put even the last 4 on the bags nor could we put our rank. It was a protection against someone trying to sabotage the bags of the leadership. How things changed over 40 years.

radio relay
03-17-12, 07:14 AM
Hec I was given a service number on tha yellow footprints and told very heavily, "DO NoT FORGET THAT NUMBER", I still know it today Once a Marine always a Marine
Yeah, it's weird how you still remember it. When I got an account on the Social Security Website, they make you use your SSN as your user-id, and I used my old serial number for the password because it's something I'll not forget.

cpllawson
03-25-12, 06:13 PM
Fifty four years ago my ser# was 1485912.:marine:

I enlisted in 1956 and received s/n 1639513

LONESOME
04-11-12, 07:26 PM
I joined the corps in 67 with a s/n 231xxxx and your right, it is a number I will never forget.

fontman
04-11-12, 09:24 PM
I was on the yellow footprints on Feb. 2, 1970 and my MSN is 2654516. I was (and still am) an Hollywood Marine!