PDA

View Full Version : My Computer and the Corps

whitt009
05-28-08, 04:50 PM
So, I have a nice computer. I paid almost $1500 putting it together.

2 nVidia 8800 GTX running SLI mode
2.8g quad core processor
2g RAM
24 inch widescreen monitor.

Why am I telling you this?

I'm about to sell it...for about $600. I've got a long way to go in my quest for the title...but I think this will eliminate a big distraction and get me well on my way. I know it may seem lame but...at this point I'm willing to do anything to get myself where I need to be and sitting at this damn computer every day doesn't help for sure. :mad:

Marine84
05-28-08, 05:00 PM
So ah.........................what you want? A cookie?

whitt009
05-28-08, 05:02 PM
Good point.

**edit**

...depends on the cookie.

Marine84
05-28-08, 05:11 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SlingerDun
05-28-08, 05:14 PM
$600 and its worth around $1500? man you ain't much on horse tradin, and you sure may regret it if you become a Marine and wanna get back online once you get assigned duty. If the machine is such a distraction suck it up and show some discipline, take the thing apart, box and tape, then store it in the folks' attic. You don't want to replace that on PFC's pay.

whitt009
05-28-08, 05:18 PM
If the machine is such a distraction suck it up and show some discipline, take the thing apart, box and tape, then store it in the folks' attic.

This is a much better idea than my own.

NicholasITALY
05-28-08, 06:32 PM
I have the same problem, but I realized that if I turn my computer off, and instead of typing or play computer games I walk, or run or do something else with my friends, well all I can say is **** THE COMPUTER.
But don't sell it. You will need it. Try to say NO to the computer. Just like I did. I now run everyday, study everyday, and have fun with my friends everyday.

Don't sell it. Just say no.

whitt009
05-28-08, 06:35 PM
Yeah, it would be as simple. Lately I've been wrestling with losing my two jobs, so my bills are finally catching up to me. I hate asking the parents for anything. Hell, I'm 22. So...it just may come to necessity.

BR34
05-28-08, 07:06 PM
I boxed up my computer while getting ready for bootcamp. Worked pretty well since I was too lazy to unbox it when the itch came.

Haffner
05-28-08, 08:57 PM
I bet you can sell that thing off for $2250 to a hardcore gamer with relative ease.

However, I'd keep it. If you have a good friend that you can trust with borrowing the monitor (not the actual tower, though, never trust anyone with that!) let them borrow it until you get your EGA. Can't mess around with it without a monitor, that way, though, everything on the tower is secure and not getting all jacked up with viruses and adware, you can't use it, your friend has a bigger monitor for a while, etc etc.

Or hell, just sell the monitor and buy a new one after you get an EGA. Be creative: don't jsut go to the worst case scenario of dealing with this.

gobuffs10
05-29-08, 10:58 AM
**** i'll buy it.

OB MSG
05-29-08, 11:31 AM
In my opinion, and in the opinion of others in here, you should at least keep the tower. That way you can focus yourself, not go further into debt, get yourself in shape and be ready to ship. Monitors will still be there, you can buy a new one as a guilty purchase or as a present (if you need one) for completing Boot.

As for the monitor, loan it or sell it, your choice. If you still have the box with the packing materials then you can ship it too. But I know that when I got to my school and later to my duty station I was on other peoples comps because I hadn't yet saved up enough to get my own.

My two cents.

bgsuwoody
05-29-08, 11:41 AM
22 years old and no willpower or discipline, your gonna half a tough running in the Corps.

Just put the damn computer away or create yourself a damn schedule you can follow where the whole day is tasked and you can use the computer for so long and work out so long, so on and so on. I can't stay away from the computer, but I know when to leave and when it is detrimental to conducting my job and helping my brothers.

AL49BGN
05-29-08, 12:26 PM
If you don't have the will power and to stay off the computer you are going to have it tough in Boot Camp.Just put your computer away,stop whining and work at what you have to do.